chute flap

edd

Threads
i am looking at ways to cut down on rocks and objects flying out from under a deck......dont want a full plate block although i did make one out of 2 car tags....painted it and it worked fine i just dont want everything kept under my deck.....how about hanging short pieces of small chain from my chute flap like you see around the discharge on bush hogs or flail mowers......or a piece of heavy duty mesh wire attached to the chute flap.....these would still allow airflow and discharge but i think would stop rocks from sailing out....any body ever done this?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see two problems. Accidental sucking the chain I'm the deck. And the chain grabbing clippings and possibly getting clogged up and leaving clumps

edd

Threads
yeah I would have to put the chains far enough away to avoid that......I built a rabbit cage with some wire that comes in panels with small square openings and think I can cut a panel and wire it to my flap......this would allow air flow and woild serve the purpose.....am going to experiment with this ......I think the chains will work if I put them far enough away from the opening to stay out of the blades

Nwatson99

Threads
I know this is an old topic, but since you are leaning towards the chain which is a good idea, you need to replace "if you do not already have one" your discharge chute to a metal one or hard composite chute.
The strong and stiff chute will allow you to hang chains off of it closer to the end without distortion and keep it structurally intact.

Now the drawback is you will be cleaning the chains often due to grass build up especially if your grass is damp or wet when you mow.