Chugga-chugga-chugga

Coelacanth64

Threads
Folks,
Last fall I was mowing normally with my old ‘92, 1440 Cub, when she suddenly started blowing white smoke and bogging down. Upon examination the air cleaner was wet with oil, so I was concerned that something major had let go.
Our local small engine expert owed me one, so I asked him to run a complete diagnostic. This mower may be old, but up until now it has always run like new. I hated to see it finally get retired.
Well, he told me he checked everything. Compression test, etc., etc. He said he couldn’t find anything wrong. I thought that maybe a ring had failed? He didn’t think so.
So, I took it back.
But, the situation now is this. It starts normally. However, unless I remove the air filter it will sputter and quit. If I run it sans filter it will run, but it seems to have much less power. I used it to blow snow last month. It would do so, but deeper snow caused it to big down. Never had this happen before. It definitely has lost power.
I don’t see any oil in the air cleaner assembly now, but I’m wondering if this is a carburetor issue??

Now that it’s coming up on mowing season I’d like to figure this out, or I’ll need to look for another mower.

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without the engine information we are guessing on what the issue could be. My first three guesses are gas in the oil, clogged air filter or broken breather

Coelacanth64

Threads
Engine data.

Attachments

• 08CAA430-3617-450C-97D2-2AF85DE6C1BF.png
    08CAA430-3617-450C-97D2-2AF85DE6C1BF.png
    454.7 KB · Views: 2

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What IL is needing is the model and type number off the engine's rocker (valve) cover.

Sound like the tech didn't do his job as oil in the air cleaner has definitely a sourced problem. I had several shops here that couldn't even diagnose a blown head gasket.

There is multiple non invasive tests that can be performed looking for the problem along the most important one, the use of the experience. As IL said it can be any one of several problems.

Coelacanth64

Threads
What IL is needing is the model and type number off the engine's rocker (valve) cover.

Sound like the tech didn't do his job as oil in the air cleaner has definitely a sourced problem. I had several shops here that couldn't even diagnose a blown head gasket.

There is multiple non invasive tests that can be performed looking for the problem along the most important one, the use of the experience. As IL said it can be any one of several problems.
Is this what’s needed?

Attachments

• E6C2F216-F528-4C2A-A2CB-8E378E301430.jpeg
    E6C2F216-F528-4C2A-A2CB-8E378E301430.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like a Briggs Vanguard. Being a 92 I would be checking the breather assembly which should be located in the V between the cylinders mounted to the block under the air cleaner backing plate. I have seen more than one of the fiber disc fail or in a couple of cases disappear from the breather entirely

Could be something like a head gasket leaking also but the breather is a lower hanging fruit than pulling all the sheet metal to remove the head. Or in your case could require removing the engine from the mower to be able to get the blower housing off and remove the intake bolts to remove the head.

Coelacanth64

Threads
Looks like a Briggs Vanguard. Being a 92 I would be checking the breather assembly which should be located in the V between the cylinders mounted to the block under the air cleaner backing plate. I have seen more than one of the fiber disc fail or in a couple of cases disappear from the breather entirely

Could be something like a head gasket leaking also but the breather is a lower hanging fruit than pulling all the sheet metal to remove the head. Or in your case could require removing the engine from the mower to be able to get the blower housing off and remove the intake bolts to remove the head.
Thanks, again.
I‘ll try the breather assembly.
If it looks like it’ll require engine removal I may ship it out.
I’ve always done my own repairs, but I’m not getting any younger.

Best,
Jack

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the plugs. Do they look the same? If one is oily black suspect a blown head gasket.

Coelacanth64

Threads
Thanks, again.
I‘ll try the breather assembly.
If it looks like it’ll require engine removal I may ship it out.
I’ve always done my own repairs, but I’m not getting any younger.

Best,
Jack
O.K.,….everything was clear, but the breather tube was cracked, ordering a replacement.
On a lighter note, the right hand spark plug boot wasn’t pushed all the way down on the spark plug. Came back from the repair guy that way. Couldn’t see it until I took the side covers off to check the plug color. Pushed it down, runs like new. Go figure.
Yes, I do feel like a moron. 😖

Thanks, folks!

Addendum: Yes, ran great until I reinstalled the air filter. Then I coughed, smoked and died. I tried it again. I thought the filter would be sucked into the carb throat!
So, I ordered another filter. Installed it today. Mower now really runs like new.
I’ve heard if dirty filters, but this was a new one on me.

Last edited: