Choosing the best mower

touree

Threads
I have heard it said that an electric mower is not suitable on large scale lawns. I suppose the main hassle would be in setting up the extension cables and all.

In that case then a petrol mower would come in handy. Which model guarantees ease in getting spare parts?

lizard

Threads
Get a 'Reel' push mower.....:eek:....cheap and sweaty.........lol

Ifixdit

Threads
Touree, I guess I would be interested in knowing what mower brands are available in Africa?

touree

Threads
My grandpa had a John Deere but nowadays it never leaves the garage.....:mad:. Basically, you can find any other model apart from the locally assembled ones.

You wanted to ship in some?

Ifixdit

Threads
Nothin' runs like a Deere.........or so they say. I think I would be sweet talking grandpa into fessin' up his mower.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which model guarantees ease in getting spare parts?

That is strictly do to the popularity of a particular brand in your location... if there are a lot of any brand ... there will eventually be a distributor filling the need for parts.

What brands seem to be the MOST popular in your area??
:smile:KennyV

landscaper

Threads
I think battery operated lawn mowers can also be considered as electric powered. :D Just charge you batteries and you can go mowing without the hassle of a power cord.

earthworm

Threads
How many battery powered automobiles do you know about ?
But somewhere in Africa ??
Limited selection !!
One possible Africian advantage...lax pollution laws, if any.
VW Diesel pick ups are being built in South Africa ,IIRC.
So why not two-stroke Lawn Boys ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
So why not two-stroke Lawn Boys ?

For the same reason there are not a lot of 2 cycle diesel over the road trucks today... someone noticed what was happening to the air... :smile:KennyV

benski

Threads
I have heard it said that an electric mower is not suitable on large scale lawns. I suppose the main hassle would be in setting up the extension cables and all.

In that case then a petrol mower would come in handy. Which model guarantees ease in getting spare parts?

I'll bet there aren't any guarantees in most of Africa. Talk to some of your friends and neighbors about parts support and serviceability. They'll know what has support and what doesn't. Just my $.02.