Blades Changing blades

Steve161

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a Cub Cadet RZT50, model 17A12ACP056, ser 1C049G10117. I purchased new blades for it. The manual doesn't really give great instructions on how to replace the blades. It does say to use a 7/8 socket Ithink, and that you can hold the nut onth top to remove. Are there actual bolts running through the entire bearing assembly to the upper deck holding the baldes on. If somebody could just let me know how to do this it would be appreciated. I'm not even sure which way to loosen or tighten etc. Thank you much !!

My_guy99

Threads
Best thing to do is use a blade holder an impact to break it loose if you have them. I personally hold the blade with a very sturdy pair if gloves, dangerous I must admit so of course at your own risk! You also could use a very sturdy pc of 2 / 4 and stick it in the side discharge chute if you have that set up.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello, I have a Cub Cadet RZT50, model 17A12ACP056, ser 1C049G10117. I purchased new blades for it. The manual doesn't really give great instructions on how to replace the blades. It does say to use a 7/8 socket Ithink, and that you can hold the nut onth top to remove. Are there actual bolts running through the entire bearing assembly to the upper deck holding the baldes on. If somebody could just let me know how to do this it would be appreciated. I'm not even sure which way to loosen or tighten etc. Thank you much !!

I believe it's loosen left and tighten right at least the Z force is and definitely get a wrench on the middle spindle top to hold it in place. The other two spindles you can just loosen the nuts on the bottom of the spindles to remove the blades, and the impact is the way to go if possible.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't own a CC and have never changed a CC blade of any model but I'm wondering what happens if the Original Poster follows the manual instructions and the nut on top of the pulley loosens before the blade nut loosens . OK, I'll answer my own question. He is screwed .

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't own a CC and have never changed a CC blade of any model but I'm wondering what happens if the Original Poster follows the manual instructions and the nut on top of the pulley loosens before the blade nut loosens . OK, I'll answer my own question. He is screwed .

No he's not screwed, it wont hurt anything it's just a little more work.

LT1045wrh

Threads
My RZT50 is a 2009 model. I change the blades often. It's pretty easy. Just lift the front up high enough to get to the blades. I use my small tractor, hook a chain to the bucket then lift the front of the mower. My neighbor has a big chain on a pulley hanging over a big tree limb. He lifts his mower easily with that set up.
Once you have the blades visible, you can use a block of wood, or blade holder as previously suggested. The blade's center is a star pattern, so the shaft won't turn if you lock the blade with the blade holder. Use a breaker bar to loosen the blade shaft nut. While you are under there, don't forget the grease, if your spindles have grease fittings. All three blades takes me about 1/2 hr. Oh yeah, blow off your mower before you start, this way you don't get dirt and grass all in your face and eyes.
Get the torque specks from your owner's manual, or from the Cub Cadet website.
Good luck,
Wendy :biggrin:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
So since there is a star pattern for the blade to mate with I'm thinking the person who wrote the manual and or the manufacturer don't have their act together and neither know much about the product. Very typical when something is built by at least a dozen different vendors from a half dozen countries.

Maybe that's what made possible forums like this to be created so people with a little horse sense can help solve problems the manufacturer knows absolutely nothing about . :thumbsup: