Changing blades on pioneer s series 60" cut

BrownM73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,Im about to change the blades on my pioneer s series mower and was wondering how many ft lbs of torque a lot of you are using on the blades?I know the owners manual calls for 50-60 ft lbs of torque,but I would like some opinions to see if this is enough torque.I will be changing from high lift notched blades to low lift blades because of the grass and sand here in Florida.Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you follow directions in manual you will not go wrong, if manual says 50-60 ft. lbs. torque do not go over 60 ft. lbs. otherwise you will likely stretch bolt threads & or break bolt in spindle.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you follow directions in manual you will not go wrong, if manual says 50-60 ft. lbs. torque do not go over 60 ft. lbs. otherwise you will likely stretch bolt threads & or break bolt in spindle.
Exactly. Sometimes I wonder where it's thought a blade is going to go even if it did come off. And how many blades ever came off that were seated correctly and had 40 lbs. torque on a 5/8" fine thread shaft? My guess is none.

bill1631

Threads
I change the blades on my Country Clipper with an air impact wrench. You don't have to brace the blades, just buzz them off. If you don't want to go over a set torque, just snug them up with the impact and then use a torque wrench. You will have to block the blades to use a hand torque though. With the Country Clippers tilting deck I sit on a short shop stool to do this 5 minute job. No crawling around for this ol guy. Luv my 2009 60" Clipper Boss.
Bill
Northwest IN

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Exactly. Sometimes I wonder where it's thought a blade is going to go even if it did come off. And how many blades ever came off that were seated correctly and had 40 lbs. torque on a 5/8" fine thread shaft? My guess is none.

Blade bolts self tighten in use so highly doubtful if under torquing the blade is a problem.
However at the other end the pulley nut can come loose