Blades Changing blades on L110 and sheared a bolt

SCmalinois

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changed the right side blade today with no problem. Was backing out one of the bolts on the left side when it broke. Got the blade off, now what? I don't have much bolt showing to grab onto and I'm not sure I can drill it out. Do I have to replace the whole spindle? Any difficulties replacing spindles? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
Broken bolts are a big problem for everyone that has to deal with them...
There are several ways to go about it:
LOTS of PB Blaster (one of the best penetrating oils)...
Get the proper size "Easy Out" (you will find nothing about this really easy)
START with a center punch & then Carefully using a LEFT HAND drill bit, drill out the center of the bolt.
Apply MORE PB Blaster, (you will never use too much)...
Use the easy out be careful that you don't tweak it off center, they are very brittle and can break....

If you are lucky, the left hand twist drill bit will remove it as you are drilling out the center of the bolt...
If not so lucky the easy out will turn it out...
If completely Unlucky you will be buying a new spindle... good luck and post back with your results...
There are several techniques here are some youtube clips: easy out bolt remover - YouTube
I have my favorite way of doing it... but there really is No Best way for All bolt sizes, grades and types.... :smile:KennyV

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never worked on a L110 but looking at pics of that part I'd be trying to convince the shaft to drop down out of the bearings and then use a drill press to drill it out to easy out size. With it being a through hole it may come out fairly easy.

SCmalinois

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the ideas - I knew when I felt the bolt break I was in trouble! I'll try to drop the spindle shaft first, if not the entire spindle will have to be removed. Worse case, a new spindle assembly for $$. Thanks.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You shouldn't need to buy anything but a new bolt . On second thought it might be simpler to just remove the deck so you can turn it over and and drill the bolt out .

hiway

Threads
remove spindle and as metioned PB. Maybe a little heat to it. Spindles are around $40 last i recall

JoeM(GA)

Threads
no need to drill or get carried away! there is a nut buried in the crud on top of the bar the blade is mounted to. Take a punch or something small and tap it up into the hole and the nut and whats left of the bolt will come out. New part numbers needed are marked below'

l110blade0001.jpg

l110blade0002.jpg