CH20 Wiring

KK560

Threads
I'm trying to wire a key switch and battery to a CH20 with fixed timing. What type of key switch do i need and where do I run the cables and wires?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any mower key switch would be fine
However which one depends upon what else goes through the switch, things like starter , lights, electric PTO, recharging wire , boom sprayer etc etc etc .
Here are a few options https://www.stens.com/search?keywords=ignition switch .
Car switches will not work on magneto engines because you need to short out the magneto to turn them off
So any switch with 4 or more positions would work.

KK560

Threads
Any mower key switch would be fine
However which one depends upon what else goes through the switch, things like starter , lights, electric PTO, recharging wire , boom sprayer etc etc etc .
Here are a few options https://www.stens.com/search?keywords=ignition switch .
Car switches will not work on magneto engines because you need to short out the magneto to turn them off
So any switch with 4 or more positions would work.
That's kinda my question. What would I need to run to the switch? I have 5, 6, and 7 spade switches to use. The engine has a white wire to the ignition modules, a blue to the spade on the starter solenoid, a purple from the center of the regulator, a green to the oil sensor, one red to the fuel solenoid on the carburetor and another red i can't trace down.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The purple wire can hook directly to the battery side of the starter solenoid. the white wire would connect to the M terminal of the key switch. the M terminal would need to be grounded in the key off position to shut off the engine. Can't use a switch that supplies power to the M other wise will destroy the ignition modules. the red from the fuel solenoid would connect to the A terminal and would require power in both the run and start positions. Blue from the starter solenoid terminal would connect to the S terminal. Green from oil sensor not needed unless wiring to kill the engine if it detects low oil pressure or for powering a low oil pressure light.

KK560

Threads
The purple wire can hook directly to the battery side of the starter solenoid. the white wire would connect to the M terminal of the key switch. the M terminal would need to be grounded in the key off position to shut off the engine. Can't use a switch that supplies power to the M other wise will destroy the ignition modules. the red from the fuel solenoid would connect to the A terminal and would require power in both the run and start positions. Blue from the starter solenoid terminal would connect to the S terminal. Green from oil sensor not needed unless wiring to kill the engine if it detects low oil pressure or for powering a low oil pressure light.
Okay, thanks! Any idea what my other red wire would be to? And should one of the big solenoid studs not have anything?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The solenoid would have a large cable to the battery, which the purple wire can also connect to, and a wire to the key switch. the other big lug would go to the starter with no other wires connects to it., Some of the CH20 had the solenoid on the starter which is the solenoid shift starter type, and one lug is connected directly to the starter motor and the other lug is like I described previously.

If the solenoid is connected to the starter and not a separate component that other red wire could be connected to the battery side of the solenoid on the starter. You need to check where that red wire connects on the engine and then can go from there.

KK560

Threads
The solenoid would have a large cable to the battery, which the purple wire can also connect to, and a wire to the key switch. the other big lug would go to the starter with no other wires connects to it., Some of the CH20 had the solenoid on the starter which is the solenoid shift starter type, and one lug is connected directly to the starter motor and the other lug is like I described previously.

If the solenoid is connected to the starter and not a separate component that other red wire could be connected to the battery side of the solenoid on the starter. You need to check where that red wire connects on the engine and then can go from there.
Okay, this one has the solenoid on the starter. I'm not used to this type. I'm more used to the old k series.