Export thread

carburettor spring etc positions

J

jndshrews

Hi - I have just joined the forum, so thank you in advance.
I have acquired a very old rotavator with a Briggs engine - the serial number is no longer legible but from various sources it is likely to be late 70s/early 80s.
Everything seems to work mechanically, and it has a spark. But the carb (I think it is a choke a matic) had some very odd connections, and the layout is not the same as any in the B&S workshop manual, especially the distance of the governor lever (A) on the attached.
If there are any wise folk out there that can either tell me which spring/connecting wire goes from/to points ABCDE, or could refer me to a picture, I would be most grateful and another old B&S engine will live again (and my plot will be dug!)
Many thanks
Jonathan Davies

Attachments

R

Rivets

I think I can help you, but I need you to check again for model, type and code numbers. You are going to need both a governor link and spring, but without numbers I would only be guessing which ones. The numbers are located under the blue paint I see in you picture. If you remove the paint I’ll bet you will find them. I would try using a small brass wire brush and lacquer thinner. Briggs stamped them in quite deep and they last along time. Give us as many as you can find.

R

Rivets

I should have said that the numbers were on the shroud under the blue paint above the spark plug. Sorry for any confusion.

J

jndshrews

Very many thanks for this, Rivets. Encouraged by your advice I found the numbers under, not only the paint, but also under the remains of a sticker. The numbers are:
100902 0349-01 76081107
Many thanks in anticipation
Jonathan

J

jndshrews

Just seen your second: the numbers I have quoted are above the exhaust.

R

Rivets

Numbers help a lot. I’m attaching a service manual if you don’t have one. Look at the figure #40 in Sec 5 Page 19 which should be your unit. First there should be a second hole under the hole you have labeled A. You need two parts, a throttle link part #260654 and a governor spring part #260703. The governor spring will go from hole A to hole C. The throttle link will go from the hole below hole A to hole D. If this does not seem right please post a couple more pictures of the sides of the carb, as there were a couple different carbs used back in 1976, when your engine was built. Don’t purchase any parts until we are reasonably sure of what you have. https://doc-04-5o-docs.googleuserco...253/*/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00?e=download

J

jndshrews

You really are a total star - very many thanks. Unfortunately the link says that I don't have permission to view it, and the page/fig numbers are different from my 1989 Briggs manual. Any chance you could post a photo of the fig you mention please?
I really do appreciate your responses and help
Jonathan

Attachments

R

Rivets

Try this link. Click on the small down arrow to view. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/view

J

jndshrews

Brilliant - many thanks indeed. Now to try it out!
Huge appreciation
Jonathan