Carburetor problem / Lawnboy 2-cycle 21" Gold Pro Series model 10550 6.5 duraforce

Todd_LeJune

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Carburetor problem / Lawnboy 2-cycle 21" Gold Pro Series model 10550 6.5 duraforce
Carburetor problem / Lawnboy 2-cycle 21" Gold Pro Series model 10550 6.5 duraforce

Hi,

See attachment... I have a Lawn boy 2 stroke 21" GoldPro Series model 10550. It has a 6.5 horse Duraforce Engine. I had a new short block installed at the local Toro dealer in 2017 along with a carb kit. My problem is each time i go to start the mower it's idling at a substantially different RPM than the previous time it was used? The carb has a wind vein style governor (see attachment) that sets rps based on wind speed off the flywheel with adjustment coming from a plastic horizontal wheel on the carb that increases or decreases tension on a spring that goes to the wind vein. I'm finding every time i go to start the mower i will have massive swings in the RPM's from the previous time i turned the mower off and I'm having to spend 15 minutes each time i use it adjusting the carb? If i hit some tall grass it might idle down and never revert back to the RPM's prior to the tall grass?

The existing carb has had 2 kits installed at the dealer which had no impact on the problem so I'm guessing the carb design is flawed or maybe i need a new carb? Not sure what would be different with a new carb versus a new carb kit but I'm willing to try if someone thinks it will have an impact?

Also I was wondering if i could switch this mower to a carburetor with a traditional cable/lever style throttle like the traditional mowers of today? Does anyone know of a cable carb that will fit this mover, possibly someone that might have made the conversion? This is an expensive mower when it was purchased and i find it hard to believe that this type of carb would have been the only option for this block.

thanks in advance!

todd

Attachments

• lawnboy carb.JPG
    lawnboy carb.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 4

Russ2251

Threads
  • / Carburetor problem / Lawnboy 2-cycle 21" Gold Pro Series model 10550 6.5 duraforce
Re: Carburetor problem / Lawnboy 2-cycle 21" Gold Pro Series model 10550 6.5 duraforc

...wondering if i could switch this mower to a carburetor with a traditional cable/lever style throttle like the traditional mowers of today?...
Most new (if not all) push mowers have no throttle control. For the most part they are "pre-set" at the factory.

Check carb for cracks/fractures and that gaskets are intact.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Carburetor problem / Lawnboy 2-cycle 21" Gold Pro Series model 10550 6.5 duraforc

I'm wondering if the governor spring was bent out of shape when the motor was changed. Kind of tricky to get this off especially if the first time. And the vane can rub against the shroud if not lined up just right, has to move freely in it's full range.