Export thread

carburetor for Jake" Estate mower

M

Mike(NEOhio)

I'm beginning to restore a inch Estate that has been in the family since the sixties. It's a mid-50s model with sulky. I used it to mow my grandparents lawn when I was a kid and just hung on to it. I haven't been able to find any diagram or manual for the Tillotson MT26A carb. After soaking the carb I was blowing out the passages and a small brass plug fell out. It's about 1/8 dia. and 3/16 long with small chamfers at each end. Can anyone tell me where it belongs and/or point me to where I can get Tillotson literature. Everything I find online is for later models.

Attachments

P

Pumper54

M

Mike(NEOhio)

I've been on that site and looked at every one of those pdfs. The closest is the E series but they are verticals. All the others are diaphragm types. Mine is horizontal with a brass float.

P

Pumper54

Mike, you might check out an antique motorcycle or car place as they may know something about those carbs. Also send an email or give that place a call to see if they might know how to direct you in the proper direction. Can't hurt.
Tom

reel mower freak

reel mower freak

I'm beginning to restore a inch Estate that has been in the family since the sixties. It's a mid-50s model with sulky. I used it to mow my grandparents lawn when I was a kid and just hung on to it. I haven't been able to find any diagram or manual for the Tillotson MT26A carb. After soaking the carb I was blowing out the passages and a small brass plug fell out. It's about 1/8 dia. and 3/16 long with small chamfers at each end. Can anyone tell me where it belongs and/or point me to where I can get Tillotson literature. Everything I find online is for later models.

It's hard to see but by your description I would think the piece that fell out goes above the float to cut off the gas flow when the bowl is full. I know I've dropped that little thing many times.

Boobala

Boobala

The Tillotson site appears to be your best recourse ... did you see their VINTAGE section column..??
it seems they can rebuild your carb ( if need be ) so I would give em a ring a ling on the ding a ling and ask
for their help... there are good people and good companies out there !! ...Boobala ..:cool:

JUST FOUND THIS ON E-BAY ..ENDS tomorrow !!! March 29 ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-TILLOT...701381?hash=item2cb6848dc5:g:o4gAAOSwEzxYPmHq

BlazNT

BlazNT

Looks like it goes where I circled in red.
jake.jpg

M

Mike(NEOhio)

Looks like it goes where I circled in red.
View attachment 31418

Nope, that's where the idle needle goes. Plug doesn't even fit. The only place it goes in is the main well.

P

Pumper54

Mike kinda hard to see just what that piece is but any chance it is the main jet seat? Or possibly an adjustable main jet? Is it solid or drilled?
Tom

P

Pumper54

Mike,
I posted you problem on a motorcycle forum I am a member of and received a couple of responses from people who know a few things about older bikes and carbs. One was fairly simple: I'd look into the throat of the carburetor for a hole that needs its 1/8" by 3/16" small brass plug.
And the other a bit more detailed: Some older carbs used a spring loaded brass pin, similar to what you describe, as a "friction pin" that rides against the choke butterfly's shaft, to hold it in position when set via cable or lever, maybe someone removed the spring retaining screw and the spring, but failed to dump out the brass pin ???

Hope this information might be of some use to you.
Tom

M

Mike(NEOhio)

That just might be it, Tom. It will drop down into the main well but covers the hole for the load needle at the bottom. I'll check the choke shaft.

Boobala

Boobala

That carb was reposted ..in case you're interested ( about $25.00 w/ S&H )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-TILLOT...389b53c&pid=100033&rk=4&rkt=8&sd=201851378986

...s-l1600.jpg ....s-l1600bb.jpg ....s-l1600cc.jpg

just trying to be helpful ...... if it's that hard to find info & parts ..it may be a deal ...Boobala

M

Mike(NEOhio)

Tom, you nailed it. The upper hole in the picture is for the choke shaft. The welch plug below is where the brass button is installed and pushed back behind the shaft. There is a tiny flat at the lower end of the choke shaft that engages the button when the choke is opened. Now I'll have to take the welch plug out to put it back in. I hope the spring is still in there.

Attachments

P

Pumper54

Mike,
Glad you got it figured out. I will let the guys over at the motorcycle forum know that they helped you out. Carbs are carbs and lots of the old ones where used on lots of different engines
Tom

M

Mike(NEOhio)

Tom,
More good news. I knocked the welch plug out of the bottom of the choke shaft bore. The spring is still in there and I can slip the brass pin in from the bottom. Now if I can just find a rebuild kit.

P

Pumper54

Mike,
Great news on finding the spring in there. Some times those are a PITA to find if they are missing or decide to "fly across the room" on their own. As for the rebuild kit, depending on what you need you might look for the oldest "old fashion" hardware store in the area, the one with dust all over the boxes of parts and take what you need and see what they have that will work. If nothing else you will have a great time roaming around inside there. If you need gaskets you can cut new ones from gasket stock material with a sharp knife using the old one as a guide or press the part onto it to give you a guide.
Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

Tom

M

Mike(NEOhio)

Tom,

I often make my own gaskets. I would like the kit if it has all new welch plugs. That's the only way to be sure everything is clean. If you knock them out carefully they can be re-crowned and put back in but the one covering the idle jets has to be destroyed. I also need the load needle packing and the tiny ring under the brass tube in the load jet. I found a place for marine parts in Michigan that has a kit listed but the email doesn't work. I'll have to call next week.