Carb Spring (Snapper w/ Tecumseh TVXL840)

soccertaxi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings,

I have a Snapper 21" Hi-Vac self-propelled. It has a Tecumseh TVXL-840 5HP 2-cycle engine. For 18 years it has been trouble free, so no complaints. My problem is:

Today, a spring on the carb broke. I've got a replacement part on the way (Tecumseh P/N 490307, Throttle Link Spring) but cannot for the life of me figure out where it connects on the carb assembly. One end appears to sit in a notch on the Governor lever, but where does the other (carb) end connect? When the current spring failed, it failed at the hook on carb end, and the other end (governor lever end) came free as well. The spring wraps around the governor link (the connection rod between the governor and the butterfly actuator). However, I am uncertain where the ends of the spring will connect when the repair part arrives.

Thanks,
SoccerTaxi Driver

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated; verbal description, illustation, web link or knowledge via osmosis -- all greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Give us the model and spec numbers of you engine. It would help us help you.

soccertaxi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Give us the model and spec numbers of you engine. It would help us help you.

The model of the Engine is Tecumseh TVXL840. The best info I can provide on the mower is that it is a Snapper, 21" self-propelled Hi-vac. It is a hand me down, so I don't have the Snapper model number, but I believe it is RP21500T2.

The part number (from Techuseh) that I am in search of assembly/installation information on is Tecumseh 490307, Throttle Link Spring. It looks like on one end it hooks onto the Governor Follower Arm, but I am not sure where the other end hooks.

NOTE: I have the parts "exploded view" illustration (courtesy of partstree dot com), and I am positive it is Tecumseh 490307 if that is of help.

Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One end of the spring goes on the governor arm and the other end goes to the top of the throttle. Same parts as the governor link. The spring is used to remove play between the governor and the throttle, for quick response when increasing speed.

soccertaxi

Forum Newbie
Threads
One end of the spring goes on the governor arm and the other end goes to the top of the throttle. Same parts as the governor link. The spring is used to remove play between the governor and the throttle, for quick response when increasing speed.

Thank you! :smile: