Carb float not sitting right

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
OP hasn’t been around for since Oct. 14 and I doubt he’ll be back. 2+2 doesn’t equal 4 in this post and I think someone switched carbs on him and he doesn’t want to admit it. Unless he comes back with more info, trying to help him is a waste of time.
i've run into it on a few quantum engines, where the owner had already bought an amazon special, and it has a viton needle it and brass seat.
his best bet is probably to get a new carb, Briggs or cheapo.

TobyU

Threads
Someone has switched carbs on that or you got the wrong parts from the engine numbers.
The vast majority of vertical crankshaft Briggs & Stratton push mower engines and especially all the Flathead or L heads as they call them have the carb everyone was thinking this is where it has the little orange rubber seat up inside the hole with a metal tipped needle valve.
This is the type of carburetor that goes on some of the higher horsepower overhead valve Briggs engines and most riders that has a brass seat up inside of the carburetor and a rubber tipped or viton probably needle valve.

What happened was you put the orange rubber seat up inside when it didn't need it and that's what gave the extra length and pushed the float down.
You need to take the rubber seat out and if you do it with compress air you can save it for future use. Then you should polish that seat up because it looks quite nasty.
Some people use toothpaste q-tip etc and some just clean it with a q-tip and carb cleaner.
You can also use a metal polish like flitz etc or brasso and on the bad ones that leak if I don't have a replacement I typically use fine valve lapping compound come with both course and fine.
Then I use just a clean q-tip to polish it a little more later. I often use a cordless drill to do this polishing and they come out like shiny brand new brass. Then you have to make sure you use car cleaner and compressed air and blow all the polishing agent out of there and get it absolutely clean before you put your float and the new rubber tip needle back in.

TobyU

Threads
OP hasn’t been around for since Oct. 14 and I doubt he’ll be back. 2+2 doesn’t equal 4 in this post and I think someone switched carbs on him and he doesn’t want to admit it. Unless he comes back with more info, trying to help him is a waste of time.
October 14th of this year? That's nothing.
It is funny how people don't come back though. I guess they get what they need and don't care about anything else.
Or sometimes I think we offend some people when we point out their mistakes etc and they're just embarrassed or feel like it's confrontational etc but oh well this is how we learn.
I did submit a reply which you'll probably see but you're absolutely correct as that's not a very common carburetor on the brakes push more engines anyways but certainly the parts he has and tried to use do not go with that carburetor.