Usedtorent
Active Member
My winch on my 4-wheeler is broke. It will not go back in once it's out. I have to hand crank it back in. It's a real pain in the rear. It works when it goes out, you just grab it and pull. What can be wrong?
:thumbdown:My guess is that you have a problem with 1 of the 4 solinoids (most have 4). If you are very lucky it is just a bad connection that you could fix easily. Worse case scenario you have to find which one has gone bad and replace it.
Lets cover this, point 1, the poster never said what kind of winch it was, so how do you determine wether it has 4 solinoids, 2, where have you seen 2 motors on an atv winch, 3, so you say they add the extra solenoid in case 1 fails, if it has 2 motors it will require 2 solenoids for each motor, you should have read your response before submitting reply, finally, what does foklifts have to do with this? All of the lifts I serviced where DC, "IF YOU NO WHAT THAT MEANS" battery operated, which in travel mode the motor would need to see reverse polarity in order to reverse, 30 years SON, send me a pm I'll send my CERTIFICATES, however! I highly doubt your computers big enough to accept a file that LARGE.I do know what I am talking about. High power winches have two solenoids in each motor that way if one sticks there is another. You can do a search yourself and see that these do exist. Maybe you should do your research before telling someone to do theirs. Google 4 solenoid winch diagrams and you will see lots and lots of pictures. You may have never seen one but it does not mean they do not exist. Please do be more polite in your posts. This seems like a nice community and I do not want to argue with you. I also do not want to be put down. We are not talking about fork lifts anyway. This post is about a 4 wheel winch.
It would be funny to see a 4 solenoid winch on a 4 wheeler but I bet you someplace some where someone has done this. I never judge though, if someone wants to put money and time in to something like that it is up to them.
You know it, the problem is probaly quite simple, just more info, & we are under way. I should post engine has died on my RED TRACTOR, yeh rite, how far do you think that would get.
In regard to the 4 solinoid thing, Wise men speak, cause they somthing to say, fool's speak, cause they have to say somthing. TKS your vote of confidence.:smile.
Michael
Henry is right. Most newer permanent magnet stator motor ATV winches use 2 solenoids and most newer series wound stator ATV motor winches use 4 solenoids. The solenoids can be either integrated or remote mounted. Permanent magnet winches tend to be cheaper, series wound winches tend to be stronger.
A Warn RT25 ATV winch uses something they call a contactor that contains 2 SPDT solenoids that provide the function of 4 SPST solenoids. Older Warn winches used a mechanical switch. I have an ancient one that I used to load my boat on a trailer.
You're right though, the OP's question can't be answered without knowing the winch model.