Can I use this fuel?

jamma6700

Forum Newbie
An animal of some sort chewed up the spout on my gas can. Now there is plastic debris in my gas/oil mix. Can this be filtered and used? I dont want to risk ruining my $300 backpack blower.
Thanks!
 
An animal of some sort chewed up the spout on my gas can. Now there is plastic debris in my gas/oil mix. Can this be filtered and used? I dont want to risk ruining my $300 backpack blower.
Thanks!

If your running the gas in a back pack blower or some type of hand held equipment you should be alright. The fuel filters in the gas tanks of the equipment should keep the debris out of your engines and or carbs, that's there design and why there in gas lines I'd replace your spout on the gas can with a spout with a filter screen though and after you use the mix make sure to clean your gas can out good before you use it again.
 
Don't throw away that old coffee maker, save the strainer and pot and use a coffee filter to strain your fuel through it into the old coffee pot by pouring the fuel through. Throw away the housing and heating element part as you wont need or want to use them unless you are a pyromaniac. :shocked:
 
Do what he post above with a coffee filter but add oil cause running the gas oil mix through a coffee filter is more then likely gonna take away some of your oil :thumbsup:
 
Actually, it's probably not a good idea to use the coffee pot idea if there is any plastic in it. The gas could start to dissolve the plastic.
 
Actually, it's probably not a good idea to use the coffee pot idea if there is any plastic in it. The gas could start to dissolve the plastic.

What is your gas can made of? Polypropylene? I realize there are different types of plastics and styrene may have some issues but I have used Mr Coffee plastic and not had any deteriation issues.
 
What is your gas can made of? Polypropylene? I realize there are different types of plastics and styrene may have some issues but I have used Mr Coffee plastic and not had any deteriation issues.

There's gas safe plastic, and then there's not so safe plastic. I think you've proved that Mr Coffee plastic is okay, but how many plastics are?

And I doubt if a filter can filter out oil from the gas. If that where to happen, it would accumulate in the filter enough to see.
 
If your running the gas in a back pack blower or some type of hand held equipment you should be alright. The fuel filters in the gas tanks of the equipment should keep the debris out of your engines and or carbs, that's there design and why there in gas lines I'd replace your spout on the gas can with a spout with a filter screen though and after you use the mix make sure to clean your gas can out good before you use it again.

Another reason I put in line filters on all my mowers they cost about 1 dollar with clamps and 5 mins of time
 
Back
Top