Can I change an 11" tire?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Then maybe I got a different version as even using oil I can only get halfway around before I can no longer pull the mounting tool. I have to resort to flat blade screwdrivers. Now brand new are a little easier to mount but even on most I have to use the screwdrivers.

I know use enough pull as I have bent the center post of the changer.
I lube up the beads with a tire soap that reminds me of vaseline. Reduces the effort to mount probably by half
The hard part is making sure after i start the bead to keep it toward the middle of the rim to have enough give to be able to use the tool to pop the bead over.

pilotbuddy

Threads
Just be aware some run flat tires are foam filled and are hard. They make your tractor or Z ride like a tank.

rdedrick

Threads
I've seen people using locking pliers to keep the tires flat. As in the beads pinched together. It seems to work really well. I technique for motorcycle tires is to flatten them and use strong zip ties all around the tire to keep the beads together. Then its easier to keep the bead in the center of the rim to give you more room to get the tire over the other side of the rim. Afterwards cut the zipties off. I have this tool for mounting motorcycle tires. there is a minibike option but I haven't gotten that. It wouldn'twork for bolt on wheels but would for the ones with the bearing and hubs in the wheel. The key to changing tires is the proper tools and experience. If you don't want to get both of those hire it done.

Gord Baker

Threads
I have a big 6" vise in which I put a 3/4" long pin standing vertically. After beads are broken I slip the wheel over the pin and use Vise~Grips to keep the bead from following the tool. This has worked for small tires I have encountered. Use liquid soap for bead lube.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads

4getgto

Threads
Okay thanks folks, you definitely talked me out of it. I am going to try a " no flat" tire and wheel combo. It's $40 from eBay.
I think you'll happier with that combo.
Just beware that some of bearings they use aren't worth much.
I had some cheapy ones similar from NH and bearings failed in one summer.

gamma_ray

Threads
The front tire on my zero turn mower is toast - side wall is ripped. It is 11" x 4.00 - 5". I have changed dozens of bike tires, but never on a lawn tractor. My friendly local garage will change it for about $20, but adding in the cost of tire and tube, I might as well buy a whole new wheel assembly. Is it as easy as a bike tire?
I have the exact same size on my ZTR. Years ago I went with inner tubes in them, but earlier this year bought new rubber for tubeless again.
It's more difficult than a bicycle tire, because the beads need seating onto the rim and that takes an air tank-compressor that can deliver some volume.

After the new tire is on the rim, remove the valve stem, and use a rope or tie down strap around the tire circumference to compress the tire, getting the bead against the rim. Use the compressor to inflate the tire, and the beads will seat.

It takes some doing though, and maybe a helper too. Once seated, screw the stem back in, and inflate to pressure.

I've also changed out the rear tires the same way.

I think I ordered both front and rear rubber off Walmart online. They are sold in pairs.

Good luck!

NorthBama

Threads
Just changed out 2 on my Z it was easy for a 72 year old man but I got it done :)