Brute 22 inch B&S 6.75 Ready Start Engine Sputtering after complete carb cleaning

BATES

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brute 22 inch B&S 6.75 Ready Start Engine Sputtering after complete carb cleaning
I loaned my push mower out for the season last year, had to get it back this season, it was not winterized, nor properly stored, so it wouldn't start much less run. I cleaned it up, changed oil, drained gas and refilled (adding STA-BIL), installed new spark plug, air filter, air filter gasket & took the carburetor completely off and cleaned it well (including bowl & nut) with carb cleaner, (float & pin look brand new). Reassembled it, and now it will start but sputters and stalls if you try to mow. What else do I need to check?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Brute 22 inch B&S 6.75 Ready Start Engine Sputtering after complete carb cleaning
Re: Brute 22 inch B&S 6.75 Ready Start Engine Sputtering after complete carb cleaning

QUOTE from motoman "Lots of this in the forum.The enrichment circuit in the carb is not working properly. The fuel mix must approach 14:1 for the engine to run properly. When the throttle butterfly is opened a lean-out condition is created which will not support power demand or even running at no load. The carburetor has a puddle of gas (float bowl) which can pass heavily or lightly into the intake stream depending upon demand (governor sensing load). But if the tiny passage holes are dirty or plugged not enough gas can be admitted so hand choking forces more gas into the stream. But this is over rich and will not develop power when the engine is hot, only foul the plugs and wash oil off the cyl walls, causing you more problems. Use the search function to learn how to clean out the little holes in the carb. IMO"

So in short clean the tiny holes in the carb with small wire.

BATES

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Brute 22 inch B&S 6.75 Ready Start Engine Sputtering after complete carb cleaning

Thanks Chuck, I will try this. I did know to do this but didn't have a wire small enough to fit in the holes and when I used the red straw attachment to spray carb cleaner in them the stream did pass through to the other side so I thought they should be clean, but will try it anyway.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Did you get the choke reconnected correctly. Is the choke opening when you start the mower. Sounds like the choke may not be opening causing a rich run situation.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads

Thanks Chuck, I will try this. I did know to do this but didn't have a wire small enough to fit in the holes and when I used the red straw attachment to spray carb cleaner in them the stream did pass through to the other side so I thought they should be clean, but will try it anyway.

I normally find a wire in my garage like speaker wire then strip the plastic outer coating off and use 1 or 2 strands for it.
A lot of times we blow the wrong way and force the tiny piece in further. that is why the wire.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a bread tie.

BATES

Forum Newbie
Threads

The choke is opening and if I hold the air vane arm back it will run without sputtering.

BATES

Forum Newbie
Threads

I disassembled the carburetor again and used the wires & carb cleaner as suggested, reassembled and YAY it runs smoothly now! I also found that the air filter hose wasn't connected very well the last time I replaced the air filter for the umpth time, so that likely had a lot to do with it also! It can get very frustrating being a woman in times such as these, so thanks all for your help!