Broadmoor jerky reverse

C22094

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Broadmoor 25/52 with suspension. When backing slowly down an incline it is very jerky as if I am applying the brake every foot or so (does not do this on level ground). The dealer contacted Simplicity and was told this is due to the shock absorber suspension (which makes no sense to me).
Has anyone seen this?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post 7 digit Simplicity Model Number please. I own a 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor with Model # 2690814. Model # should be located on right frame rail below dipstick tube. No I have not run in to this before in reverse or forward. Make sure Dealer greased your Broadmoor, checked tire pressures, engine oil level, leveled deck ,etc.

Last edited:

C22094

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post 7 digit Simplicity Model Number please. I own a 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor with Model # 2690814. Model # should be located on right frame rail below dipstick tube. No I have not run in to this before in reverse or forward. Make sure Dealer greased your Broadmoor, checked tire pressures, engine oil level, leveled deck ,etc.
Thanks for your response - Model 2691674. I have checked these items and the dealer is not really offering much assistance. Is there a source for an actual service manual (not the "user manual")?

C22094

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your response - Model 2691674. I have checked these items and the dealer is not really offering much assistance. Is there a source for an actual service manual (not the "user manual")?
I also tried to personally talk directly to someone at Simplicity as I am not comfortable that the dealer accurately described the problem but their "customer service" was of little use. Not happy after spending over $7k.

Chuter

Threads
Just a few thoughts, have someone watch you (or video you) backing down an incline, and see what is happening. If it's the shocks, I would expect the observer/video to see them move. Another area to look at is the mower deck (you don't mention if you are mowing or not when it happens). I've noticed my rollers tend to dig in a little in reverse in very soft ground or if there is a protrusion (grass here, not there) that the end of the roller can hook on, especially if I'm turning. I mow my grass near the top of the cutting range, and the rollers are sticking almost straight up and down. After that I'd look for something loose in the suspension, check both ends of the control arms and top and bottom of the shocks. It seems to be a relatively simple suspension system, so an issue shouldn't be too hard to spot. Try adjusting the shocks and see if you can find a setting that helps or hurts the issue.

Is it one particular area of your yard this happens? Have you been able to demonstrate it to the dealer, or just told him about it? Is the deck up or down? Are there bumps or is it smooth? Are you coasting, or using the reverse pedal? How steep is the incline? On my Conquest, rapidly taking your foot off one of the go pedals (either forward or reverse) has a tendency to act like putting on the brakes. This is common with many hydrostatic transmissions, such as in forklifts. If you are on a steep incline, gravity could be accelerating you to a speed faster than the hydro thinks it should be for that pedal position, and slowing you down. I know very little about what goes on inside one of these units, so I don't know if it could be adjusted in some way or if a fluid/filter change might resolve an issue of some passage getting blocked.

Check with another dealer or two in your area. Whatever the issue, you probably aren't the only one in the world it is happening to, the more people you ask, the more likely someone else is to have seen it. They may or may not have correctly diagnosed it and solved it!

endeavor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Broadmoor 25/52 with suspension. When backing slowly down an incline it is very jerky as if I am applying the brake every foot or so (does not do this on level ground). The dealer contacted Simplicity and was told this is due to the shock absorber suspension (which makes no sense to me).
Has anyone seen this?
Did you ever solve your problem?

What did you ever do or was done to fix your problem?

I have the exact same problem on my brand new $11,799 Prestige, when backing down on an incline just like you, with that jerky reverse.

I'd be so grateful to hear back from you about it. Thank you!

Edit: PS,
Yes to the techs
Chuter & mechanic mark who replied with questions..
...yes of course I've tried and checked all the things mentioned, I will elaborate more information later.

Let's first hear from the original poster first, thank you.

Last edited:

C22094

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately I found no "fix". I did confirm that if the suspension is temporarily defeated (used blocks of wood to block spring action), the problem disappeared. Apparently the way the linkage is designed allows vertical movement to affect the transmission control such that it will move from reverse to stop. Rather discouraging considering the cost of the mower.

endeavor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply.

I have some news to help you a little bit, please see the picture I posted in my new post, and what you can do with very little effort.

I've decided to open a new thread with my issue and better explain it rather than take over your thread here, and this will also help get more exposure for the both of us, to better solve the problems.

I also posted a video of our problem there too, with lots of other links as well:

See here: