Brigss & stratton "ready start system", I'm stumped

dennis morris

Threads
I GOT THE SAME THING. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. I WENT TO THE LOCAL DEALER AND TALKED TO THE THEIR SHOP FOREMAN AND HE SAID THAT HE HAD NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM, (GREAT HELP). I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING A COUPLE OF SMALL WASHERS BETWEEN THE COIL AND ENGINE MOUNT SO THAT THE COIL WOULD HAVE A HIGHER LIFT ON THE FLYWHEEL MAGNET. I HAVEN'T DONE IT YET BUT I'M AT A LOSS TOO.

Blaine B.

Threads
Sounds like too much complicated garbage on a lawn mower!

mr.farmall

Threads
I GOT THE SAME THING. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. I WENT TO THE LOCAL DEALER AND TALKED TO THE THEIR SHOP FOREMAN AND HE SAID THAT HE HAD NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM, (GREAT HELP). I WAS THINKING OF PUTTING A COUPLE OF SMALL WASHERS BETWEEN THE COIL AND ENGINE MOUNT SO THAT THE COIL WOULD HAVE A HIGHER LIFT ON THE FLYWHEEL MAGNET. I HAVEN'T DONE IT YET BUT I'M AT A LOSS TOO.

Dennis; I hope you find the answer to your troubles. I did a lot of testing with the magnetron and came to the conclusion that was given in post #8 by Pugaltitude
"You need a proper spark tester as a neon light does not load a coil as if its under compression related conditions.
forget the color. Its either sparking or not.
He was right, the size and color of the spark didn't really have much bearing on the engines starting performance. What I thought was a wimpy spark turned out to be more than sufficient to start the engine. If you read through the entire postings, you will find that my trouble was entirely the compression problem from the bent valve. LNZ pointed it out right from the start but I was stuck on the spark instead and had to prove to myself that the spark was good no matter what it looked like before I moved on to find the real problem, lack of compression.
A leak down tester is something I will now put in my inventory of tools. I can see it has great potential when needed. Good Luck on your project and let us know how it goes.
Rex

primerbulb120

Threads
I am having this same problem on a Briggs and Stratton Platinum. I haven't turned it over with a drill, but it has 10 PSI of compression. I'm going to take the cylinder head off and see what I find...

mr.farmall

Threads
I am having this same problem on a Briggs and Stratton Platinum. I haven't turned it over with a drill, but it has 10 PSI of compression. I'm going to take the cylinder head off and see what I find...

I'm sorry to hear you have this problem. If you read post 23 and post 18, you will see that my problem was entirely a compression problem. It was stated in one of the first posts and then again in a later post that the compression was much too low. After I got the new valve installed, I posted the results of the compression. You can see that they are much higher than originally and much higher that the 10 lbs you have stated on yours. I have since invested in a leak down tester and used it 3 or four times. It wasn't very expensive but has helped guide me to troubles and pinpoint the troubles section of compression problems, saving a lot of time. I think you can check one out for free a few days from O'rielies auto store.
good luck with your trouble, and keep us posted on what you find.
Our mower has worked great now for the second summer. still starts on the first pull no matter how long it has set without being used. it even started on the first pull this spring after filling the tank and checking the oil.
Rex

primerbulb120

Threads
I didn't find anything obvious, so I will get a new head gasket and do a leakdown test on the engine.