Briggs & Stratton 400000 MTD Yardman woes

Darrell2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Yard Man 42" cut, with the Brigg & Stratton 400000 intek 20HP v twin motor.

I just put fresh gas in it, and a new fuel filter. Last session of lawn cutting was flawless, no issues.

This time (a week later) randomly during mowing, it acts like it's about to run out of fuel. Loss of power, spit sputtering, then dying, I think it's out of gas. I brought it back to the garage to fill up with fuel, no biggie I've ran out before, and discover the tank is half full.

Try to crank it, battery dead. I put the battery on my charger, come back in 45 min, battery fully charged and crank it up. I proceed to mow the lawn, 5 min later it's doing the same thing. I disengage the blade, then pop the hood, I can see the fuel filter, because it's clear and it does not have the 'normal' half full amount in the filter.

It dies. I crank it and the battery is working fine, it turns over and starts then dies.

I thought the battery was the culprit to start, but it is now holding a charge. I put my volt meter on it and the battery is good and while running it is charging the battery.

Is there a fuel pump that I need to worry about? Is my fuel filter restricting it enough that it won't run?

any suggestions?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may have the Wrong fuel filter...
If your gas tank is higher than the carb, there is likely No fuel pump. (you can follow the fuel line between the carb & tank to see if there is a pump between the two).
If you have no fuel pump and you put a very restrictive filter inline, it will not gravity flow enough fuel...
:smile:KennyV