Briggs & Stratton 16HP carb small hose purpose?

knebme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Snapper riding mower with 16HP Briggs & Stratton16 HP V-TWIN OHV Vanguard, Model 303777 Type 1145-A1 4750 Code 97021011. It started running poorly and would only run with the choke on.
I replaced the fuel filter and took the carb off, cleaned the fuel bowl, and tried to clean any likely dirt.
The carb has a second smaller rubber hose, about 6" long connected onto the carb with spring clip, beside the fuel hose, but the other end was not connected to anything, and is open to dirty air. Where is this small hose supposed to connect or what should be done with it? What is its purpose. Fuel is gravity feed, connected directly from tank through manual shutoff valve and fuel filter to carb, no solenoid or fuel pump.

Thx for any insight.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say that is the carb vent tube. One end hooks to the carb and the other end is open to the air. If it gets plugged the engine may run poorly and sometimes flood out.

knebme

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say that is the carb vent tube. One end hooks to the carb and the other end is open to the air. If it gets plugged the engine may run poorly and sometimes flood out.

Clean as a whistle. I was thinking it might be something like that. Loose end has a flat clip on it that would clip to some sheet metal. No hose clip on the loose end so I did not think it came off something like a little pipe connection.

Thx.