Briggs Problem

Tenneesseez

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Morning!
New Member, Have a Technical Question pleze.
Have a Murray 48" cut Riding Mower, Model Tag faded so bad can not make it out says "Wide Body" on mower think maybe 1995-1999 perhaps, its powered by a 18 1/2 HP Briggs 2 cyl. 4 stroke Industrial engine.
Was mowing last fall, ran out of gas, bought gas ,filled it up would spin over but not start, finally checked the plugs
no spark at either plug!! Found a fuse ,pulled it would not spin over, reinstalled fuse would spin over ,still no spark. Am at a loss as to why running out of gas would cause this problem. Since mower spins over fine, is there a possible Woodruff key that could have stripped when the mower died under load and would allow it to spin over but not fire?
Help anyone? Thanks Tennesseez

possum

Threads
There will be some gurus come onto this in a bit of time. In the meantime I will toss what little I know at it. I doubt you ran out of gas, the mower just quit on you. But it may have. Either way sounds like a coil problem, or a wire running to the coil problem. Check the kill wire by removal and checking for spark. If that is not it sounds like a replacement of coil is needed.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possum is right check the kill wires and switch frist.