Briggs model 60102 2 HP - What is this carb part?

Tinker Tim

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs model 60102 2 HP - What is this carb part?
Hi. I pulled the carb off of a little edger motor to clean it and found this 2" twisted strip of metal dangling from in the intake gasket. It was in the bore of the carburetor. I don't know what function it serves, and it doesn't seem to be shown on the parts diagram I have for this motor. Can someone enlighten me? It seems to fit the bore only one way, but if there is anything of note regarding reinstalling it, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• carb part 1 small.jpg
    carb part 1 small.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 9
  • carb part 2 small.jpg
    carb part 2 small.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 8
  • carb part 3 small.jpg
    carb part 3 small.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 7

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a swirl plate. I think most face up and down, Never had one out. never had a reason to.

Tinker Tim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks ILENGINE, much appreciated. Does this piece belong in the carb? I thought it might be an aftermarket gismo, as it is not shown in the diagrams. I assume it just friction-fits in the bore. Most of it slides right in, but the end with a small notch in the center is just wide enough to need a little force.

Romore

Threads
You won't find it on any ipl because it is part of the carburetor body, it is not supposed to come out.

Tinker Tim

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, thanks Romore. I will just push it back in. I assume it should be flush with the end of the carb, no deeper?

Tinker Tim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! All back together after the carb cleaning and it is running fairly well. I have ordered a new governor spring and should be in good shape after that is installed and I give it a final tuning. I appreciate everyone's help.