Export thread

Briggs ID

G

gregjo1948

Can someone tell me the hp of a 2013 Briggs 724cc engine?
thanks, gregjo1948

T

Tinkerer200

Can someone tell me the hp of a 2013 Briggs 724cc engine?
thanks, gregjo1948

There will not be one fixed answer to this. Various stickers will be stuck on them. 22 hp to 26 hp. Best to post model number which should be stamped into one of the valve covers.

Walt Conner

R

Rivets

24 hp. A simple way to convert cc to hp is. #cc devided by 15 devided by 2, will always get you close.

G

gregjo1948

There will not be one fixed answer to this. Various stickers will be stuck on them. 22 hp to 26 hp. Best to post model number which should be stamped into one of the valve covers.

Walt Conner

I found the numbers on the valve cover. model--40777
type----3137G5
code--1301129YG

T

Tinkerer200

type----3137G5
code--1301129YG

May be labeled 20 to 24 hp, same engine.

Ealt Conner

T

Tinkerer200

type----3137G5
code--1301129YG

May be labeled 20 to 24 hp, same engine. You are missing a number in model number.

Ealt Conner

G

gregjo1948

May be labeled 20 to 24 hp, same engine. You are missing a number in model number.

Ealt Conner

Model # 44Q777

T

Tinkerer200

Model # 44Q777

Back to my original post then.

Walt Conner

G

gregjo1948

Back to my original post then.

Walt Conner

Are you saying the hp of this engine can't be determined. If so, I can't believe
the competition and also the government would likely be after Briggs for not legally identifying
the hp of their engines.

R

Rivets

No engine manufacturer gives an exact hp for their engines. This came about because of a lawsuit against them, because the posted hp was not exactly what was advertised, most of the time slightly lower. Now all manufacturers use cc or ft lbs of torque.

Boobala

Boobala

I believe the difference in Briggs HP ratings, are through the use of carburetor jet size, or even a different model of carb. I do know some Briggs Twins, use a 1 Barrel Nikki model ( my 21HP does ) and some are equipped with a 2 Barrel Nikki carb, I'm sure some of the other techs on the Forum, will comment with their knowledge on this matter.... :thumbsup:

B

bertsmobile1

Are you saying the hp of this engine can't be determined. If so, I can't believe
the competition and also the government would likely be after Briggs for not legally identifying
the hp of their engines.

mower engines are CHEAP because the buying public will not pay for QUALITY and if you don't want to believe this download the parts diagrams for some of the engines no longer made.
The Briggs engine code has the capacity of the engine in the first 2 digits and in your case 44 cu inch, just the same as you buying a 351 chev, what is 351, the SIZE of the engine , not the Hp.

Getting back to making engines that are CHEAP enough for the public to BUY.
Castings are cheap to make but moulds are expensive and cranks are more expensive still so the more engines of the same size the cheaper they become.
So the trick is to get the largest variety of "sizes" from the least number of different parts.

Mower companies design a mower, work out the load the mower will put on the engine then specify / buy an engine that is 25% above their design.
Next year it "has to be better" so next year they sell the exact same mower with a different Hp on the sticker because the buying public is both ignorant & stupid.
The next season the mower company can do the same things and they have to do it because the buying public want something that is "BETTER" than last years model and prefferably cheaper as well ( Stupid ).

This has been the case since the first powered mower was made .
Because the engine is governed it is easy to increase the Hp, you fit a lighter governor spring so the engine does 200 more rpm.
The extra Hp means nothing because the engine does not run at peak revs and should run at peak torque ( totally different things )

The mower companies do things like change governor springs, put a choking gasket in the manifold or a strait smaller manifold, smaller / larger carb, different sized main jets and some times different cams.
Back in the old days they could do a few other things but emission laws have killed those.

Do you really think that a 12Hp , 12.5Hp , 13Hp , 13.5Hp, 14Hp & 14.5Hp engine all have different bores, strokes & compression ratios ?

And just so you can get a handle on things, the crankshaft is the most expensive single part of any engine, be it car, truck , motorcycle or mower.
The crank represents 1/2 the cost for a forged crank or 1/3 the cost for a cast crank so the more engines that can use the same crank, the cheaper an engine can be made to the limit of volume efficiencies .

G

gregjo1948

I know what you're saying. I just picked up a snow blower with single cylinder Briggs "1450". I was thinking it would be 14.5 hp but, turned out that number was relevant to torque not hp. thanks for your input, gregjo1948