Briggs Engine series, Alloy Vs Steel deck.

1Random1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am looking at 2 mowers which are identically priced and spec'd besides the engine (which doesn't make sense why its the same price).

But either way...

I wanted to ask how important is the "cast iron sleeve' vs the standard alluminium in an engine?

The 850 Series IC is a 190cc has the cast iron insert. This is the 'industrial commercial grade'.
The 875 Series engine 190cc has slightly more power than the 850series (like 8.75 ft/lbs vs 8.5 on the 850 series)- but it does not have the cast iron sleeve.

How important is that insert?

I tried to contact briggs themselves and for whatever reason - I was told the warranty is identical on both engines, both engines will last as long as eachother provided you keep the air cleaner clean and oil clean. The alloy insert is not as forgiving if you neglect to keep things clean while the iron is, but so long as you do keep it maintained, then for all intents and purposes they should last as long as each other.

And on the other hand, whether the engine is 8 or 9 ft/lbs of torque you won't notice the difference in real world scenario.

So what I am getting is, Whether I get the 850 IC or 875... the power difference wont be noticable, the warranty is same,cast iron sleeve or not wont matter either as they will last the same.

Anyone got a differing opinion on this?

Also I do have one other question.

Steel vs Alloy chassis deck.

I went to 1 store,and they told me that I should buy the heavy duty steel deck because it wont crack under rough conditions while alloy will. I then went to another shop and they said they never heard of such nonsense. They told me the pressed steel decks are much thinner than the alloy decks and if anythings going to crack, bend, warp, etc it is the steel deck and not the alloy deck and that is why all the top end hondas, kubotas, etc etc all run alloy decks as they are stronger, they have better tolerances thus cut better and won't rust. Then he gave me an unrealistic scenario to illustrate the point and said if you put pebbles down on the ground, 1 long strip and ran the steel deck mower running on full with blades turned on over the pebbles, then did the same thing with alloy deck, the alloy deck would have chips/scratches but the steel deck would have severe dents, could be bent out of shape and possibly cracked because it is much thinner than the alloy. Then proceeded to say in over 3 years selling mowers to contracting companies that have big landscaping businesses none of them buy the steel deck, they all buy the alloy deck and these are run 4+ hours every day which is far more than the 2 hours every 2-3 weeks I am going to do.

Anyone else want to chime in on this?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Alloy deck with the IC engine. The alloy deck won't rust, big problem as the mower ages, and much less flex. The IC engine with that cylinder sleeve will live with the modern oils we have today with the much lower barrier lubrication. Steel deck with bare aluminum bore Briggs, no thanks.

1Random1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.

I was specifically looking at the masport range of mowers.

Option 1: Contractor model (very heavy) - runs the 850 series IC 190cc.
Option 2: President 6000ALseries - alloy deck. Runs the 800exi engine (alloy bore) 175cc.
Option 3: Silver series 800AL - Alloy deck and alloy bore 875exi engine 190cc.

All 3 cost the same and all 3 seem to have identical options (80L catcher, etc etc etc) except for the engines and deck material.

So here I am wondering which 1 of the 3.

Based on warranties... the alloy bore or steel will have the same 5 year warranty. The 875 series alloy bore has the most power of the 3. The contractor has the cast iron sleeve, but its 15kg heavier and a steel deck. All cost exactly the same, so which of the 3?!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with tom3. Alloy deck, cast iron sleeve.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Contractor .
Alloy bores wear very fast with modern engines .
They are heavier because they are built to last
Just beware they are also built to be used by PROFESSIONALS who check their mowers daily and carry out regular mainteneace like lubing wheels & changing blades , oil & filters , tighten loose nuts & bolts.
Just because it is a professional mower does not mean you never need to touch it.
Also the commercial ranges tend to have a better and longer production run & parts supply.
The SP president uses a GT plastic transmission which looks the be a bit frail being I have replaced three to date .

1Random1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.

In all 3 situations they are not the self propelled versions. They are all the push range.

Alloy deck + Cast iron sleeve - that variant doesn't exist.

Its either steel chassis commercial 850 series iron bore (Contractor).
Alloy chassis, alloy bore 875 series engine.

This will also be used domestically on 600-800 square meters of uneven rough type ground. Generally gonna use it 2 hours every 2-3 weeks only rather than 5 hours a day.

Would I be safe to assume in those conditions either engines gonna last a good 5-10 years cast iron bore or not?

As said, theres many landscaping businesses using the 800AL Silver series - 875 series engine alloy bore.... they clock up in 1 year hours what would take me 10-20 years to clock up and those engines are not failing. 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, thats 25 hours a week x 52. Im using mine 2 hours every 2-3 weeks only.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My blokes go 2 ways
1) but the domestic Honda , fit an old blower housing then run it for a single season , replace the nice clean housing , sell it for near what they paid & buy another .
2) buy the commercial and run it into the ground then sell it as a "fixer"

Go with the cast iron bore .

1saxman

Threads
For your application the non-lined cylinder should be adequate. I bought a steel deck mower with Tecumseh 195cc engine in 2004 and am still using it with no problems. I also have an aluminum deck mower with 190cc Honda commercial GSV engine with iron sleeve which is also doing great from 2008. I just use them at my home and the lawn is not huge. The key to the non-sleeved engine is using good oil, no heavier than 10W-30, and in your case change it every 25 hours or yearly. Actually, maintaining the air filter is more important than changing the oil. We all use our mowers in dusty conditions, some more than others, and it is that grit that gets into the cylinder causing most of the wear. So not only do you have to clean/replace the air filter more often in dusty conditions, you have to change the oil more often too.
I like the aluminum deck, and will always take it if there is a choice. The thick cast aluminum is softer than steel and soaks up more noise and vibration while being more rigid than a stamped steel deck.