Briggs Engine problems.

Jb7054

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled my craftsman mower out of the shed this Year. Changed the plug filters and oil. It ran fine. Second time I tried to use it was blowing white smoke and stalling after a few seconds and Had gas in the oil. Changed the oil again, installed a fuel shut off and took the carburetor bowl off and cleaned everything. When I started it back up there was no smoke and it was running great except is seemed like the idle was high. After running for 5 min the idle dropped and white smoke started pouring out of the exhaust. I turned it off for a minute and restarted it and it was running with no smoke. I drove it about 10 ft and smoke started pouring out again. Basically it runs with high idle for a couple min and then starts blowing smoke. Not stalling anymore. Is it possible the idle damaged the engine?

Jb7054

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a riding mower by the way

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was say either the gas is overflowing the carb again because it the float valve is leaking and has gotten gas in the oil again, or the leaking carb has lead to a blown head gasket both would cause the same symptoms. I am kind of leaning toward head gasket at this point but the carb could of been a contributing factor.

Engine model number and mower model numbers would help us narrow down the possible issues. If this is a single cylinder OHV engine then there is good chance of blown head gasket.

Jb7054

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well that sucks. It’s a craftsman lt1000. Older manual shift model. Briggs and Stratton 28U707. I’ve been reading oil in the air filter is a sign of a blown head gasket also. I pulled the air filter off earlier to see the choke and oil splashed out of the intake. Can a bad needle valve still flood the carburetor if the mowers running? I shut off the fuel when it’s off. Any ideas what to expect a repair place to charge for a head gasket and valve job? I like the mower but maybe it’s not worth it. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would guess around a couple hundred for the head gasket repair. Throw in the possible carb work and that could be iffy depending on cost of carb repair kit.