Briggs Commercial V-twin surging

loneryder

Threads
It’s possible Costco got a bad load it happens. Or the fuel you got came from the bottom of their tank. Did your guy check the fuel? Just wondering. Glad your up and running again. I just recently switched from Stabil to Star Tron myself. Time will tell.
This Costco is one of the smaller ones. They only go thru 3-5 tankers a day. I asked the attendant. I guess it's possible but I doubt it. Same pumping went into my truck. I know that doesn't mean much. On Stabil I had the same mower crap out twice. First time it had corn starch in the bowl. Second time it was so bad it required a new carb. That mower doesn't get used much but it always has additive in it. I think I'm going to start using premium. My local dealer recommends it. He said at all the training classes they ask about what fuel to use and the manufacturers tell them that the engines are designed to run on 87 but they prefer you run at least 91.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What I've noticed in Oklahoma, Costco, Homeland and Sam's Club get their gas furmulated weirdly. Meaning they use MKE I think the pump says. My stuff ran weird on these fuels. They alter the formula to get the price down for their members. Long story short, go to 7-11 or any other "real" gas station.

Far as the OP oil goes, that 5w-40 is too thin for summer mowing. Bert caught it. Use plain old tried and true SAE30 oil.

slomo

Last edited:

Douglasdzaster

Threads
This Costco is one of the smaller ones. They only go thru 3-5 tankers a day. I asked the attendant. I guess it's possible but I doubt it. Same pumping went into my truck. I know that doesn't mean much. On Stabil I had the same mower crap out twice. First time it had corn starch in the bowl. Second time it was so bad it required a new carb. That mower doesn't get used much but it always has additive in it. I think I'm going to start using premium. My local dealer recommends it. He said at all the training classes they ask about what fuel to use and the manufacturers tell them that the engines are designed to run on 87 but they prefer you run at least 91.
Yep when I pulled out my pressure washer that had been sitting a couple of months and it wouldn’t start and I had to clean the crud out of the carburetor. I switched to none ethanol fuel and Star Tron. It’s like Stabil just stopped working or the fuel is getting worse.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i've been using star tron for several years...i also use it in the ATV at the hunting lease, that sits for a week between starts... occasionally 2 weeks. It fires up with the touch of the button now, instead of cranking for about 3 or 4 seconds now.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I switched to none ethanol fuel
Great move going to non ethanol fuel. Think the fuel is getting worse. Getting diluted with other "chemicals" to cut the price down. Probably oil field junk that's being resold and mixed in.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel is a bigger lottery than the lottery is.
So many things can make it go off which will be particular to almost anything from the time of day, humidity, dew point, etc etc etc .
Try to keep your fuel tank either full to the top or totally empty when the mower is not in use

loneryder

Threads
The problem with regular (no alcohol) gas is the only source in my area doesn't pump very much so it's sitting a long time. It's at a BP station but it's not BP gas.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
The problem with regular (no alcohol) gas is the only source in my area doesn't pump very much so it's sitting a long time. It's at a BP station but it's not BP gas.
I’m very fortunate. They stay super busy where I go and now there’s a new one open next to them also with none ethanol and both sell a lot as they are on the way to the lake which is handy. I read where a lot of people can’t get none ethanol at all.