Export thread

briggs and stratton won't restart

J

jimbo9999

hi everyone, i have a briggs and stratton 16.5 hp, if i put fuel directly into the carb it starts right up and runs good, when i shut it off and it sits for a bit it cranks but won't start but if i put more gas in the carb it starts up and runs good. any ideas. thanks Jim

R

Rivets

Have you check to see if the choke is fully closing. If it is and it still won’t start, please post back with all engine numbers. I really really hate guessing.

J

jimbo9999

Have you check to see if the choke is fully closing. If it is and it still won’t start, please post back with all engine numbers. I really really hate guessing.
I'm not totally positive about the choke, I will check after work today and get back to you. Thanks

J

jimbo9999

looks like it's closing, i ordered some new fuel filters to see if thats the problem, briggs and stratton i/c platinum, 16 hp ohv, type 136-e1, code 000418zd. thanks for your help

B

Born2Mow

Your entire fuel system may need rebuilding.... especially if you left ethanol fuel anywhere in the mower over Winter. I just fixed a 3 year old tiller with only 5 hours on the engine. The main jet was completely blocked, the fuel ON/OFF valve was blocked, and the inside of the fuel line had completely disintegrated and collapsed.

90% of the work mower shops do in the Spring is carb rebuilds.

R

Rivets

Have someone place the palm of their hand over the carb opening and try to start. If it doesn’t start you’ll have to do as Born said. If it starts and runs, I would try readjusting the chpoke..

J

jimbo9999

I did put a new carb on over the winter and it did start then, but then sat until spring when problem started , I do use an additive in gas, I will look into your suggestions if new fuel filter doesnt solve it. Thanks again.

C

catbob

I would first check and see if you are getting fuel to the carb, pull the line off and check. No fuel work back to the tank and see why, got fuel then it's your carb. Also it's good to have fresh fuel to eliminate that as a problem.

J

jimbo9999

I would first check and see if you are getting fuel to the carb, pull the line off and check. No fuel work back to the tank and see why, got fuel then it's your carb. Also it's good to have fresh fuel to eliminate that as a problem.
i am getting fuel to carb, so guess i'll see what i can do there.

J

jimbo9999

Looked at choke again after filter wasn't the problem, the new carb I put on over the winter had a plastic tab on top of choke lever where the cable connects and that was sometimes catching on bottom of air cleaner not allowing the choke to close all the time I cut the tab off and now it starting no problem, hopefully that was the problem. Thanks for everyone's help.

R

Rivets

Seen that before, glad you found the problem.

S

slomo

Looked at choke again after filter wasn't the problem, the new carb I put on over the winter had a plastic tab on top of choke lever where the cable connects and that was sometimes catching on bottom of air cleaner not allowing the choke to close all the time I cut the tab off and now it starting no problem, hopefully that was the problem. Thanks for everyone's help.

Did you check the spark plug?

slomo

J

jimbo9999

Did you check the spark plug?

slomo
Yep put a new one in