Export thread

Briggs and Stratton no start

S

slow030

I have a Craftsman push mower with a 6.75 MRS Briggs and Stratton engine. I picked it up cheap, because it was not running. I put a new carb and gaskets and it will only start with starting fluid. Once started, it runs fine. Primer bulb looks good, even tried primer from another mower, but will only start with starting fluid. Any
thing I am missing? engine # is 125k02-0253-e1

StarTech

StarTech

The question is "Is the Primer actually working?". These primer bases are bad to warp especially if over tighten.

S

slow030

Yes, after looking closer, the base was warped. Thanks

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yes, after looking closer, the base was warped. Thanks

You might check to see if the intake nipple on the back of the air filters housing (that bolts to the carb) is clean. I picked up an old mower like this that was clogged there. Gave me fits trying to figure out what was going on.

S

slow030

Got a new base, will still not prime. Shoot a little air from the air compressor thru the hole in the primer bulb and that primes it, not sure what to do next.

R

Rivets

Did you install a new gasket between the base plate and carb?

S

slow030

yes, then tried using two, still nothing

tom3

tom3

Is there a little ball bearing check valve in these, or just a flap on the diaphragm?

S

slow030

not sure

StarTech

StarTech

Take a look at the impression on the gasket. Then make up a wedge gasket using two gaskets applying extra pressure in area on non contact in the primer path area. Do this only if you are allow to use sharp tools as it requires a back bone razor blade or hobby knife. A little wood helps to the two gaskets in place until they bonded. Place the wedge partial gasket away from the air cleaner base so you get a tight seal and only tighten the screws to where the primer works around 35 in-lbs.

After I learned to do this I still got the same primer base that I brought new 9 yrs ago in the parts bin.

S

slow030

Turns out it is the new carb. Put my base on a friends mower with the same style carb, and it primes with no problem.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Turns out it is the new carb. Put my base on a friends mower with the same style carb, and it primes with no problem.
That should be an easy fix then. If it's new, it probably just has some shavings or something in there that needs to be blown out.