Briggs and Stratton Engine Swap Throttle linkage

keb333

Forum Newbie
Threads
I swapped out a 286H770165E1 Briggs engine on a Toro timecutter 4200 with 31C7071346B2 engine.
After hooking up the throttle linkage the Carb is always wide open throttle.
so the adjustment screw does nothing because it never touches the throttle.
I have the Mowers throttle cable set but it does not matter the slide will not move enough.
I am able to get the motor to start but not sure if running at full throttle will allow the governor to work correctly?
The question is should I just buy the correct size intake manifold (this may cause issues with the shroud cover and the hole that lines up for the air filter?
Can I just make a linkage cable that is a little longer or will this cause issues with how the governor works?
Can I just adjust the carb and run it like it is at full throttle?

This is all new to me I have learned a lot just getting this mower back to its original condition.
When it was given to me you had to start it by jumping the solenoid with a copper wire.
I was able to swap out the engine, get all the safety switches working, and actually start it using a key!
Just don't want to mess up after getting this far

1630554894727.png

I think the issue is the intake manifold on the old engine is longer than the one needed for the new engine.
50 690193 MANIFOLD, Intake B&S part number for 286H engine.
50 591248 MANIFOLD, Intake B&S part number for 31C707 engine.

1630554851523.png

Attachments

• 31C7071346B2_Parts spare engine.pdf
    677.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 286H770165E1_toro engine parts.pdf
    451 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the throttle stop screw and is used to set the SMALLEST amount of throttle opening.
People get the operation of the governor backwards
The governor is always trying to CLOSE the throttle and the faster the engine iis running the harder to pushes the governor arm to close the throttle on the carb.
This is balanced against the governor spring
And the tension of the governor spring is set by you using the throttle lever .
At rest the governor exerts no force on the governor arm so the throttle butterfly will open fully due to the force applied by the spring

keb333

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.
Like I said I am new to this and your explanation makes sense.
It actually helps me understand the operation of the governor.
I think I will try getting the correct intake manifold. it is like $10 on Ebay.
Hopefully, that will give me a little control of the throttle.