Briggs and Stratton block identification

Marcusk

Threads
Hello mower people

I am sending this message from Australia mostly because you guys have a much larger following for small engines over there so I figure I will have a much bett chance finding the info I need so thank you all in advance for your help ..

Ok so now my question .

I have a Briggs and Stratton 252707 11hp that is on my Australian built greenfield mower. Now I was given this mower buy a friend that owns a mower shop and traded it for one of his customers (he is not a mechanic he just sells them) . Now after getting it home I got it to run and it pumped oil into the carb. Now this I picked up as a bad thing I also noticed that when you open the petrol tap fule runs into the carp and then straight into the cylinder .. So I put 2+2 together and decided that I needed to pull of the head to see what damage had been caused by running the engine with oil mixed with fule ..

The news was bad .... Very very very very bad the cylinder has got gouges in the wall the are wayyyyy to deep to repair ..

Sooooo I have found a local mower guy that has a couple of Briggs blocks in the back of his workshop covered in 10 years of dust and he has said I can have what ever I like for 20 a peice ...

So my problem after my life story is how can you identify a Briggs block I was able to identify my engine because the model number is stamped into one of the covers . But the blocks in this guys workshop don't have the covers and the guys don't "remember" what they are from

I cold go and buy a set of calipers and an inside micromiter blah blah blah To measure the bore and bits and pieces and compare to the engine I have but to buy all these special tools and then do the rebuild it would be cheaper to buy a new engine. I really want to do the rebuild as a learning exercise but I don't want to buy hundreds of dollars of tools to measure this one job .... Your help and secrets are appreciated

Thanks

Marcus

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I cold go and buy a set of calipers and an inside micromiter blah blah blah To measure the bore and bits and pieces and compare to the engine I have but to buy all these special tools and then do the rebuild it would be cheaper to buy a new engine. I really want to do the rebuild as a learning exercise but I don't want to buy hundreds of dollars of tools to measure this one job .... Your help and secrets are appreciated

Thanks

Marcus[/QUOTE]

I would say take the old block with you and make a match. As far tools to measure bore etc. this is a job for a machine shop that rebuilds engines. Just how far do you want to rebuild a engine. If you want it like new you will need a machine shop to re-bore the cylinder and regrind the crankshaft, and clean the block. You will then need to buy all your parts and reassemble. Cheaper to buy a new engine.

Marcusk

Threads
I was going to re use the valves and springs , crank , rod , piston if it's no damaged , that's why I needed to I'd the block . It doesn't need to be brand new just run if I get a season or 2 out of it I will be happy .

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess the thing to do if you have no numbers just mach up the two engines, You said that your engine has a bad piston so when you get a engine make sure it has a good piston in it or are these just bare blocks with no parts in them?? If it were me I would at lease scoff the cylinder walls and install new rings. Also make sure your valve guides aren't too loose. Also if you aren't using your old crankshaft over make sure you take some measurement there also. Keep looking maybe you can find a good used engine. Here in the US where I live we have mower salvage yards to buy these parts used.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If your cylinder wall is as bad as you say it is it must have a bad piston.

Marcusk

Threads
I argree I finally got the fly wheel of thismorning and cracked the case so in a day or 2 I will get around to pulling the piston out and having a look .. It is only bare blocks that I have access to .. I have not found a small engin wrecker here but I will check it out. out of intrest what do yguys pay for a second hanbrigs aroun 10 or 11 hp ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The salvage yards in this country charge haft the price of new but a a rule they will dicker on prices if you think it is too high sometimes. This all depends on how bad you need it and how rare the the part is. Just how bad is your old block because I have had them bored up to a .100's. I would take it to a machine shop and see what they can do for you and how large of oversize of piston you can buy?? Then if they can fix it have a valve job done and your engine should be like new. This is better then used parts because you know what you have now which you don't with used. Also if the used blocks you are looking at and you can find a match that would also work. Check the top of the cylinder wall for a ridge and check the valve guides also for any spun crankshaft bearings where the crank bearings ride. Hope you the best of luck Nick USA

Marcusk

Threads
Cool thanks

I will update once I get the piston out .. Once I have that out I will clean up the block and try get it matched if not I will get the black looked at ..