Briggs 21 HP Intek (single cyliner) Model #331977-0001 G1 Smoking.

UnstableIan

Forum Newbie
I installed this engine new this spring, it has maybe 50 hours on it. About a week ago, it started smoking heavily when the mower was tilted with the carb side down. It stopped smoking eventually, but still does it on shut down and Now it is blowing oil out of the vent for the crank/oil case. It still runs strong and never fails to start.
Any ideas to what this could be?
 
Check the oil and make sure that it doesn't smell/feel like there is gas in it.

If not, your head gasket is probably failing, it is not a hard job to switch out.
 
Check the oil and make sure that it doesn't smell/feel like there is gas in it.

If not, your head gasket is probably failing, it is not a hard job to switch out.

Oil is fine, no gas or anything unusual. Hopefully I'll get a chance to change that gasket soon. I appreciate the advise.
 
I installed this engine new this spring, it has maybe 50 hours on it. About a week ago, it started smoking heavily when the mower was tilted with the carb side down. It stopped smoking eventually, but still does it on shut down and Now it is blowing oil out of the vent for the crank/oil case. It still runs strong and never fails to start.
Any ideas to what this could be?

check the crank case vent it could be worn out
 
Back
Top