Briggs 16hp motor question. Just replaced head gasket and now it wont turn over

pontiac69

Threads
  • / Briggs 16hp motor question. Just replaced head gasket and now it wont turn over
Well i simply replaced the head gasket on my 16 hp briggs and stratton engine. My battery is dead so hooked it up to jumper cables to my car, and to a power booster. The engine turns 1/2 rotation tiil it hits, i am assuming the compression stroke and it move real slow till it gets past it. Then turns over till it hits that compression stroke. Could it still be the battery? I pulled the plug out and turned it over so there is no compression and motor turns over quick and smooth. But as soon as it hits compression it stops cranking.

When i pulled the push rods out i just manually compressed the spring and slid the rocker off the pushrod and pulled it out. So no adjustment was needed. Motor ran before the head gasket went and was pumping compression into the oil.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs 16hp motor question. Just replaced head gasket and now it wont turn over
You still need to at least check the valve clearances after head gasket replacement. Little changes in torque and gasket thickness can create large changes in valve clearances. I suspect the clearances are off, and need to be properly adjusted. Dead battery issues can also cause turn over problems. Sometimes you just can't get enough amps and voltage to crank one properly. Ever try to jump start a newer vehicle with a totally dead, not just discharged battery, it is almost impossible if not impossible.

pontiac69

Threads
Could anyone clarify what the gaps are to adjust the valves. I watched a you tube video and it said on the exhaust side the tolerance is .006-.008 and the intake .003-.005. This is set with the piston 1/4" below top dead center. Or should both be adjusted with the piston at top dead center. Please clarify.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you need to post the model numbers for your engine, as Briggs makes different models of the 16 HP engine. We can then give you the clearance specs. Second you set them at 1/4" past TDC on the compression stroke. After setting rotate the engine through two complete cycles and recheck. Most people fail to do this and end up with improperly set valves. Repeat as many times as needed, until you get the correct reading twice in a row.

pontiac69

Threads
Hopefully the pics show what you need. Would like to get this adjusted today so hope to hear back from you.

Attachments

• PA150596.jpg
    PA150596.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 6

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gaps for that engine are .003-.005 in and .005-.007 ex

pontiac69

Threads
Gaps for that engine are .003-.005 in and .005-.007 ex

Both being done at 1/4" off top dead center on the compression stroke?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Past TDC, not before it.