Export thread

Bought a new gas can

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I just bought a new gas can because the 20 year old one I have started to leak around the cap. It's the 2.5 gallon No-Spill can I just bought. I like it! The button that starts/stops the flow of gas seems to work well, the only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't vent automatically so before you pour the gas you have to hold in the button to release the pressure.

27123.jpg

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Exactly correct with releasing the pressure before you pour, but those cans work. I have (2) of the 2.5 gallon and (1) 5 gallon can and these are the only cans I can honestly say I like since Blitz went out of business and the No-Spill cans really work as advertised.
Neighbor bought (2) new B&S cans (1) Diesel and (1) Gas and I told him if the spouts for the Blitz cans would work on those cans for him to get rid of those junk nozzles and replace them with the Blitz nozzles, he was pouring diesel into his tractor this week and the B&S nozzle leaked diesel all over the top of his tractor, so he removes the nozzle and direct poured into his tank.

jekjr

jekjr

I just bought a new gas can because the 20 year old one I have started to leak around the cap. It's the 2.5 gallon No-Spill can I just bought. I like it! The button that starts/stops the flow of gas seems to work well, the only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't vent automatically so before you pour the gas you have to hold in the button to release the pressure.

I have two of these cans. One is a 2.5 and one is 1.25 I have had great success with them.

Z

Zeroturner

Rather than having to be an engineer to operate the plastic gas can, I'd like to buy the old style metal type - even if they do cost more.

However, I no longer see them for sale...

R

redmondjp

Rather than having to be an engineer to operate the plastic gas can, I'd like to buy the old style metal type - even if they do cost more.

Yard/estate sales, second-hand stores, Craigslist, and Ebay. I've been stocking up on the old metal ones and think I'm set up until I croak . . .

What bothers me the most about the new cans is the lack of a vent - I had one which got some morning sun and it swelled up like a bee sting allergy!

gfp55

gfp55

I think thats the idea so they don't release hydrocarbons, and they are C.A.R.B. compliant. I have four 5 gallon, one 2 1/2 gallon containers.

DJlawnboy

Rather than having to be an engineer to operate the plastic gas can, I'd like to buy the old style metal type - even if they do cost more. However, I no longer see them for sale...
Sorry lol you need to be a engineer to push a button?

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I have the swelling problem also with my Scepter gas can. Sometimes it swells up real bad or it sucks itself in so bad that it cracks.

Carscw

Carscw

I got a couple of them last year. They are now out back covered with weeds.

I went back to my old cans with coke bottles over the spout and a sponge.

The second time that I pushed the button and gas sprayed out a threw them out back.

exotion

exotion

Ya I hate those things. I like my little yellow spout with cap and a vent on the rear with cap. I use a 2 gallon one and a one gallon of that type. And a 2 gallon with the blitz spout.

For the auto vent just take a 1/32 drill bit and drill a tiny hole it vents enough and isn't big enough to leak

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I would have kept my old gas can but it started to leak around the cap when you would pour it. So I HAD to buy a new one. I am happy with it, and can live with the few cons it has. I think it is one of the better ones that they make today. I looked at the gas cans at Home Depot and Lowes and they were worse. And they had 2-star reviews.

B

Blaine B.

You can add a vent using a wheel/tire valve stem with the core removed. Saw a video on YouTube describing how to do it.

To close the vent you simply tighten the dust cover cap. To open the vent, just slightly loosen the dust cover cap.

I'm still using old style plastic gas cans. They leak sometimes. Oh well.

P

plumtree

like all new gas cans, spout seems a little problematic to me. But I guess it's one of the better ones.

I'm still using my Blitz cans. No complaints. Winter I make sure they are empty, & I just put the caps on, but not locked & put a baggie over the end with gum band,

This way the can won't crumple up on colder nights.

Nothing about that can lists that it is safe for gasoline. Other than this:

It is NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies. Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels.

D

Dadillac

It is NOT a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB or other state or federal agencies. Intended for racing fuel only; not to be used for street legal fuels.

That's because they have to write that. To be legal a gas can needs to be red, have gasoline written or molded on it, and have the stupid no spill type spout. Due to the fact that this gas can doesn't meet those requirements they need to state that it is not for gasoline. That does not mean that it isn't good for gas.

Don

Boobala

Boobala

Do YOU ....... really give a schitt ?? Beats the hell outa tryin to dick-around with those B/S no-spill PITA's !!

Can of red spray paint and some fake stickers ...... use UR imagination ( goody-goody 2 shoes )

B

bertsmobile1

FWIW I need to keep way too many fuel mixes in the workshop and all of them are in old oil bottles.
Why ?
Because they fit nice between the sliding loading door & the step in the back of the van so 5 x 5 L bottles in different colours sit on the steps.
In the workshop there are 10 x 10 litre oil bottles full of fuel which I rotate to keep the fuel fresh.
At the moment only 1 has fuel in it cause business is a bit slow with the drought.
And yes in the workshop, they and the bulk spray cans are all in the fire safe.

Boobala

Boobala

You can add a vent using a wheel/tire valve stem with the core removed. Saw a video on YouTube describing how to do it.

To close the vent you simply tighten the dust cover cap. To open the vent, just slightly loosen the dust cover cap.

I'm still using old style plastic gas cans. They leak sometimes. Oh well.

Here's THAT video......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI&t=15s

Do YOU ....... really give a schitt ?? Beats the hell outa tryin to dick-around with those B/S no-spill PITA's !!

Can of red spray paint and some fake stickers ...... use UR imagination ( goody-goody 2 shoes )

No, but I do enjoy yanking yer chain.........LOL :laughing:

R

Roymg

You can get a EZ Pour kit that may fit your can and also comes with a vent kit to install.

Boobala

Boobala

Check out this other post ...... you can buy new spouts and vent kits .

Re: A Man's Quest For The perfect Gas Can

Besides the Spout being a problem item, the ventless new style gas cans are a PITA .... but here are some Vids on overcoming the vent issue, the needed parts are in the comments section, needless to say, BEFORE doing these conversions, ... the gas can should be EMPTY .. and CLEAN !! NO FUMES !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldWUDHfbE9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbkshiK5wg

H

HDCowboy42

I replaced all my plastic cans with metal ones from Eagle and Justrite years ago and aint ever looked back since!!! I couldn't be happier not having to deal with those PIA safety spouts. You can still find them at Home Depot or Loews or better yet by by catching a sale on Amazon!! They may be more expensive but they're damn well worth it IMHO!!

Boobala

Boobala

Something new ..... a bit on the expensive side, but what the hell, it's only money...

d41a964c12cc13cf744025569b3dfa23.jpg ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, https://www.thegrommet.com/surecan-...m&utm_content=surecan&pp=0&epik=0szPZE_IW34R-

cpurvis

cpurvis

Something new ..... a bit on the expensive side, but what the hell, it's only money...

View attachment 41422 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, https://www.thegrommet.com/surecan-...m&utm_content=surecan&pp=0&epik=0szPZE_IW34R-
I want one.

Boobala

Boobala

I want one.

Search online... saw it for $28.00+ a short while ago...

S

SidecarFlip

27123.jpg

My old Blitz cans finally dis and so I bought one of those EPA approved spill the gas all over garbage cans (which I hated). Then my wife bought me a small one like you have for my chainsaw gas. Since then, I have acquired 4. A big one for the mower gas, the small one for the chainsaw and weed wacker and 2 for diesel. Great gas cans. A bit pricey but they work and I like the auto shutoff feature too.

I break the tab off the cap before I use them. That tab is the only PITA in the whole system.