Blown Engine

Acharn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 42" LT model Cub Cadet with a Kohler 19.5 HP engine. I bought the tractor new in 2016. While trying to pull a load of firewood up a hill in the snow Saturday I heard the engine throttle way up (out of control) and before I could try to throttle it down a loud metallic bang--the sound of the engine blowing. I use the tractor as much for yard work (grading with a spike harrow, pulling wagon, moving material) as for mowing, and my yard is still rough as I try to tame it. Does it make sense to have the engine replaced (I'm not the guy to do it myself) or to buy a new tractor?

evh

Threads
Based on how you describe your activity, I would get a different tractor that was more “Garden - GT” tractor vs “Lawn – LT” tractor. I think you need something with a stronger transmission and a larger engine for the type of hauling, grading, pulling you do. The Cub LT’s are not really equipped for that type of activity. They are really made for the weekend suburban lawn warrior. I’m surprised your transmission lasted this long. Note I personally own a 2018 LT 46.

I recently bought a 2021 42” LT Cub Cadet with the Kohler 5400 22hp engine that was blown (note, the 5400 series is the “new” Kohler Courage). I looked into doing a swap like you describe. I choose not to and decided to part it out. I was looking to flip the tractor and make $$$. With what I would have had to pay for a replacement engine (Used Kohler or other), I would have almost been at a break even for what a tractor like that was selling working used (maybe $100 - $300 profit). I could part it out and clear between $1,000 $1,500 in profit.

Acharn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Based on how you describe your activity, I would get a different tractor that was more “Garden - GT” tractor vs “Lawn – LT” tractor. I think you need something with a stronger transmission and a larger engine for the type of hauling, grading, pulling you do. The Cub LT’s are not really equipped for that type of activity. They are really made for the weekend suburban lawn warrior. I’m surprised your transmission lasted this long. Note I personally own a 2018 LT 46.

I recently bought a 2021 42” LT Cub Cadet with the Kohler 5400 22hp engine that was blown (note, the 5400 series is the “new” Kohler Courage). I looked into doing a swap like you describe. I choose not to and decided to part it out. I was looking to flip the tractor and make $$$. With what I would have had to pay for a replacement engine (Used Kohler or other), I would have almost been at a break even for what a tractor like that was selling working used (maybe $100 - $300 profit). I could part it out and clear between $1,000 $1,500 in profit.
Thanks!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads

If you can part out a used Cub Cadet riding mower and profit up to $1500, I would like to see that. How many months or years would that take?
At any rate, very unlikely it would be worth repowering your Cub Cadet mower with another engine unless you can get a known good used engine, and install it yourself. Otherwise, it would cost less to buy another used riding mower working 100% right and buy that to replace yours. Sounds like the governor blew up and then broke the connecting rod.

Acharn

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you can part out a used Cub Cadet riding mower and profit up to $1500, I would like to see that. How many months or years would that take?
At any rate, very unlikely it would be worth repowering your Cub Cadet mower with another engine unless you can get a known good used engine, and install it yourself. Otherwise, it would cost less to buy another used riding mower working 100% right and buy that to replace yours. Sounds like the governor blew up and then broke the connecting rod.
Thanks.

evh

Threads
I does take much longer than a quick flip. I am probably looking at 2 – 3 years based on past experiences. It is more labor intensive (take it apart, clean the part, list the part for sale, ship the part or sell big items locally). Note I have been doing this type of work for 10+ years. The nuances to this specific situation are as follows:

- The seat on my current tractor is trashed. This machine had a perfect seat so I now have a perfect seat. Note, new seats are ~$260.00, it is tough to find good condition replacements at a good price.
- I have $250 into the purchase and have netted $300 is sales far.
- So as of this writing I have a new seat on my personal tractor and am up $50.
- I have $1,075 worth of items on sale on eBay from this tractor and I have $300 worth of items listed locally (too large to ship).
- I have not listed all of the parts as of yet. Probably have $250 worth of parts left to list.
- I now have a number of replacement parts I have kept for my current tractor that will likely save me some $$$ down the road (belts, pulleys, etc.).

Note to anyone reading this, I live in southwest Michigan and have most all parts (2021 LT 42:) available (less hood and seat).

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I does take much longer than a quick flip. I am probably looking at 2 – 3 years based on past experiences. It is more labor intensive (take it apart, clean the part, list the part for sale, ship the part or sell big items locally). Note I have been doing this type of work for 10+ years. The nuances to this specific situation are as follows:

- The seat on my current tractor is trashed. This machine had a perfect seat so I now have a perfect seat. Note, new seats are ~$260.00, it is tough to find good condition replacements at a good price.
- I have $250 into the purchase and have netted $300 is sales far.
- So as of this writing I have a new seat on my personal tractor and am up $50.
- I have $1,075 worth of items on sale on eBay from this tractor and I have $300 worth of items listed locally (too large to ship).
- I have not listed all of the parts as of yet. Probably have $250 worth of parts left to list.
- I now have a number of replacement parts I have kept for my current tractor that will likely save me some $$$ down the road (belts, pulleys, etc.).

Note to anyone reading this, I live in southwest Michigan and have most all parts (2021 LT 42:) available (less hood and seat).

There are few people willing to go through this time consuming process. Listing, boxing up, trips to shipper, answering questions, etc., removing and cleaning parts. I appreciate you responding so people reading this can understand how much work is involved. Not to mention having to look at old mowers lying around on your property year after year waiting to be turned into a sale.