Engine Blown engine

metzy72

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Simplicity Conquest with a blown (cracked case) 23hp B&S Vanguard. I have access to a 18.5hp B&S or a 15.5hp B&S Vanguard. Will either of these engines run this mower? I hate to pay for a new engine but I want to get this fixed. It has a 50" deck.

Brian902

Threads
I have a Simplicity Conquest with a blown (cracked case) 23hp B&S Vanguard. I have access to a 18.5hp B&S or a 15.5hp B&S Vanguard. Will either of these engines run this mower? I hate to pay for a new engine but I want to get this fixed. It has a 50" deck.

Ok

23 - 18.5 = 4.5
23 - 15.5 = 7.5

You are giving up 4.5 to 7.5 hp on a 50" cut.

Yes it will still work, but on heavy or long grass you will quickly wear these engines out.

You would have to cut more often and slower to keep this upgrade working.

How long will it last or how good?

Crystal Ball is broken.

Good Luck

gainestruk

Threads
Go with 18.5, with a 50" deck you will need that extra power, what shape is the Conquest in and how old ?
It might be worth a new engine, you don't have to go with a Vanguard, but it is a much better engine than other Briggs series.
Here is a 22 hp new Briggs from - Small Engine Surplus.com Small Engine Surplus.com 441777-0568 Briggs & Stratton 22 HP
Not to say that one will work, you need to match up diameter and length of shaft and also alternator output.
But you might get a new engine for a lot less than you thought.