Export thread

Blades stay engaged even when PTO is not.

T

Tstrode

Mtd 38" riding mower. Blades are engaged even when PTO handle is not. Just changed deck belt, blades, and PTO cable and now as soon as I start the mower blades are spinning. When I engage PTO handle the spin faster. Does the belt just need time to streach or is something amiss?

I

ILENGINE

Wrong or non OEM style belt, or belt installed incorrectly.

T

Tstrode

I have 1/2 " x 76" that a repair shop gave me. However factory belt was 1/2 x 77. Will the one inch solve the issue of I charge belts?

I

ILENGINE

That difference can make a big difference. What makes a bigger difference is the use of not OEM or OEM style belts because they have a special cut angle, and actual length this not reflected in the cross over tables. Meaning just because the book says it is a 1/2 x 77 doesn't mean the OEM belt is that exact length and width. MTD and JD use special width and cut angle belts that don't match standard off the shelf belts.

T

Tstrode

Thanks for the info. I ordered a replacement V belt from MTD and hope that will solve the problem. Will update here once it arrives and is installed.

T

Tstrode

Thanks for the info....replaced it with an V belt 1/2x77 from Bolens and it fixed the problem. Thanks again.