Blade not engaging after mowing for a while

knarva

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 54inch John Deere walk-behind and after mowing for about 45 minutes or so the PTO isn't working. I stop to empty the bag and when I try to start mowing again the blades won't re-engage. I let the mower sit overnight and the next morning it starts up and pto works right away so my gut tells me the PTO switch is bad? Any other suggestions?

Push Pull Power Take-Off (PTO) Switch
Part Number LVA21437

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well could be and could not. I have seen partially shorted PTO to drain the battery just enough that the PTO would not engage during but the battery recovers during none use. I also seen a failing PTO clutch to do the same thing.

First thing would to check the coil of the clutch with an Ohms meter and make sure it is above 1.7 ohms. Any lower will cause excessive current draw.Also loose F56 terminals can cause the same thing. And if a relay is in the circuit even it could cause a problem.

Plus without the model number finding a wiring schematic would be hard.

With problem like this it takes experience and good troubleshooting skills to find the actual source of the problem.

knarva

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. According to John Deere site, my serial number returns 54-Inch Commercial Walk-Behind Mower - PC10389. I'll check for loose wires and for Ohms and go from there.