Export thread

Blade bolt won't turn against blade/blade adapter

S

smrella

Picked up a barely used TB360 that's hard to start and wont cut.

I noticed if I try to take off the blade bolt, it will turn and is stuck along to the inner shaft? but I cannot get the bolt off by itself. It just keeps spinning and making a grinding noise with the shaft.
The blade and blade adapter spin freely.

What exactly is going on here?

Thanks.

R

Rivets

When you turn the blade bolt, does the crankshaft turn also? If so the grinding is there because you are rubbing the brake against the flywheel. If the crankshaft doesn’t turn, just the bolt, then to me like the blade bolt is stripped in the crankshaft.

S

smrella

Yes, if you are meaning the shaft that sits inside blade adapter

R

Rivets

Yes to which question?

S

smrella

Yes to which question?

Yes that the crankshaft inside is turning with bolt and making noise. The bolt is not spinning by itself.

StarTech

StarTech

A good impact should be able to loosen the bolt. Now the blade will need replacing as it key is sheared.

S

smrella

A good impact should be able to loosen the bolt. Now the blade will need replacing as it key is sheared.

Will try. Thank you.

R

Rivets

Sorry I didn’t get back to you, got called away on a job. Star is correct on the impact wrench. Might want to remove the spark plug and stuff a bunch of cotton rope into the cylinder. This will stop the crankshaft from turning.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If the blade adapter key stripped might want want to check the flywheel key. If they hit something that sheared the blade adapter could have also sheared the flywheel key

S

smrella

If the blade adapter key stripped might want want to check the flywheel key. If they hit something that sheared the blade adapter could have also sheared the flywheel key

Thank you guys. I will check the flywheel and the key for damage. I’ll report back when I get a chance.

S

smrella

Hi all,

I was able to remove the flywheel and key. It isn't necessarily sheared, but looks rough. What do you guys think? I am about to go out and pick up another one and install.

Attachments

R

Rivets

Notice in image #6 the diagonal you see a key way line? That’s the start of a shear. For $1 replace it. Do you want too tear this down again because you didn’t spend a buck?

S

smrella

Notice in image #6 the diagonal you see a key way line? That’s the start of a shear. For $1 replace it. Do you want too tear this down again because you didn’t spend a buck?

Yeah I can tell the difference now between it and a brand new one. But even after I installed a new one it still didnt fix the problem. Still hard to start and jerks back. Something is definetly wrong with the shaft assembly when the new blade got put one. I am taking it in for repair.

R

Rivets

Did you torque the flywheel nut when you installed the new key. You wouldn’t be the first one who did not get it tight and sheared the key on their first attempt to start the unit.

B

bertsmobile1

And check the crank & flywheel for a burr at the key slot.
Usually there is a small one there and unless is removed the taper can not seal & the first time you pull the starter it shifts & takes out the key again.
When it is back together, do a few pulls with the plug lead removed & ignition turned off.
IF it still feels jerky then you are right & there is a mechanical problem elsewhere on the mower