Big contract

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got a phone call today to give a bid on a 5 acre lot. It is the French Embassy. It would be for the next season (after the winter time). Thing is I don't have a zero turn, but I would be ready to buy one to be able to tackle the larger yards that I have and also do the 5 acre one. I am just a little worried about bidding. The guy that works at the Embassy told me that they are 2 zero turns and it takes 2.5 - 3 hours to mow, trim and blow. We would be two. One on the trimming, the other on the Z. I estimate about 5 hours. That would be about 350$ a cut. Is this good or too low?

Thank you for any input.

By the way, I allready started looking at zero turns. Probably exmark Lazer Z or Toro Titan MX5400. Eveyrone has that type of mower around here, so lots of parts support. If there are any other recommendations with z's of about 5K please share.

LoCo86

Threads
Got a phone call today to give a bid on a 5 acre lot. It is the French Embassy. It would be for the next season (after the winter time). Thing is I don't have a zero turn, but I would be ready to buy one to be able to tackle the larger yards that I have and also do the 5 acre one. I am just a little worried about bidding. The guy that works at the Embassy told me that they are 2 zero turns and it takes 2.5 - 3 hours to mow, trim and blow. We would be two. One on the trimming, the other on the Z. I estimate about 5 hours. That would be about 350$ a cut. Is this good or too low? Thank you for any input. By the way, I allready started looking at zero turns. Probably exmark Lazer Z or Toro Titan MX5400. Eveyrone has that type of mower around here, so lots of parts support. If there are any other recommendations with z's of about 5K please share.

If you can get into an Exmark Lazer Z for 5k then I would definitely go that route. In my area for a Lazer Z E-series the price is around 8K. Also that price sounds a little low but I don't know anything about the property.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
price sounds low for time you're figuring it'll take. however I haven't seen the property and don't know their expectations. even at 3.5 hours for 5 acres seems like a long time. a ztr would be a must plus it'll open a lot capability for your business. good luck man.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I thought 70$/hour was pretty good.

The back portion is just huge, but it seems easy to do. A big flat rectangle with a few trees.

I will know for sure on Thursday. I will be meeting someone at the Embassy to take a look around. He will then give me the paperwork to fill out. I still have time to decide.

I've been on the fence for a zero turn, but I would like one to be able to do more jobs and not refuse the big ones anymore. I've looked at Simplicity and Ferris also. Nice machines.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
A place like that 100/hr would be good

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Allright, I visited the place for the estimate. All togheter the property is 5 acres. There is about 1.5 acres to mow.

The front portion is 20 000 square feet (half acre) of grass. There are 2 small yard beds and I counted about 35 trees and obstables that are towards the end of the yard.
There is also two slopes that are very steep and I will use my trimmer to do them. Then, there is this flat spot that I could do with a 21". Finnaly, there is a long stretch that needs to be trimmed.

I estimated about 3.5 hours of trimming, blowing and mowing. Is that too long or all right?

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
sounds like you've done a good job assessing the property. I don't know how efficient you are or your crew but worst case scenario you bid it get it and it takes a little longer. not sure how tight of a schedule or how booked up you are but worrying about a few minutes won't get you the job. bid it at 3.5 hours and start getting paid.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like you've done a good job assessing the property. I don't know how efficient you are or your crew but worst case scenario you bid it get it and it takes a little longer. not sure how tight of a schedule or how booked up you are but worrying about a few minutes won't get you the job. bid it at 3.5 hours and start getting paid.

Yea, it would be awsome to have as a contract. I even added cost of fuel for the season in the price. I also have to trim hedges, maintain 3 yard beds and do a fall clean up. I got my price in head and will send it to him on Monday with the contract. Worst case I lose a bit of money and learn and the next year I raise the price. It would be hard for me to walk out at the end of the season and be broke from this contract.

Also, does anyone know how much gas a zero turn takes to mow an acre or 2?

As for being efficient, I myself am very efficient with trimmers, 21" mowers and blowers, but I have never used a zero turn before (if I do get one, my GF has 2+ acres where I can pratice on with a bunch of trees), so I will have to learn after a few cuts. Then person that helps me out is fine with a trimmer (doesn't rub it hard on the ground leaving yellow spots) and he keeps a 21" mower straight as an arrow at all times. I am always impressed with that.

Last edited: