Export thread

Big Box Store or Local Dealer

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I am wondering if more of you out there buy big box store equipment or local dealers and please tell me why???? :anyone::anyone::anyone:

Kodie's Lawn Service

Kodie's Lawn Service

I try to buy as many things as i can from a dealer so that i keep there livelihoods and they offer great service as well :smile::thumbsup:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Local Dealer!!!!

I always buy from a dealer for many reasons. One, it supports the local economy. Two, they tend to be more knowledgeable about their products. Three, they tend to be nicer because you have bought stuff there before and might give you a deal. Four, they service what they sell! The only thing I did NOT buy from a dealer was my Craftsman snowblower.

Ric

Ric

I always buy from a dealer I'd rather support the local business instead of the BB stores, and like LMF said they are more knowledgeable about the products and equipment they sell. When you buy from a dealer you're not only supporting them but you're getting there service department and that can payoff big time. Buying from a dealer can earn you discounts on upcoming purchases, again something that can benefit you as a consumer. These are things that you'll never get from a BB store.

J

jymie

You get no service from a big box store enough said....

R

Rivets

LMF SAYS "I always buy from a dealer for many reasons.". Which dealer did you buy your Crapman at? Or is it always unless I get a better price.

R

ramaglia375

I try to buy as many things as i can from a dealer so that i keep there livelihoods and they offer great service as well :smile::thumbsup:

I work at a "big box store" part-time and can verify the lack of "product support" after the sale. Other than a return or an exchange, everything has to be sent out to the manufacturers for repair.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I work at a "big box store" part-time and can verify the lack of "product support" after the sale. Other than a return or an exchange, everything has to be sent out to the manufacturers for repair.

OK since you work at a BB store I have a question for you: Are the mowers you buy at a BB store different in anyway than the ones you buy at a dealer? Some people say they ARE different, but others say there is no difference. :confused2:

wjjones

wjjones

What if you buy from a big box store, or dealer but do all your own service, and repair? Just curious because I buy from both but mostly from dealers.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

OK since you work at a BB store I have a question for you: Are the mowers you buy at a BB store different in anyway than the ones you buy at a dealer? Some people say they ARE different, but others say there is no difference. :confused2:

I would say their is differences but only down to price.

Over here you could buy a red cylinder mower from a certain bbs for 」399 but no scarifier cassette.
Now from a dealer same machine but it was green for 」499 but with scarifier cassette free.
Scarifier cassette can be only bought from a dealer but its 」120.

Also some lawnmowers would have no oil filters or no bearings in wheels or handle arrangment different or even down to engine internals different to keep price down.

But if it was a well known expensive brand then the bbs machine and dealer machine are exactly the same.

Its then down to price against service.

We get customers use us for test run and all the leg work and then go and buy from a bbs or internet.

R

ramaglia375

The box store that I work for is in the sporting goods market. A lot of the products are the same as the competitors while others are "dealer exclusives". That being said, when it comes to support for the items sold, the store is unable to provide that support. Unless its a straight up return or exchange (which exchanges may not be available on certain items) it must go back to the manufacturer for service. The store has neither the means nor the qualified personal to carry out any servicing, repairs, etc.

As for mowers offered by the box stores vs dealers simply compare model numbers and / or specifications. For the most part it appears that models are the same with the dealer carry more of the model line and of course offering a post sale servicing.

djdicetn

djdicetn

The box store that I work for is in the sporting goods market. A lot of the products are the same as the competitors while others are "dealer exclusives". That being said, when it comes to support for the items sold, the store is unable to provide that support. Unless its a straight up return or exchange (which exchanges may not be available on certain items) it must go back to the manufacturer for service. The store has neither the means nor the qualified personal to carry out any servicing, repairs, etc.

As for mowers offered by the box stores vs dealers simply compare model numbers and / or specifications. For the most part it appears that models are the same with the dealer carry more of the model line and of course offering a post sale servicing.

ramaglia375,
I think you(and others) have answered your question with an overwhelming number of reasons why buying from a dealer is better:
1)Models available to choose from.
2)Warranty service after the sale.
3)Service/repairs after the Warranty expires by a recommended manufacturer repair facility.
4)I've not seen a big box store yet(except clearance models in the fall to deplete inventory on hand) that can/will "negotiate" the purchase price. Dealers are just like a car dealer(they mark up their cost pretty significantly or ask the Mfr's MSRP). When I bought my 2012 Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ152 last fall, just before the 2013 models came out, I offered the dealer ~ $1,300 out-the-door below the MSRP for the 2013(same exact model-plus taxes). He accepted my counter-offer without even hesitating. Try that at Home Depot:0(

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I like this image that talks about buying from BB Stores: big box.jpg

djdicetn

djdicetn

I like this image that talks about buying from BB Stores: View attachment 13508

lmf,
Yep that made me thhink of something I didn't mention earlier......"Dealer Prep". After my purchase of my Gravely, before I picked it up, the dealer's mechanic went over it with a fine tooth comb. They torqued every bolt to specs(there were little white crayon X's at every assembly point they checked) leveled the deck, topped up the hydraulic fluid in the HydroGear trannies and of course installed the "break-in" oil and checked the engine and wiring. You just don't get ANY of that from a big box store. You're probably lucky if the guy that "assembled it"(if you buy one on display) knew what he was doing:0(

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

lmf,
Yep that made me thhink of something I didn't mention earlier......"Dealer Prep". After my purchase of my Gravely, before I picked it up, the dealer's mechanic went over it with a fine tooth comb. They torqued every bolt to specs(there were little white crayon X's at every assembly point they checked) leveled the deck, topped up the hydraulic fluid in the HydroGear trannies and of course installed the "break-in" oil and checked the engine and wiring. You just don't get ANY of that from a big box store. You're probably lucky if the guy that "assembled it"(if you buy one on display) knew what he was doing:0(

Yeah that's a good point!

MowerMike

MowerMike

It depends on what I'm buying. Most of my tools and outdoor power equipment is electric, which requires no setup, maintenance or repair. It's relatively cheap and when it breaks you just get it replaced. Also, it is mostly sold either through big box or online webstores. I've bought a lot of equipment from eBay sellers or Amazon.

Gas powered tools I prefer to buy from a local brick and mortar store. If there's a proper dealer nearby, I'll buy it there; otherwise I'll buy it wherever I can find it. Price is rarely an issue, since quality brands like Echo are rarely discounted at big box stores or the discounts are small. I'm not that concerned about service or warranty with my gas powered tools, since they are all very simple and low cost. The most I've paid is about $320 including tax for a gas push mower with a reliable Honda engine that is easy to maintain and unlikely to break for many years. Assembly is either very simple, like assembling blower tubes, or none at all. I just cut down the box on the mower, raised the handlebar with no tools, poured in the supplied pre-measured bottle of motor oil, gassed it up and it was good to go. The Echo SRM-225 trimmer and PE-225 edger came fully assembled off the rack. I bought the edger from Home Depot and the trimmer from a full service dealer. The only difference was that the dealer put some premix in it and tested it out for me and Home Depot did not.

djdicetn

djdicetn

It depends on what I'm buying. Most of my tools and outdoor power equipment is electric, which requires no setup, maintenance or repair. It's relatively cheap and when it breaks you just get it replaced. Also, it is mostly sold either through big box or online webstores. I've bought a lot of equipment from eBay sellers or Amazon.

Gas powered tools I prefer to buy from a local brick and mortar store. If there's a proper dealer nearby, I'll buy it there; otherwise I'll buy it wherever I can find it. Price is rarely an issue, since quality brands like Echo are rarely discounted at big box stores or the discounts are small. I'm not that concerned about service or warranty with my gas powered tools, since they are all very simple and low cost. The most I've paid is about $320 including tax for a gas push mower with a reliable Honda engine that is easy to maintain and unlikely to break for many years. Assembly is either very simple, like assembling blower tubes, or none at all. I just cut down the box on the mower, raised the handlebar with no tools, poured in the supplied pre-measured bottle of motor oil, gassed it up and it was good to go. The Echo SRM-225 trimmer and PE-225 edger came fully assembled off the rack. I bought the edger from Home Depot and the trimmer from a full service dealer. The only difference was that the dealer put some premix in it and tested it out for me and Home Depot did not.

MowerMike,
I can't argue with that philosophy. I'm not saying that big box retailer sell "junk". For a lot of things like small lawn & garden equipment(string trimmer, etc.) for a homeowner(especially if you have a small budget allotment for what you need) retailers are a very viable option. It's just when you get into the "expensive" equipment like Zero Turn Mowers(several thousand dollars) that you need to check with local dealers for all the reasons mentioned. Home Depot sold Ariens Zero Turn mowers last fall when I was looking but ONLY the entry level models. I just couldn't justify buying one of theirs when I could buy an Arien's "big brother"(the Gravely) at a dealer for a little more money(but Commercial quality).

MowerMike

MowerMike

MowerMike,
I can't argue with that philosophy. I'm not saying that big box retailer sell "junk". For a lot of things like small lawn & garden equipment(string trimmer, etc.) for a homeowner(especially if you have a small budget allotment for what you need) retailers are a very viable option. It's just when you get into the "expensive" equipment like Zero Turn Mowers(several thousand dollars) that you need to check with local dealers for all the reasons mentioned. Home Depot sold Ariens Zero Turn mowers last fall when I was looking but ONLY the entry level models. I just couldn't justify buying one of theirs when I could buy an Arien's "big brother"(the Gravely) at a dealer for a little more money(but Commercial quality).

No argument with you either. The most I've ever paid for any one tool is $399 + tax for a Greenworks Li-Ion battery powered mower, which was available only through Lowe's and a Generac gas pressure washer, which I bought through Wal-Mart online with free shipment directly to my home. If I were to buy something like you said, which costs thousands of dollars and is complicated to setup and maintain, then for certain I would buy it through a competent full-service dealer. Still, like I said, if there's a dealer nearby that sells the same item as a big box, then I'll still patronize the dealer, even if the price is slightly higher.

MowerMike

MowerMike

No argument with you either. The most I've ever paid for any one tool is $399 + tax for a Greenworks Li-Ion battery powered mower, which was available only through Lowe's and a Generac gas pressure washer, which I bought through Wal-Mart online with free shipment directly to my home. If I were to buy something like you said, which costs thousands of dollars and is complicated to setup and maintain, then for certain I would buy it through a competent full-service dealer. Still, like I said, if there's a dealer nearby that sells the same item as a big box, then I'll still patronize the dealer, even if the price is slightly higher.

Also, big boxes sell both junk and quality. Home Depot sells Yard Machines (MTD) lawn mowers, which are definitely junk, but they also sell Honda mowers, which are not junk. They sell Homelite blowers and trimmers with junky half crank engines, but they also sell Echo with quality full crank engines and short blocks made in Japan that are definitely not junk.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Also, big boxes sell both junk and quality. Home Depot sells Yard machines (MTD) lawn mowers, which are definitely junk, but they also sell Honda mowers, which are not junk. They sell Homelite blowers and trimmers with junky half crank engines, but they also sell Echo with quality full crank engines and short blocks made in Japan that are definitely not junk.

Yeah, if you're gonna buy at a big box you need to do a little research first before making the purchase to sort out the wheat from the chaff!

wjjones

wjjones

I bought an Echo blower from Home depot today that is the identical same one my local dealer has but the dealer wants $30 more than Home depot.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I bought an Echo blower from Home depot today that is the identical same one my local dealer has but the dealer wants $30 more than Home depot.

A lot of dealers will offer you a lower price if you tell them you found it cheaper elsewhere. :rolleyes:

R

Rivets

I sure hope you don't have to go to the dealer for service, $30 may have been cheap insurance done the road.

djdicetn

djdicetn

I sure hope you don't have to go to the dealer for service, $30 may have been cheap insurance done the road.

Rivets,
You took the words right out of my mouth....I was just gonna say to user wjjones(although our hopes are, for his sake, that we could be wrong)......so, you saved $30 and a month later it won't start. Where do you take it for Warranty service....Home Depot....NOPE, you take it to the dealer. Dealer goes....hmmmm, this is a Home Depot trimmer, so since the guy didn't patronize us with his money we're gonna pad the labor charge with an extra hour. Maybe not, but whose to know and I would have asked, like user lmf said, the dealer to at least meet me half way and give me $15 off his price to get my business. It never hurts to ask.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Rivets,
You took the words right out of my mouth....I was just gonna say to user wjjones(although our hopes are, for his sake, that we could be wrong)......so, you saved $30 and a month later it won't start. Where do you take it for Warranty service....Home Depot....NOPE, you take it to the dealer. Dealer goes....hmmmm, this is a Home Depot trimmer, so since the guy didn't patronize us with his money we're gonna pad the labor charge with an extra hour. Maybe not, but whose to know and I would have asked, like user lmf said, the dealer to at least meet me half way and give me $15 off his price to get my business. It never hurts to ask.

I agree! :rolleyes:

wjjones

wjjones

A lot of dealers will offer you a lower price if you tell them you found it cheaper elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Yep I mentioned it to him, and he said he wouldnt go any lower so I bought it from Home depot. Home Deopot it was $159.99 plus 10% off that his was $199.99, and he wouldnt even take the Echo product code for $10 off.

midnite rider

midnite rider

It all depends if you are a professional or homeowner on what type of equipment you may need and if it is used a lot and for your livelihood or very little. Some cheap stuff will last a homeowner 20 years even not being maintained well. I can attest to that. Also some people do not like to haggle and go back and forth on purchase price, give me your best price or see ya later. The local mower repair shop that does not deal in new equipment may tend to differ with who you buy from seeing as how he may want the business of people who buy from a big box or sell them used equipment that he has repaired. We have a lot of these small repair shops in my area who also support our local economy. By the way the corporate office of Home Depot is just down the road and brings a lot into our local economy here not counting all the big box stores who employ many people full time. A new retractable roof stadium is being built here with a large portion of one of the owners of Home Depot's finances. Most of the buyers who read this forum I would venture to say are of the homeowner genre. To each his/her own.

Professional or large estate ==== most go to dealer supported equipment
Homeowner ======= most go to Big Box store equipment

As of me myself being a homeowner, you need to add another choice as I do not support either one. I rarely buy anything new. I support the seller on Craigs list and help keep material out of the local landfill, ours being a throw away society. There is to much equipment used to be had inexpensively needing only a minor repair that I can perform. Works for me along with this great forum. Just my :2cents: for what it's worth.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Yep I mentioned it to him, and he said he wouldn't go any lower so I bought it from Home depot. Home Depot it was $159.99 plus 10% off that his was $199.99, and he wouldn't even take the Echo product code for $10 off.

Sounds like you bought the Echo PB-250LN, which has an Echo MSRP of $170. I bought mine at HD last August when they had them discounted to $159 as they do now. I can see a dealer charging straight MSRP, but when they are $30 over as in your case I can't see patronizing them. Dealers should never charge over MSRP. There's plenty of profit in it for them is they sell at MSRP. For example, I recently bought an Echo SRM-225 trimmer from a local dealer who had them on sale at 10% below MSRP, and he told me that his cost was about 17% below MSRP, so he was still making some profit. Even if HD had it on sale and the dealer did not, I would still buy it from the dealer if he priced it at MSRP. This is a full service dealer, and he delivered the trimmer to me gassed up and tested.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Its all about the buying price. I do all my own service other then warranty. If I can save a few $s buying from the box store that's for me. Didn't I just get knocked for saying that you buy it you own it after buying from the dealer and told how dumb I was and how dare I. Now if you buy it from the large box store if you don't like it you can bring it back in a short time.

R

Rivets

WOW, 17% below MSRP, still making a profit. That's roughly $30. Thats the difference you were asking for. How does the small dealer make profit. Reduce that by taking off shipping, employee time setting up, a little fuel, etc. Why do you think he can't reduce the price that much. Any of you every think about overhead. Big Box buys a 1000 at a crack for an even better price. Where are we supposed to make our living. Do we make it on repairs, no wait, you say we charge to much. Thats why you come to this forum, don't go to the repair shop and ask for help, you've already got him ticked off with you attitude toward him. Are there bad dealers out there? You bet, I have my sure and will tell people not to do there no matter the price. Give your local good dealer a break. How many small dealers and repair shops have gone out of business in your area in the last 10 years? I wonder why? Thanks you to everyone that really supports their local guys with their $$$$. To those who love the BB's, read my signature.

PS: Reynoldston, I understand where you are coming from, because I think you are old school, which means you already give away more repairs than you should, but that's the way we were brought up. But, I'll bet that you are in good relations with at least one repair shop in your area.

MowerMike

MowerMike

WOW, 17% below MSRP, still making a profit. That's roughly $30. Thats the difference you were asking for. How does the small dealer make profit. Reduce that by taking off shipping, employee time setting up, a little fuel, etc. Why do you think he can't reduce the price that much. Any of you every think about overhead. Big Box buys a 1000 at a crack for an even better price. Where are we supposed to make our living. Do we make it on repairs, no wait, you say we charge to much. Thats why you come to this forum, don't go to the repair shop and ask for help, you've already got him ticked off with you attitude toward him. Are there bad dealers out there? You bet, I have my sure and will tell people not to do there no matter the price. Give your local good dealer a break. How many small dealers and repair shops have gone out of business in your area in the last 10 years? I wonder why? Thanks you to everyone that really supports their local guys with their $$$$. To those who love the BB's, read my signature.

PS: Reynoldston, I understand where you are coming from, because I think you are old school, which means you already give away more repairs than you should, but that's the way we were brought up. But, I'll bet that you are in good relations with at least one repair shop in your area.

First off, small dealers don't make their livings off homeowners like myself that buy one small ticket item like a handheld blower, and do their own service because the tool is so simple. They make their livings off pros who buy dozens of tools and big ticket items like ZTRs that require major maintenance. If they can't make a living selling equipment at MSRP or DRSP then they deserve to go out of business. There are plenty of successful dealers where I live that have been in business for decades. It took my dealer's tech about 30 seconds to put some gas in my Echo SRM-225 trimmer and start it up to make sure it was ok. It was already assembled on the rack, but then so are the ones sold at HD. I'll patronize this dealer when he has a product that I want, even if his price is a bit higher than BB, but I doubt it's going to have much affect on his bottom line or that he's going out of business because a small spender like myself doesn't patronize his shop.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Got to agree with all of that!!

R

Rivets

If you truly believe what you posted, you don't know much about the small engine repair business. That blower you took off the wall has to be assembled, for your information it comes in a box. Gas ain't cheap. Time is even more expensive, you have a guy that is faster than a NASCAR pick crew, if he can set up a piece of equipment in 30 seconds. If you think that dealers make their living off the big landscapers, the drought has got your brain fried. They make their living on their customer service with the little guys returning year after year and spreading the word. The bigs guys put the furniture in the house, but the little guys put the food on the table. If you have the guts, print this thread out and take it to your dealer and see if he agrees with you or me.

MowerMike

MowerMike

If you truly believe what you posted, you don't know much about the small engine repair business. That blower you took off the wall has to be assembled, for your information it comes in a box. Gas ain't cheap. Time is even more expensive, you have a guy that is faster than a NASCAR pick crew, if he can set up a piece of equipment in 30 seconds. If you think that dealers make their living off the big landscapers, the drought has got your brain fried. They make their living on their customer service with the little guys returning year after year and spreading the word. The bigs guys put the furniture in the house, but the little guys put the food on the table. If you have the guts, print this thread out and take it to your dealer and see if he agrees with you or me.

You have a reading comprehension problem and a lot of pent up anger that you are misdirecting towards me. The trimmer was already assembled, so all he had to do was gas it and pull the cord a few times to get it started. The trimmers are also fully assembled at HD, and I can gas and start one myself in 30 seconds. He put about 50 cents worth of gas in it. So, if you are suggesting that the dealer somehow added $30 of value to this item through his extra time and material, then you need to go back to school and learn some basic math. As to the dealer I patronized, I have no problem with him and he has none with me, since there was no argument about pricing.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

First off, small dealers don't make their livings off homeowners like myself that buy one small ticket item like a handheld blower, and do their own service because the tool is so simple. They make their livings off pros who buy dozens of tools and big ticket items like ZTRs that require major maintenance. If they can't make a living selling equipment at MSRP or DRSP then they deserve to go out of business. There are plenty of successful dealers where I live that have been in business for decades. It took my dealer's tech about 30 seconds to put some gas in my Echo SRM-225 trimmer and start it up to make sure it was ok. It was already assembled on the rack, but then so are the ones sold at HD. I'll patronize this dealer when he has a product that I want, even if his price is a bit higher than BB, but I doubt it's going to have much affect on his bottom line or that he's going out of business because a small spender like myself doesn't patronize his shop.

Dealers dont make money selling any product due to times involved.
Most dealers will get about 20-30% discount.
1st we have to order it either by phone or internet ordering system but thats time.
2nd it arrives and we have to unpack, pdi, and testrun, time
3rd we hope somebody comes in the showroom to buy as we have bought the product so out of pocket from the start and when they do we advise and decide what product which takes time.
4th Depending on product we might have to go to potential customer to be to check garden and landscape which takes time.
5th depending on product we might have to deliver which takes time.
6th we take payment, raise invoice and create warranty which takes time.

So the % we make is just lost due to lack of production in the workshop as we cant afford a full time salesperson due to everybody buying online or bigbox.

As for discount , that is a swearword in my place.
Would you ask for discount at your local supermarket till?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Dealers dont make money selling any product due to times involved.
Most dealers will get about 20-30% discount.
1st we have to order it either by phone or internet ordering system but thats time.
2nd it arrives and we have to unpack, pdi, and testrun, time
3rd we hope somebody comes in the showroom to buy as we have bought the product so out of pocket from the start and when they do we advise and decide what product which takes time.
4th Depending on product we might have to go to potential customer to be to check garden and landscape which takes time.
5th depending on product we might have to deliver which takes time.
6th we take payment, raise invoice and create warranty which takes time.

So the % we make is just lost due to lack of production in the workshop as we cant afford a full time salesperson due to everybody buying online or bigbox.

As for discount , that is a swearword in my place.
Would you ask for discount at your local supermarket till?

Who's asking for a discount ? I'm just saying don't sell it at a markup over MSRP. Jeez. If you don't want my business, because I'm buying a low ticket item that won't be brought in for maintenance, then just say so and I won't bother to patronize your business. I didn't have it special ordered, and knew what I wanted when I walked in the store.

R

Rivets

My " pent up anger" is directed toward you and all others who have no idea the costs that it takes to run a small business of any type. Case in point, I don't know of one small engine piece of equipment which is delivered to any business that doesnot have to be set up in someway before it goes on the floor. All you see is the product hanging on the wall and a salesperson of some type taking the money. You have no idea of all the money which goes out the door behind the counter. I'll say it again, take this thread to your dealer, I'll bet he agrees with me. In fact, take it to the manager of the HD, I'll bet he agrees with me also.

MowerMike

MowerMike

My " pent up anger" is directed toward you and all others who have no idea the costs that it takes to run a small business of any type. Case in point, I don't know of one small engine piece of equipment which is delivered to any business that does not have to be set up in someway before it goes on the floor. All you see is the product hanging on the wall and a salesperson of some type taking the money. You have no idea of all the money which goes out the door behind the counter. I'll say it again, take this thread to your dealer, I'll bet he agrees with me. In fact, take it to the manager of the HD, I'll bet he agrees with me also.

Wrong. I DO know what it takes to run a small retail business, because I successfully ran one for 20 years. Only, in my case it was a bicycle shop, which is one of the most cutthroat businesses there are. So, you can take your opinions and shove them.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Who's asking for a discount ? I'm just saying don't sell it at a markup over MSRP. Jeez. If you don't want my business, because I'm buying a low ticket item that won't be brought in for maintenance, then just say so and I won't bother to patronize your business. I didn't have it special ordered, and knew what I wanted when I walked in the store.

I didnt say you had said anything about discount. All i was meaning is i hate people expecting a discount from a local shop but dont ask for discount at a super market.
When it was marked up maybe he had bought it at the wrong price so had to mark up.
A customer that buys anything from a spark plug at low money to a tractor at a lot of money is important to any business.

Also i dont understand what patronize means.
Do you mean to be loyal to the shop or to put the shop down?

R

Rivets

And all your bikes came fully assembled. All you did was put hot air in the tires. I stand by my posts.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Also i don't understand what patronize means. Do you mean to be loyal to the shop or to put the shop down?

pa·tron·ize (ptr-nz, ptr-)
tr.v. patronized, patronizing, patronizes
1. To act as a patron to; support or sponsor.
2. To go to as a customer, especially on a regular basis.
3. To treat in a condescending manner.

MowerMike

MowerMike

And all your bikes came fully assembled. All you did was put hot air in the tires. I stand by my posts.

You are the one who is clueless here. :rolleyes:

R

Rivets

Don't need a clue, to understand you. See below.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Don't need a clue, to understand you. See below.

When you've got nothing intelligent to say, punt.

Carscw

Carscw

Even most big box stores price match.

I am going to who has the best price. When I am out cutting HUD homes and need a part and go to a dealer most times I just get pissed off
Always want a model number for even blades or a tire I always go in with a pic and a part number I like the little home town dealer down the road I go in say I need a clutch disk for a 1990 snapper he turn around and picks it up
Now go to a big dealer and they want a model number I just walk out There is only one clutch disk

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

wjjones

wjjones

Even most big box stores price match.

I am going to who has the best price. When I am out cutting HUD homes and need a part and go to a dealer most times I just get pissed off
Always want a model number for even blades or a tire I always go in with a pic and a part number I like the little home town dealer down the road I go in say I need a clutch disk for a 1990 snapper he turn around and picks it up
Now go to a big dealer and they want a model number I just walk out There is only one clutch disk

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Yep same here.:thumbsup:

djdicetn

djdicetn

WOW, thought for a minute this thread was going to come to blows:0)
I'm still pretty annoyed at the local Home Depot manager.....just before Christmas I decided I wanted one of those MoJacks and had seen them at Home Depot last summer. I figured, it's the dead of winter surely if they have any in stock they will give me an "off season discount" just to make a winter-time sale.......WRONG. The manager abruptly said no, I'm not allowed to give discounts. I wasn't expecting "much", just maybe $15-$20 off the $199 price to off-set the sales tax. But no go, if I wanted it I had to pay full price. I later saw the MoJack at TSC(same price). I asked and TSC said they would give me $10 off without hesitating when I told them Home Depot had them for the same price. I "almost" boxed mine up and took it back to HD and asked for a refund and tell them TSC was selling them cheaper. But I just let it go. The HD manager "could have" done the same thing and we all know it!!!

Mid TN Lawn

Mid TN Lawn

I agree also because with out dealer support you do not have a warranty on small equipment they always tell you its your fault you used bad gas or.....

V

Vanillaman

I buy from the local dealer whenever possible. These are local people who are knowlegable about their products and are available to help if I have a problem.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

I voted dealer, you cannot buy my equipment at the big box stores and with the way my dealer as handled the issue I was having with my deck, I don't think you could ask for better service.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Read the thread

Fuel Bad fuel after 24 days? He bought his from a Dealer and look what it got him.

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

Read the thread

Fuel Bad fuel after 24 days? He bought his from a Dealer and look what it got him.

But how can you justify damning all dealers due to on that is incompetent?
I read the topic, I posted in the topic, and I hope his complaints to Husq does clip that dealers wings and adjusts his attitude.

F

Frank Dodson

I believe the dealer is the best.

Wildcat

Wildcat

For me its simple. I can choose both. Reason being is that my Cub Cadet dealer (nearest mower dealer) is also the repair shop that my BBS uses. But since I'm just a tad bias towards Cubs, I just might use the dealer for both my personal and work mowers.

gfp55

gfp55

The dealer is the way to go. The BBSs are making good brands look bad. The BBSs are like a drug to the manufacturers, they like the big volume sales that the BBS have, but to many people get mad at the brand because the BBS can't or don't care about them after the sale. The good dealer wants to make you happy after the sale. This is just my opinion, I'm not trying to make anyone mad.

M

MickG

BBS can ruin a manufacturers reputation, simply by selling a good brand name, only to not support it after the sale and any problems that should arise tarnish the brand not the BBS name. So many times I have heard people complaining about a certain brand that a they purchased from the BBS and no mention that the store had no competent service department just minimum wagers messing up otherwise good machinery.

P

Pine Rider

Fostering a relationship with a local dealer is worth much more than whatever difference there may be in price at a BBS.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Fostering a relationship with a local dealer is worth much more than whatever difference there may be in price at a BBS.
AMEN....I think the old saying is "don't be penny wise and pound foolish":0)

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

AMEN....I think the old saying is "don't be penny wise and pound foolish":0)

Wow triggered a old memory but I have always heard it "don't be penny wise and a dollar foolish"

djdicetn

djdicetn

Wow triggered a old memory but I have always heard it "don't be penny wise and a dollar foolish"

Yeah, that's an American translation....I think the original was quoted by some famous Englishman(I "think" England has pennies and pounds....right:0)

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I always buy from a dealer. There is more product at a dealer instead of a big box store. Supports the local economy, too.

C

clay45

I buy from both. My SCAG dealer doesn't carry lumber.

Carscw

Carscw

I also buy from both.

Home Depot sells air filters about $5 cheaper then most dealers. Same with belts almost half price.

M

motoman

Kinda looking for a "Garden tractor" which could take a sleeve hitch ( and ground engaging stuff like landscape rakes) so visited the local Husqy dealeer. They did not know what a sleeve hitch is. The big Husqy looked good at $3300 and free delivery . Why good? It has a Kawasaki and positraction. The dealer told me commercial Kaws push valve guides- WTF? I had also looked at Sears , $3000, but with Briggs .

I found Lowes has better price on air filters-surprise. So I guess I look at both sources which is no response.

M

motoman

I always buy from a dealer. There is more product at a dealer instead of a big box store. Supports the local economy, too.

Lazer, I meant to thank you for respose on another thread, but lost you. I am still struggling with my 1/3 acre of weeds. (Sorry off topic)

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Lazer, I meant to thank you for respose on another thread, but lost you. I am still struggling with my 1/3 acre of weeds. (Sorry off topic)

Did you try weed killer or herbicide ??

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I also buy from both.

Home Depot sells air filters about $5 cheaper then most dealers. Same with belts almost half price.

I only buy equipment and certain parts from a dealer.

I agree with air filters and belts, they are WAY cheaper, and the same exact thing.

P

Pumper54

Bought my big mower from the dealer and have them service it but I buy expendables at the local hardware store or big box store. Oil, filters, blades and belts are cheaper at the BBS.
Tom

M

motoman

These discussions remind me of those about local (mom-pop) market and being eaten alive by a Wal Mart. Despite loyalties and local flavor the overwhelming push to big box is pricing, IMO. Sears is a puzzling one...Mom-pop prices on accessories , but competitive prices on some big ticket item. This is a strategy similar to the printer industry and cell phone industry, practically giving the machinery away to make it up on e.g., ink. But Sears 48" blades at 2 to 3 times competitors' price makes no sense. Also I have met savy and experienced sales people in Sears and Lowes, but they are hamstrung to tell all due to their position. When I bought my dyt 4000 I did not think the engine would fail within 2 years, but I think the sales dude knew the problems an average owner would have , and was surprised about my refusal of exended warranty. Of course he could not volunteer information. On the other hand I just visited a Husq dealer whose employees talked some nonsense and seemed limited in knowledge.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Walmart is made in China B*****it. Eating locally owned business that have most product Made in USA.

grumpygrizzly

grumpygrizzly

As of me myself being a homeowner, you need to add another choice as I do not support either one. I rarely buy anything new. I support the seller on Craigs list and help keep material out of the local landfill, ours being a throw away society. There is to much equipment used to be had inexpensively needing only a minor repair that I can perform. Works for me along with this great forum. Just my :2cents: for what it's worth.

I spent most of last year doing all my business on CL or via Word of Mouth.

I placed an add where I'd tell folks I'm looking for non-running chainsaws, blowers, etc.. and that I'm trying to become a full time mobile small engine repair service and get out of the corporate rat race where I've been doing engineering work for 30 years now..

I had people calling me and emailing me all the time with offers of stuff for me to come pick up. A LOT of what I got basically needed the tanks drained, spark plugs cleaned, and maybe a gas line or filter replaced.

My biggest issue was trying to get away and pick up parts from the local dealers. They're only open 8-5 m-f and 8-12 on Saturdays. Barely a mile down the road is a Lowes, two miles back the opposite direction is a Home Depot..

I don't think it's the higher pricing that's killing off the small shops, I think it's that people can't get there when the doors are opened for business. Another major nail in their coffin is they have to charge $70 an hour for labor plus parts. Unless you're equipment is all Stihl based, I just don't see a lot of folks taking a 100 weed eater or leaf blower to a small shop. It's easier to just find someone that'll give them $10-20 for it and go buy another $100 unit.

Once I clean up the small engines I get, I've usually got a half to one hour time in it, all labor. I have new parts in stock but, if it's just a dirty spark plug, why not just clean it up on my wire wheel grinding wheel and if it runs like new, sell it that way?

Don't get me wrong, I DO have new plugs, filters, and lengths of fuel line that I don't hesitate putting into a motor.

I'm trying to keep this stuff out of landfills but, I've got to go through the process of getting a better cost on parts so I'm not too deep into them and can't make any money on them by the time I'm ready to sell the unit.

B

bertsmobile1

What if you buy from a big box store, or dealer but do all your own service, and repair? Just curious because I buy from both but mostly from dealers.

Down here there is a difference, oft a big difference.
The BB stores demand a 200% mark up so the mower importer, makers sell them a very much downgraded product to be flogged off to the public.
Oft they are variations exclusive to the BB store so when some one walks into the dealers with a piece of "Sh T" they bought from BB most service centres tell them to take it back to where they bought it from.
The buying public will never change from being;-
Greedy :- Want every thing but don't want to pay.
Lazy :- can't be bothered to do the most basic research , oft using indexing web sites to find the absolutely cheapest product available
Stupid :- Still can not work out the "Magic Pudding" was a piece of fiction.

I sell refurbished mowers with a 1, 2 or 3 year guarantee because I do the work properly and regularly get told I have to sell them the mower at this price because they can by a new one for less.
When I draw their attention that I offer a 3 year warantee where as the BB only gives you 12 months I get sworn at.

As a rule of thumb I will not repair BB house brands either

B

bertsmobile1

I also buy from both.

that is because Home Depot buys them for 50% less than the corner dealer and in most cases dose not pay for them at all till after they are sold.
Also they carry a very small range and when the total sales of a particular belt/ filter drops below some marker, they will stop carrying them

If you think all the good service & skills you get from your local dealer is not worth $ 5.00 extra on a filter you replace once or twice a year then be prepared to buy a new mower every 5 years because the local shop will close down & most BB stores will only carry the fastest moving filters.

I currently have $ 8,000 worth of filters in stock at least 2 of every one each of my customers use including some for machines that are better than 20 years old.
My belt inventory is in the $ 12,000 area for the same reason. My mark ups are generally around the 50% mark, Home Depots mark ups will be around 100 + % and they will only keep the most popular belts.

Who from Home Depot will come out to you on Sunday afternoon & fix your mower ?

B

bertsmobile1

I spent most of last year doing all my business on CL or via Word of Mouth.

I placed an add where I'd tell folks I'm looking for non-running chainsaws, blowers, etc.. and that I'm trying to become a full time mobile small engine repair service and get out of the corporate rat race where I've been doing engineering work for 30 years now..

I had people calling me and emailing me all the time with offers of stuff for me to come pick up. A LOT of what I got basically needed the tanks drained, spark plugs cleaned, and maybe a gas line or filter replaced.

My biggest issue was trying to get away and pick up parts from the local dealers. They're only open 8-5 m-f and 8-12 on Saturdays. Barely a mile down the road is a Lowes, two miles back the opposite direction is a Home Depot..

I don't think it's the higher pricing that's killing off the small shops, I think it's that people can't get there when the doors are opened for business. Another major nail in their coffin is they have to charge $70 an hour for labor plus parts. Unless you're equipment is all Stihl based, I just don't see a lot of folks taking a 100 weed eater or leaf blower to a small shop. It's easier to just find someone that'll give them $10-20 for it and go buy another $100 unit.

Once I clean up the small engines I get, I've usually got a half to one hour time in it, all labor. I have new parts in stock but, if it's just a dirty spark plug, why not just clean it up on my wire wheel grinding wheel and if it runs like new, sell it that way?

Don't get me wrong, I DO have new plugs, filters, and lengths of fuel line that I don't hesitate putting into a motor.

I'm trying to keep this stuff out of landfills but, I've got to go through the process of getting a better cost on parts so I'm not too deep into them and can't make any money on them by the time I'm ready to sell the unit.

Grumpy,
If you are runnng a legit business with the appropriate tax numbers then open a trade account with one of the aftermarket suppliers.
that is why they are there, to service the independant small engine shops.
And contry to popular belief a lot of after market parts are as good or even better than the originals.
Our major supplier down here. Gripskie's actually do heavy duty blades for a lot of mowers that the manufactures don't.
Stens, Carlton & Origan will all supply you direct, if you are a real business.
Secondly, you should not be going out of your shop to get parts. Every second you are not at the bench is costing you money and potentially loosing you customers.

S

SeniorCitizen

What I've found with dealers, whether it be mowers, automobiles, furniture, appliances or hundreds of other categories, the dealer seems to ALWAYS first attempt to determine what the customer has done wrong to cause this problem. The newest tactic in small engine equipment is of course alcohol gasoline.

Box stores, hardly ever.

B

bertsmobile1

Also, big boxes sell both junk and quality. Home Depot sells Yard Machines (MTD) lawn mowers, which are definitely junk, but they also sell Honda mowers, which are not junk. They sell Homelite blowers and trimmers with junky half crank engines, but they also sell Echo with quality full crank engines and short blocks made in Japan that are definitely not junk.

Yes . Our local Big Box hardwear store sells
McCulloch ride ons as a "top shelf brand". The sales stall all happily tell punters that this machine comes out of the same factory as Husqvarns and is just the same as a Husky at twice the price.
What they get is a down rated Craftsman and boy are they a piece of garbage

grumpygrizzly

grumpygrizzly

Grumpy,
If you are runnng a legit business with the appropriate tax numbers then open a trade account with one of the aftermarket suppliers.
that is why they are there, to service the independant small engine shops.
And contry to popular belief a lot of after market parts are as good or even better than the originals.
Our major supplier down here. Gripskie's actually do heavy duty blades for a lot of mowers that the manufactures don't.
Stens, Carlton & Origan will all supply you direct, if you are a real business.
Secondly, you should not be going out of your shop to get parts. Every second you are not at the bench is costing you money and potentially loosing you customers.

I guess I've got to dig into the licensing part or my county.. It's just going to be a little different as I plan to be a mobile small engine repair business and keep customers away from my house so the neighbors don't complain. My step van coming and going they really can't say anything about. Working in the back of my shop where they can't hear chainsaws and weed eaters running isn't too big a deal. It's a semi-residential neighborhood and I have a 1/2 acre lot with a 14'x60' shop on the back side.. I think my neighbor behind me is running an auto body shop out of his garage. I hear tow trucks bringing cars in and a lot of air tools sanding and grinding all the time. Nobody seems to complain about him.

I've got one neighbor that seems to always be taking a nap and complains about my dogs barking all the time. I don't know how she hears them as they're never in the front yard when we're not home but, then again, some folks just need to whine about things. Maybe if she worked a job and was away from home, it wouldn't be a problem.

Basically, I' out and about picking up non-runners, fixing them onsite if possible but, other wise I'm bringing them home to my shop. Getting parts locally isn't a problem but, I'd definitely like to go the cheaper route and get them from a decent vendor. If they can deliver UPS or USPS, that's fine as well.

Thanks for the help.

B

bertsmobile1

I guess I've got to dig into the licensing part or my county.. It's just going to be a little different as I plan to be a mobile small engine repair business and keep customers away from my house so the neighbors don't complain. My step van coming and going they really can't say anything about. Working in the back of my shop where they can't hear chainsaws and weed eaters running isn't too big a deal. It's a semi-residential neighborhood and I have a 1/2 acre lot with a 14'x60' shop on the back side.. I think my neighbor behind me is running an auto body shop out of his garage. I hear tow trucks bringing cars in and a lot of air tools sanding and grinding all the time. Nobody seems to complain about him.

I've got one neighbor that seems to always be taking a nap and complains about my dogs barking all the time. I don't know how she hears them as they're never in the front yard when we're not home but, then again, some folks just need to whine about things. Maybe if she worked a job and was away from home, it wouldn't be a problem.

Basically, I' out and about picking up non-runners, fixing them onsite if possible but, other wise I'm bringing them home to my shop. Getting parts locally isn't a problem but, I'd definitely like to go the cheaper route and get them from a decent vendor. If they can deliver UPS or USPS, that's fine as well.

Thanks for the help.

Ever wonder why the name is Berts Mobile ?

I do exactly the same the same as you are doing.
As for your neighbour, mow her front lawn for her that usually works.

Next time you walk ito a parts shop note the brand names on the aftermarket parts the do a search on them, find their email address and ask to open an account,
Most of the bigger aftermarket suppliers like Jack Small Engines, Barnetts, K & C , Small Engine Warehouse, Small engine Suppliers will all open a trade account so you get your parts - 10 to 25% off retail.
Your local brand name shops will usually open a trade account with you and again expect some where from 10% to 25 % discount.
Wholesalers will be the best way to go as they will be - 50% but you must be a registered business and have the right tax numbers for them to accomodate you.
I buy eniough volume from the USA now to get wholesale prices from a few of my suppliers but they can not open a trade account for me as I am not a business registered in the USA.
Get some business cards printed and leave them with the parts counter staff every where you buy parts so you get remembered.
The local mower shop actually sends me customers with big labour ticket jobs that would be too expensive at his rate ( $ 90/hr) but affordable at my rate ( $ 60.00 hr ).
Get a stamp made with all your business details printed on it and present the parts staff with a written order, that is oft enough for them to give you trade pricing.
Most parts wholesalers sell on a pro rata basis, the more the shop buys the better price they get so they are happy to give you 20% off your $ 300 order if it helps them qualify for an extra 1% discount on their $ 20,000 order.
Let the pats counter staff know what you are doing and ask them when would be the most convienant time for you to come in with your orders, a little mutual back scratching works wonders and they can be a lot more helpful if you are the only person at the counter.
There are also a lot of shop staff / owners on this forum so do an introduction and mention you are looking for a source of parts for your business.
Put this introduction on every individual forum. Again a shop owner who is doing it hard at the moment might be more than happy to post you parts from 6 states away at a reasonable price.

bt3

bt3

I've honestly purchased from both through the years.

My Snapper Commercial with WR engine I bought through a Dealer. Paid top dollar you can be sure. Near $700 just for the mower in 1987. That same year, I bought a Montgomery Ward Lawn Tractor from, you guessed it, Montgomery Ward. I had quite a few issues with the Wards tractor but luckily bought the 4 year service package and a local dealer did the service for it. Once that service contract wore out I was on my own and had to fix issues myself. Not easy but I did it. The Snapper has not given me one bit of problem since I purchased it and I still use it today.

I purchased my Homelite trimmer and Chainsaw from a Big Box. I took both to a dealer to have them serviced.

My Stihl saws I of course purchase from a dealer. No choice there. If I was a Husky user, I'd probably still buy from a dealer as I always go to the dealer for service and chain sharpening anyway. Too much hassle to sharpen my own chains. MY opinion. I know many of you guys sharpen your own chains. That's fine. It's just not a skill set I have or want to master.

I suppose if I can do all my own repairs, and if I could get the IDENTICAL product from either source, I'd probably shop for price. If the price was within reasonable range on both sources, I'd buy from a Dealer, no question. I want to keep mom and pop shops in business. But if it were a sizable price difference, I'd let the Dealer know, and see if he could get within "range" of the big box price. I don't expect him to match it or beat it, but coming within 10 or 20 percent would be nice.

Convenience is a big key. Let's say that there is a dealer 100 miles away, and a big box 10 miles away. Many would, especially if gas goes back to near 4 bucks a gallon, opt for the convenient close retail source. Another issue is ONLINE PURCHASING. Amazon and other big box online outlets will often give you a price you just can't resist. And if you are Prime Member at Amazon, you may get 2 day express shipping for free on your purchase. I've priced some Husqvarna saws and some name brand mowers on Amazon and the prices are truly very competitive. My guess is many will just buy online and hope for the best.

When convenient enough, and when the price is reasonably within range of other sources, I'll buy from a Dealer first and foremost. If I have to go Big Box or Online, I'll do it. But I always keep the Dealer in mind. He'll probably get my service business if nothing else.

West

West

New guy here, just bought a new Hustler 54 Fastrak 2013 close out deal still has the 4 year warranty I have been going to dealers they have more choices on models and that all important pricing. Big box stores are great for hardware items but for the major purchases and top line equipment its Dealer .

Carscw

Carscw

New guy here, just bought a new Hustler 54 Fastrak 2013 close out deal still has the 4 year warranty I have been going to dealers they have more choices on models and that all important pricing. Big box stores are great for hardware items but for the major purchases and top line equipment its Dealer .

Good choice getting the fastrak.

I love mine. Good on hills and tall grass.
Deck does not clog when cutting wet grass.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

B

bertsmobile1

And it has a mate that I use on a lot of my customers.
It is now on a placard in the workshop that few people see as I am mobile.

" He who buys cheap pays thrice "

I just used it this morning to a customer who bought a STIGA Estate heavily discounted and choked on an $ 850 repair bill on a 2014 mower with 65 hours on it.
When he complianed I also brought to his notice that his was record fast repair as I have one in the shop for 18 months waiting for parts to come from Italy and another waiting 3 months for parts to come from the UK

B

bertsmobile1

Oh and it is Penny wise & Pound foolish ( a little bit of literation )
The US version should be Dime wise & Dollar foolish.

J

JBrzoz00

I'll go to a dealer when I can. The problem is that the dealers are usually closed on weekends when I generally buy parts or when I would buy a new piece of equipment. I did find one that is open till 2pm on Sat though and plan on buying a new mower from them. I will drive the extra 10 minutes and pay a little bit more for a machine from a dealer. I'm in small business so I try to support small business as much as I can.

B

Brian902

That's easy.

Box Store has contract with local dealers to service their sales.

At the local dealer you are a second class customer.

You come second to all his other customers.

Good Luck.

S

SeniorCitizen

That's easy.

Box Store has contract with local dealers to service their sales.

At the local dealer you are a second class customer.

You come second to all his other customers.

Good Luck.

And my wife tells me if one is female being talked down to gets about 10 times worse at a dealer and never at a box store.

She is hoping to live long enough to see new autos being sold at Box stores.

ztrjim

ztrjim

Most would say a dealer would be a better option. Below is a good read....
Find a Reliable Dealer and Service Center

A Zero Turn Mower is a significant long-term investment for both homeowners and professional landscapers. Choosing a qualified dealer and service center can ensure you get the most mileage out of your mower. With regular maintenance from skilled mechanics zero turn mowers can last for well into the 15-20 plus year range. One of the most important things to consider before buying any kind of equipment is what kind of service you will get from the dealer. Do I feel comfortable dealing with the dealer? Will the dealer be able to service my mower when needed? Do they stock the parts I need so I don't have to wait for shipping?

Most of the brands available are relatively equal in price, quality and features. But, there could be fairly large differences in the dealers service after the sale. Find a dealer that is as committed to long term service and relationships with it's customers as it is with making the initial sale. Finding a reliable dealer and/or service center is not as straightforward as you may think. Sure when you are at the dealer as a potential customer they will promise you stellar service. But, can they deliver? Follow the guidelines below to help distinguish the big talkers vs the ones who deliver.

Zero Turn Mower Buyers Guide | What to consider before buying | Top Rated Zero Turn Mower Reviews

S

SeniorCitizen

QUOTE:A Zero Turn Mower is a significant long-term investment for both homeowners and professional landscapers. Choosing a qualified dealer and service center can ensure you get the most mileage out of your mower. With regular maintenance from skilled mechanics zero turn mowers can last for well into the 15-20 plus year range. One of the most important things to consider before buying any kind of equipment is what kind of service you will get from the dealer. Do I feel comfortable dealing with the dealer? Will the dealer be able to service my mower when needed? Do they stock the parts I need so I don't have to wait for shipping?

Please tell us the " how to " determine this before laying down thousands at purchase time.

Ric

Ric

QUOTE:A Zero Turn Mower is a significant long-term investment for both homeowners and professional landscapers. Choosing a qualified dealer and service center can ensure you get the most mileage out of your mower. With regular maintenance from skilled mechanics zero turn mowers can last for well into the 15-20 plus year range. One of the most important things to consider before buying any kind of equipment is what kind of service you will get from the dealer. Do I feel comfortable dealing with the dealer? Will the dealer be able to service my mower when needed? Do they stock the parts I need so I don't have to wait for shipping?

Please tell us the " how to " determine this before laying down thousands at purchase time.

When it comes to determining everything thing the articles says about a dealer, that's crazy. You can't and shouldn't expect to get a mower serviced without a wait period from any dealer. I think regular maintenance of the mower should be the responsibility of the homeowner not the dealer. Yeah it's good to find a dealer you're comfortable with but lets get real, no dealer is going to stock ever part for your mower or for every make of mower or piece of equipment they sell so there's going to be a wait period if you have any type of major repair and besides that as a homeowner you'll be last on the list to be taken care of if the dealer is selling commercial stuff because the professional landscapers will take priority. These articles you read online are a good source of information but I think one has to also deal with the reality of the situation.

Carscw

Carscw

I try not to deal with any big dealers.
I like the small shops.
I have a 2006 toro Z480 hard to find blades for it.
Called the big toro dealer they said they would call me back. Waited 2 hours called them. Again will call me back. 4 hours I called them. Again will call me back. That was over a month ago.
Still waiting.
Sent a email to toro. They sent me 2 free sets of blades.

If you only buy one mower it does not matter where you buy it. The dealer will still service it.