Export thread

Beware of STIHL Imposters and Fake Outdoor Power Equipment

M

Muhammad

These “vendors” sell counterfeit STIHL products that may look and feel genuine, but share almost none of the quality and safety features found on our equipment.

Read this article on LawnWorld

gfp55

gfp55

These ç*ºendors sell counterfeit STIHL products that may look and feel genuine, but share almost none of the quality and safety features found on our equipment.

Read this article on LawnWorld
I read this article and think back some years when Monroe shocks, Timken bearings and others had to deal with counterfeit products coming out of Japan in the 80s. They put that junk out there and people fell for it and think they are the real deal and the legitimate companies suffer the fall out and the Japanese government did nothing about it. The idea is to make the competition weak in the public's eye then hit them with government subsidized product and undercut the competition all for market share. Americans bought it up in droves and they got market share and it worked very good for the Japanese auto companies. The article didn't say which country these counterfeit junk is coming from, but I have a good idea which one is involved. But thats just me.

gfp55

gfp55

I wonder if they know which country these imposters are coming from?

Nwatson99

Nwatson99

I wonder if they know which country these imposters are coming from?

I bet it is china were the majority of all other knock-offs are coming from.

S

SeniorCitizen

Cost differential is a major contributor of the problem. If stihl would lower their price imposters wouldn't be such a big problem.

gfp55

gfp55

Cost differential is a major contributor of the problem. If stihl would lower their price imposters wouldn't be such a big problem.
Now that is what they want you to believe and say. There are lots of other saws at lower prices so cost does not hold water with me. Now if what you said is true then why do they break down so fast (the imposters).

Z

Zeroturner

Presumably, the way to avoid counterfeit Stihl products is to buy from an authorized dealer.

Which leads me to ask: How are the counterfeit products getting on the market, by way of internet sales or ...?

gfp55

gfp55

Presumably, the way to avoid counterfeit Stihl products is to buy from an authorized dealer.

Which leads me to ask: How are the counterfeit products getting on the market, by way of internet sales or ...?
I can't say how they are getting on the market in this case, but in the 80s the Japanese packaged theirs just like the real ones and it went on for about 2-3 years before the companies started finding counterfeit parts in their warranty returns, by then the customers have in their mines that the american companies are making junk parts. Thats where this globalization is sometimes good and sometimes bad, it all depends on which side your on. Now it will cost Stihl millions to try to stop it and the countries involved, its a learning thing for them, so they really gain from it in $$$$$$$$$ and experience in manufacture. This is history repeating itself, just with another country doing it. Look at the counterfeit CDs that flooded the market some years ago, same thing. Who paid the price for that?

S

SeniorCitizen

Now that is what they want you to believe and say. There are lots of other saws at lower prices so cost does not hold water with me. Now if what you said is true then why do they break down so fast (the imposters).
I believe you missed the point so I'll say it a different way.

If an online stihl saw was priced for xxx.xx $ and the dealer had the same saw for the same xxx.xx $ I believe most buyers would choose the dealer.

Anyone that wouldn't is an idiot and deserves what he might get.

gfp55

gfp55

I believe you missed the point so I'll say it a different way.

If an online stihl saw was priced for xxx.xx $ and the dealer had the same saw for the same xxx.xx $ I believe most buyers would choose the dealer.

Anyone that wouldn't is an idiot and deserves what he might get.
Point taken. But the dealer has more overhead so to stay in business, The dealer has to charge more.

S

SeniorCitizen

Point taken. But the dealer has more overhead so to stay in business, The dealer has to charge more.

So until the import tax and free trade agreement is re assessed or sithl subsidizes their dealers or wages and overhead and benefits in our country are reduced to compete with the foreign market we're pretty much stuck where we are with imposter merchandise.

gfp55

gfp55

So until the import tax and free trade agreement is re assessed or sithl subsidizes their dealers or wages and overhead and benefits in our country are reduced to compete with the foreign market we're pretty much stuck where we are with imposter merchandise.
YES in a nutshell.

DJlawnboy

Stihl is a German company. So it is the foreign market. I'm just happy they employ so many Americans here. Imposter merchandise will always be around no matter what. Stihl can only make things so cheap before it becomes junk. The rip off can get as junky as need be and will always be cheaper.

Fish

Fish

Yeah, in the last few years, E-bay was swamped with the cheap MS290 parts, which really took a toll on my parts sales. I always
stated on all of my auctions that my parts were from genuine Stihl saws, new, right out of the box, not cheap Chinese junk.

Z

Zeroturner

My dealer is an honest guy.

I'd bought from him.

I could've bought online and saved 500 bucks, but decided buying from a dealer to be the right choice.

Why?

Not for him, but ultimately for me...

Fish

Fish

What could you buy online? From who? E-bay?

Z

Zeroturner

Fish,

Sorry, my post was clear as mud!

I bought my Toro MX5060 from a dealer, though I could've bought it online from a couple of legitimate online stores. I've never bought anything on E-Bay and never will.

I need my dealer to stay in business so I helped him to stay in business by buying from him.

I'm not willing to risk big bucks (for me anyway) by buying on line.

The dealer made sure the set up was done correctly, delivered it personally to my house and demonstrated it's use.

That right there worth quite a bit...

W

wingstrut

Ditto, Zeroturner That is the way I have always done it, purchase from your local dealer, keep him in business, he will support you.
When I purchase something I want it to do the job many times not just two or three, so I look for the best product that I can find, and I don't care what some wahoo says, you will save time and money in the long run if you buy quality not cheap.
This country has turned into internet buying which is destroying our home towns, businesses are closing at an alarming rate, and our government is at fault.
Buy local and support our country not destroy it...........sorry, I get carried away.............Ron

bt3

bt3

I agree.

I bought my Farm Boss about 7 years ago from a reputable dealer. Actually, I bought a lesser model, got it home and thought, "That blade is too short. I want the Farm Boss." The Dealer took it back no issues, I paid the difference in upgrade and the Farm Boss came home with me.... permanently. The property I use it at is fairly heavily wooded, especially in the back yard. I originally thought I had bought too much saw, but if fall two or three 25 inch diameter trees and have to cut them up and stack them, it's definitely not too much saw.

I like my Stihl dealer, whom happens also to be my Snapper Dealer. He is fair, competent, and treats customers right. If he did LawnBoy I'd be set! :)