Export thread

Best Trimmer Line?

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I own my landscaping business, and I have a variety of string trimmers, (Stihl, Echo, Troy-Bilt, etc.), and I wonder, is there a good brand of trimmer line? What brands last longer, what is best, what to avoid. Any help would be appreciated because I just want to run one brand of trimmer line.

exotion

exotion

I'm a big fan of echo crossfire

S

SeniorCitizen

I'm partial to this square string for a couple of reasons. It seems to cut well and it was free. It came in a box of auction stuff my brother in-law bought but he couldn't use it.

Attachments

Ric

Ric

I own my landscaping business, and I have a variety of string trimmers, (Stihl, Echo, Troy-Bilt, etc.), and I wonder, is there a good brand of trimmer line? What brands last longer, what is best, what to avoid. Any help would be appreciated because I just want to run one brand of trimmer line.

There's a variety of trimmer line out there also and everyone will have a favorite line. Some will like Echo, others Stihl, others Gator line and so on with a dozen different brands. Some like .95 others run nothing but .105 Like everything else when it comes to lawn and landscape you get what you pay for. I personally prefer the Stihl X line, it seems to do or cut everything I've come into contact with and it seems to last longer than anything I've used prior.

Carscw

Carscw

I like the husqvarna line. But have not bought line in over a year. I bet I have a mile of line I have found at homes. Most never been opened.

image-2404557320.jpg

exotion

exotion

A big spool of crossfire lasts a season and a half for me. will cut anything reasonible. And some not reasonable if your willing to sacrifice a few feet.

I like it because I can buy it at home depot 5 blocks from my house, It lasts forever, cuts nicely. Thing I don't like is the little Orange pieces left in the lawn

Bob E

Bob E

The thinner line cuts cleaner and easier, but also wears out faster. The thicker stuff doesn't cut quite as good, requires more power from the engine, but lasts longer.

Ric

Ric

A big spool of crossfire lasts a season and a half for me. will cut anything reasonible. And some not reasonable if your willing to sacrifice a few feet.

I like it because I can buy it at home depot 5 blocks from my house, It lasts forever, cuts nicely. Thing I don't like is the little Orange pieces left in the lawn

Yeah the 5lb spool is the way to buy line. Saves a lot of money and it will last me a season for both trimmers.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Thanks for all the replies. I run a variety of .95 inch line, (Genuine Factory Parts, Stihl X Line, etc), but I think I will look into the Echo Crossfire line. I have never used an Echo trimmer line, but I'm willing to test it. I think I'll just run Echo Crossfire and X-Line in all my trimmers.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

I'm a big fan of echo crossfire

I like that, too. :thumbsup:

X-man

X-man

I use MaxiEdge commercial. I buy it at Tractor Supply Company. A big spool will last me through the year.

jekjr

jekjr

I use MaxiEdge commercial. I buy it at Tractor Supply Company. A big spool will last me through the year.

I have been using the same thing. My local TSC only has .095 we run .105.

I am going to try the Echo line in .105. Hope they have it in this week. We are getting low.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I have been using the same thing. My local TSC only has .095 we run .105.

I am going to try the Echo line in .105. Hope they have it in this week. We are getting low.

Usually I run .095 inch line in all my trimmers but if none is in stock I'll just buy .105. Both lines work pretty good.

P

possum

That MTD Arnold stuff is about as good as any and better than most around here.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

That MTD Arnold stuff is about as good as any and better than most around here.

I have used that in my Troy-Bilt and it works pretty good. Has a clean cut too.

Fish

Fish

Try the Oregon Magnum Gatorline with the Kevlar strand in the center. Or their newer Platinum twist, you all will love them.....

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Try the Oregon Magnum Gatorline with the Kevlar strand in the center. Or their newer Platinum twist, you all will love them.....

Is it available in .095 or .105 inch? If so I will have to try this.

exotion

exotion

Is it available in .095 or .105 inch? If so I will have to try this.

Sounds like it would be to strong. There is a reason the string is supposed to break............

Fish

Fish

Too strong??

Fish

Fish

Yeah, I got a little close to my tractor plow. and it did whack off several hunks of steel!!!!!!

X-man

X-man

I run .080 line. Thickest my trimmer will take :(

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I run .080 line. Thickest my trimmer will take :(

I only have one trimmer that runs on .080 inch line, all my others run on .095 inch line.

Wildcat

Wildcat

I use either .95 Echo Crossfire or .95 Shakespeare Ugly Line (Shop Shakespeare Trimmer Line .095 UGLY Line 3 lb. Spool at Lowes.com).

I've noticed that the Crossfire is a bit softer than the Ugly Line but it cuts grass better. The only thing I don't like about Crossfire and it has been mentioned, it leaves little orange pieces when you feed more line.

I've also used a brand called Universal Trimmer Line from Wallyworld and it worked very well.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I use either .95 Echo Crossfire or .95 Shakespeare Ugly Line (Shop Shakespeare Trimmer Line .095 UGLY Line 3 lb. Spool at Lowes.com).

I've noticed that the Crossfire is a bit softer than the Ugly Line but it cuts grass better. The only thing I don't like about Crossfire and it has been mentioned, it leaves little orange pieces when you feed more line.

I've also used a brand called Universal Trimmer Line from Wallyworld and it worked very well.

I've used the Genuine Factory Parts .095 inch line from Lowe's and the thing I don't like about it is the same thing people are saying about Echo Crossfire-- leaves orange pieces when you feed more line.

I have never used Skakespeare trimmer line. Does it have a clean cut?

Link to GFP line: Shop Troy-Bilt 80-ft Spool 0.095-in Trimmer Line at Lowes.com

Wildcat

Wildcat

I've used the Genuine Factory Parts .095 inch line from Lowe's and the thing I don't like about it is the same thing people are saying about Echo Crossfire-- leaves orange pieces when you feed more line.

I have never used Skakespeare trimmer line. Does it have a clean cut?

Link to GFP line: Shop Troy-Bilt 80-ft Spool 0.095-in Trimmer Line at Lowes.com

Its definitely a heavier string. We have two trimmers each setup with different line. Reason being is we use the Crossfire around the house and the Ugly Line around fences and on driveways that have grass growing out of them. It seems that the Ugly Line last longer than the Crossfire regardless of use though. If I had to suggest one, I think it would be the Ugly Line. The cut may not be as great as the Crossfire but I think durability out weights that.

As for your GFP line, never heard of it. If I read the description right, its pre-cut 20' pieces, about the only thing that sounds good about it.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Its definitely a heavier string. We have two trimmers each setup with different line. Reason being is we use the Crossfire around the house and the Ugly Line around fences and on driveways that have grass growing out of them. It seems that the Ugly Line last longer than the Crossfire regardless of use though. If I had to suggest one, I think it would be the Ugly Line. The cut may not be as great as the Crossfire but I think durability out weights that.

Yeah a durable line is good around fences, foundations, rock walls, mailboxes, etc. A softer line wouldn't hold up as well.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Lesco .095 square string. 5lb spool for 39.99 at JD landscapes. We've tried numerous different strings with no real stand out. We go thru about
Two or three 5lb spools so we buy whatever. Been buying the Stihl green stuff just cause i frequent that shop.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Lesco .095 square string. 5lb spool for 39.99 at JD landscapes. We've tried numerous different strings with no real stand out. We go thru about
Two or three 5lb spools so we buy whatever. Been buying the Stihl green stuff just cause i frequent that shop.

I've never heard of JD Landscapes. Is this an online store, or is it a regional thing?

Parkmower

Parkmower

I've never heard of JD Landscapes. Is this an online store, or is it a regional thing?

John Deere landscapes bought out lesco. So all lesco stores are now called John Deere landscapes. We mainly buy our pesticides and fertilizers from them.
A lot of the products still say lesco, not sure if that will be fazed out or not

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

John Deere landscapes bought out lesco. So all lesco stores are now called John Deere landscapes. We mainly buy our pesticides and fertilizers from them.
A lot of the products still say lesco, not sure if that will be fazed out or not

I really don't have any type of JD equipment, I don't even go to their stores. I think they're overpriced, even though they are dependable.

Parkmower

Parkmower

I really don't have any type of JD equipment, I don't even go to their stores. I think they're overpriced, even though they are dependable.

It's not an equipment shop it's a turf care store with pesticide, fertilizers, and irrigation systems. There is one JD stander that's been sittin on the floor for two years, but it's by the local dealer.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

It's not an equipment shop it's a turf care store with pesticide, fertilizers, and irrigation systems. There is one JD stander that's been sittin on the floor for two years, but it's by the local dealer.

Oh ok. I don't have any stores around here that just specialize in turf care. Wish I had one out my way, I'd be going there frequently.

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

Just bought some Echo Crossfire, Just restrung my Stihl, haven't used it yet. Lets see if it works.....

Wildcat

Wildcat

Just bought some Echo Crossfire, Just restrung my Stihl, haven't used it yet. Lets see if it works.....

Remember not to get to aggressive around fences. That is the only weakness Crossfire has. Its soft but does it cut nice.

Fish

Fish

Remember not to get to aggressive around fences. That is the only weakness Crossfire has. Its soft but does it cut nice.

Well that is one chitty endorsement!!!!!

Carscw

Carscw

I run echo heads on all my trimmers. They come full with the crossfire line.

Me and my wife do not like it.
It does not flex good and does not last at all on chain link fence. Heck it does not even hold up good just trimming grass in the middle of the yard.

exotion

exotion

I run echo heads on all my trimmers. They come full with the crossfire line.

Me and my wife do not like it.
It does not flex good and does not last at all on chain link fence. Heck it does not even hold up good just trimming grass in the middle of the yard.

Lasts forever for me about a spool per week

Carscw

Carscw

Lasts forever for me about a spool per week

2 days tops

About 35 yards.

Chevychopper

Chevychopper

I usually run the .095 echo line, in my husgavarna.

Yeah, I got a little close to my tractor plow. and it did whack off several hunks of steel!!!!!!

^^^Now that's funny right there!

Fish

Fish

well it is a shame... Once you try the good stuff, that would end the/this thread quick!!

TNTurf

TNTurf

I just bought a lb of round Oregon Magnum Gatorline 095. It seems to be good stuff but I think it is dry and needs soaked in water. I have a Honda 25cc 4-cycle trimmer and the stock Honda string it came with seemed to last pretty good too. Not sure what it was though

LazerZLandscaping

LazerZLandscaping

I ordered some Gatorline today and hopefully it will work.

I like Crossfire, but too soft around those fences and other objects. Otherwise a good line.

Been using Stihl a lot too.

L

LoCo86

I ordered some Gatorline today and hopefully it will work. I like Crossfire, but too soft around those fences and other objects. Otherwise a good line. Been using Stihl a lot too.

I just started using the gator line. It's pretty good stuff. Seems like the only time I have to feed it out is when working around concrete or asphalt.

B

bls36

The red max .95 is really good it last longer then the echo crossfire.

S

SYW

Stihl .95 from a locally owned independent dealer.

T

trimmerline

You can try this trimmer line manufacturer from China,(Website: Trimmer line | Weed trimmer line | Grass trimmer line | China manufacturer ) All kinds of trimmer lines, nice cut, durable lifetime, good quality and price.

P

possum

How is that Ford mower running? You a line salesman?

Ric

Ric

I ordered some Gatorline today and hopefully it will work.

I like Crossfire, but too soft around those fences and other objects. Otherwise a good line.

Been using Stihl a lot too.

I think you'll be happy with the Gatorline. It's a little more expensive than the rest that has been mentioned but it's worth the money if your in the business. I've run the majority of the stuff mentioned and I settled on the Stihl X line pretty much but carry a spool of the Gator 105 and use it on the FS 110 and it will do everything you'll every need done including fences.
I think the Question I'd ask when buying trimmer line is what trimmer are you buying it for or running it on?

PIJoe

PIJoe

Since the thread was revived by the Ford mower driving line salesman from China, I'll chip in anyhow.

I ran a lot of Echo Crossfire line, but I agree that it was too soft, especially around fencing, concrete, and brick. I am using Husqvarna Titanium Force line now after trying some on another machine. I like it, lasts a lot longer for me than the Crossfire did. I paid ~$40 for a spool at the local small guy.

When my spool of Titanium Force is gone, I am going to move to the Co-Extruded dual polymer XP Force Husky string- my neighbor has some, and it lasts longer still. Great line.

L

lawnmowerreviews

I've never heard of JD Landscapes.

Ric

Ric

I've never heard of JD Landscapes.

aboutus.gif

John Deere Landscapes is the nation's largest supplier of wholesale irrigation, outdoor lighting, nursery, landscape supplies, fertilizers, turf protection products, grass seed, turf care equipment, and golf course accessories for green industry professionals in the United States and Canada. Through the Company's vision of maximizing the success of all stakeholders, we are dedicated to becoming the distributor of choice for landscape, irrigation, and turf care professionals nationwide.
In addition to a vast array of product lines, John Deere Landscapes also has a team unsurpassed in knowledge and expertise. We can meet almost any need and strive everyday to exceed our customers' expectations. With the highest level of efficiency, we can even direct ship or deliver your products right to the job site.
John Deere Landscapes also offers additional related services that support your core business through the Partners Program and Business Solutions. Take advantage of superior pricing, earn points on every purchase, and save on business expenses such as your mobile phones and services, office supplies, payroll services, and much more.
With an extensive line of irrigation, turf and landscape supplies, the Partners Program, Business Solutions, and value-added services that John Deere Landscapes offers, we can provide you with what you need to operate your landscape business professionally and profitably.

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/

Ric

Ric

Since the thread was revived by the Ford mower driving line salesman from China, I'll chip in anyhow.

I ran a lot of Echo Crossfire line, but I agree that it was too soft, especially around fencing, concrete, and brick. I am using Husqvarna Titanium Force line now after trying some on another machine. I like it, lasts a lot longer for me than the Crossfire did. I paid ~$40 for a spool at the local small guy.

When my spool of Titanium Force is gone, I am going to move to the Co-Extruded dual polymer XP Force Husky string- my neighbor has some, and it lasts longer still. Great line.

How big a spool for $40?