Export thread

Best Riding Mower for 2k or under?

S

Scfurse77

I don’t have a huge yard (about 1/2 acre) and it’s fairly flat. I’m looking for opinions on the best riding mower under $2,000. I will be getting a bagger and not mulching.

Thanks

Steve

B

bertsmobile1

Pick whatever colour that turns you on and save up for another one in 5 years if $ 2000 is the limit of your available finances.
Top line SP walk behinds cost near that much.
Not trying to be insulting but have a think about it.
he cost of moving the mower from the factory to the store will be close to $ 200 ( if not more )
The dealer needs to make around 1/3 to 1/4 the purchase price as profit
so that makes the mower around $1200 at the factory gate.
The factory needs to be making a profit close to 50% to cover the cost of tooling, model developement , warranty , interest on the loans because they have paid wages all year before you will buy the mower.
So the cost of a $ 2000 mower can be not much more than $ 500.
What sort of engine & transmission do you think you will get for $ 500 ?

Now $ 2000 might seem like a lot of money to you but in reality it is about 2 to 4 weeks wages.

Some of the ride ons I am still using that date from the 60's & 70's cos better than 6 months wages which is why they are still working and over their working life will end up costing less than a cup of coffee a week.

tom3

tom3

I'd look for a Briggs engine with an iron sleeved cylinder, a manual (non-hydro) transmission. About anything else would be common on all machines in that price range. Routine maintenance and care would make the mower last a while and repairs for the DIYer won't break the bank.

S

Scfurse77

I'd look for a Briggs engine with an iron sleeved cylinder, a manual (non-hydro) transmission. About anything else would be common on all machines in that price range. Routine maintenance and care would make the mower last a while and repairs for the DIYer won't break the bank.

Thanks for the reply, Any idea of what brands/models I should be looking at that have these features? I don't mind spending maybe another $500 or so. But that would be my max budget.

gotomow

gotomow

Thanks for the reply, Any idea of what brands/models I should be looking at that have these features? I don't mind spending maybe another $500 or so. But that would be my max budget.

Then take a look at the John Deere S240

S

SeniorCitizen

For that price range and a bagger you may be looking at a late model per-owned Snapper rear engine rider. I had one at one time and it just didn't fit my rough terrain mowing needs, but with the hi-lift wings on the blade that's one of the best bagging mowers available, that is if you follow directions an install the bag the way the manual recommends.:laughing:

gotomow

gotomow

For that price range and a bagger you may be looking at a late model per-owned Snapper rear engine rider. I had one at one time and it just didn't fit my rough terrain mowing needs, but with the hi-lift wings on the blade that's one of the best bagging mowers available, that is if you follow directions an install the bag the way the manual recommends.:laughing:

Not a bad idea. They run about 2K and are very cool. If you have a Snapper dealer around go check em out.

S

Scfurse77

Thank you for the tip.... Are these the ones you are talking about? https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...rs/classic-rear-engine-riding-lawn-mower.html

S

SeniorCitizen

Thank you for the tip.... Are these the ones you are talking about? https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/pr...rs/classic-rear-engine-riding-lawn-mower.html

Yes Sir, those are what I'm talking about. If you look for a pre-owned you may find differences in year models but the basics are still the same as best I know.

S

Scfurse77

Then take a look at the John Deere S240

This would probably be my first choice after researching as much I have. But the more I research the more confused I get. :) The problem with the S240 is that with a bagger and tax i'd be about $3200. :thumbdown:

D

deminin

This would probably be my first choice after researching as much I have. But the more I research the more confused I get. :) The problem with the S240 is that with a bagger and tax i'd be about $3200. :thumbdown:

If you have a Lowe's nearby, take a look at their Husqvarna riders. You can probably get a nice rider, With a bagger, and stay within your budget....and if you can wait until Sept., you can probably save $200. I have a Husqvarna Yth24V48, and mow well over 2 acres with good results.

S

Scfurse77

If you have a Lowe's nearby, take a look at their Husqvarna riders. You can probably get a nice rider, With a bagger, and stay within your budget....and if you can wait until Sept., you can probably save $200. I have a Husqvarna Yth24V48, and mow well over 2 acres with good results.

Yes, Thank you very much. We have an actual Husqvarna dealer near me as well. This is the one I was thinking of getting. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yth20v42/960430299/ Or for $100 more you can get this one. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yth20k42/960430274/ Not really sure why the Kohler is $100 more than the Briggs. Any thoughts?

D

deminin

Yes, Thank you very much. We have an actual Husqvarna dealer near me as well. This is the one I was thinking of getting. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yth20v42/960430299/ Or for $100 more you can get this one. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/yth20k42/960430274/ Not really sure why the Kohler is $100 more than the Briggs. Any thoughts?

I really don't see any major difference between a B&S or Kohler engine....both will probably perform equally well so long as they are properly maintained. I think you are on the right track looking at the Husq mowers....no need to pay 100's of dollars extra for "green paint". I have neighbors with JD and Cub Cadet riders, and they often complain about some of the problems they have....I, on the other hand, have had little more than a leaking tire (fixed with Slime). and a broken belt...which I quickly traced back to a loose idler pulley on the deck...fixed with a $2 bolt and locknut. I follow the normal oil and filter changes, grease the spindles and steering frequently, and give it a decent cleaning after each use...and keep it in my workshop when not in use. If I'm mowing on a dry/dusty day, I clean the pre-filter on the air filter when done. I've had it for nearly 4 years, and so far, I am quite pleased.

S

Scfurse77

I really don't see any major difference between a B&S or Kohler engine....both will probably perform equally well so long as they are properly maintained. I think you are on the right track looking at the Husq mowers....no need to pay 100's of dollars extra for "green paint". I have neighbors with JD and Cub Cadet riders, and they often complain about some of the problems they have....I, on the other hand, have had little more than a leaking tire (fixed with Slime). and a broken belt...which I quickly traced back to a loose idler pulley on the deck...fixed with a $2 bolt and locknut. I follow the normal oil and filter changes, grease the spindles and steering frequently, and give it a decent cleaning after each use...and keep it in my workshop when not in use. If I'm mowing on a dry/dusty day, I clean the pre-filter on the air filter when done. I've had it for nearly 4 years, and so far, I am quite pleased.

This is awesome info thank you!

M

MowLife

I’d stay away from those new snappers....they just don’t make them the way they used to. The disc drive is crap in my opinion.

gotomow

gotomow

My neighbor bought a 2 year old Huskee, (Tractor Supply) 38" deck riding lawn mower 14 years ago. He paid $800 to a guy down the road from us who was moving. Over the years he has just replaced the battery and belt. Sure it's 12-13hp and 5 speed gear drive but for his 1/2 acre the mower has preformed like a champ.

gotomow

gotomow

If your dealer has a good reputation then get it there. For a 1/2 acre both should last a long time.

S

Scfurse77

Can anyone tell me if this is a good buy? Problem is this model didn't have an hour meter on it. I was drawn to the ad because I own an Ariens Razor Push mower and that thing has been perfect for the last 6 years.

Thanks here's the ad. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56566970

D

deminin

Can anyone tell me if this is a good buy? Problem is this model didn't have an hour meter on it. I was drawn to the ad because I own an Ariens Razor Push mower and that thing has been perfect for the last 6 years. Thanks here's the ad. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56566970

I haven't looked at Ariens in years, but I had a Ariens walk behind mower for several years when we lived in the city, and it did real good for just mowing a city lot. This rider looks good from the picture, but give it a good inspection and try it out before you buy...and ask why he's selling it. If all looks good, $800 would be a good buy, and you might offer him 6 cash, and settle on 700. Also, check the prices and availability on a bagger before you buy....if you still want that.

S

Scfurse77

I haven't looked at Ariens in years, but I had a Ariens walk behind mower for several years when we lived in the city, and it did real good for just mowing a city lot. This rider looks good from the picture, but give it a good inspection and try it out before you buy...and ask why he's selling it. If all looks good, $800 would be a good buy, and you might offer him 6 cash, and settle on 700. Also, check the prices and availability on a bagger before you buy....if you still want that.

Went by and checked it out. Looks as good as the pictures. Seems to run great! I offered $600 and he laughed at me haha. So we agreed at $700. I found the bagger for it on Amazon for $250. So for $950 total. That was too hard for me to pass up. Thanks for all your help guys. I'm excited to be in the Riding Mower club. Hopefully I can upgrade in the next few years.

F

florenceccollinsc

The handle to adjust the speed is located very low. The Craftsman T150 tractor is extremely uncomfortable to use since you have to constantly lean over to your left to use the handle. The speed handle is also very sensitive so it is hard to use. The turns are also wider than described in the features. It does not make an 18” turn. My assembly was complicated by missing parts.