Best mulching setup for Snapper 21" mowers

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
From my experience, this is the best recipe for mulching on a Snapper Hi-Vac deck.

1.Hi-Vac deck
2.7029149YP - mulching deck conforming cover
3.Oregon 99-121 blade

This combo leaves nothing behind. If you are a mulcher, look no further than this combo.

What do you guys run when you Hi-Vac mulch?

slomo

timc1018

Threads
Right now (2000, P216012 HiVac), I have the Ninja Blade with the bag shoot attached, but it has the plug in it. I do push over grass, so I have to actually make two passes (St Augustine) each time to get 100% cut. As stated in previous post, I am replacing the 6.0 Briggs with the Honda, going to leave everything else equal so that I can compare. Then l'll remove the bag shoot and install the mulch cover, then I'll swap the ninja blade for the 99-121 I just ordered. One change at a time.

(The Briggs has a knocking rod after 20years so I just wanted to try a Honda)

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Right now (2000, P216012 HiVac), I have the Ninja Blade with the bag shoot attached, but it has the plug in it. I do push over grass, so I have to actually make two passes (St Augustine) each time to get 100% cut. As stated in previous post, I am replacing the 6.0 Briggs with the Honda, going to leave everything else equal so that I can compare. Then l'll remove the bag shoot and install the mulch cover, then I'll swap the ninja blade for the 99-121 I just ordered. One change at a time.

Sounds good Tim.

What I found was the bagging chute and plug leave trails behind, while mulching. That deck conforming mulch cover for me, was the ticket to a totally clean yard. Talking tall grass or not here.

Also the conforming cover is half the price of the bagging chute plug. It's a win win for me.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

Tim, what's your though on the Ninja blade? I never ran one. Luckily I found a combo that is much cheaper than the Ninja blade that works. The cutting edge on the 99-121 blade is like 8 inches long. You will be impressed I think. Probably a movie prop from some slasher movie LOL.

slomo

timc1018

Threads
I really don’t have anything to compare as that’s all I’ve used on current yard for the last 16 years. I’ll do the comparisons once I get the Honda running.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I really don’t have anything to compare as that’s all I’ve used on current yard for the last 16 years. I’ll do the comparisons once I get the Honda running.
Sounds good sir. When do you think you will get her together? I've always been curious of the Ninja blade. On paper it looks to be a winner. I myself don't know how it really cuts.

slomo

timc1018

Threads
Sounds good sir. When do you think you will get her together? I've always been curious of the Ninja blade. On paper it looks to be a winner. I myself don't know how it really cuts.

slomo

Hopefully in the next two weeks, as it's a bit of a guessing game on all the parts I'll need to make it work correctly. I'll definitely keep you updated on how it cuts with the various changes, as I've got a pretty good/consistent baseline from which to compare.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
UPDATE

I normally don't mow wet or damp grass. I cut my yard yesterday. It was dewed up a little from the small rain showers we've had. It looked like slight morning dew only. Anyway, my dry grass perfect blade combo is NOT that great on wet grass. It DOES leave "some" grass tracks behind. I did see those small glistening rain drops on the top of the yard. Just wanted to share with you guys what I found out. BTW, the entire yard wasn't tracked up with clippings. Maybe just the high spots in the yard?

What might have contributed was I have super dense Tifway Bermuda. That good old putting green turf. I'm wondering if someone using this blade combo with say regular Bermuda or St. Aug, might see better results in the wet??

slomo