Export thread

Battery question!

R

Rickcin

I have a CC XT2 lawn tractor and the battery is 6 years old and i keep it tendered for the winters here in Virginia.
I’m thinking I should just replace the battery prior to this years season, or, do you get a warning prior to the battery just going completely dead? Thanks

M

mechanic mark

You have a very good battery, keep it up until CCXT2 will not start.

R

Rickcin

You have a very good battery, keep it up until CCXT2 will not start.
I do have a jump start battery pack, however how can you start the tractor when jumping it since the seat sensor will not be enabled?

C

Chris from Ontario

If the cables won't stay on the battery terminals by themselves then get someone to help you. One to hold the cables, the other to start.

R

Rickcin

If the cables won't stay on the battery terminals by themselves then get someone to help you. One to hold the cables, the other to start
I was thinking the jumper Cables may not fit with the seat down in place?

C

Chris from Ontario

Okay, I was thinking it was like mine with the battery under the hood.
Get someone to squeeze the seat switch as if you were sitting on it.

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

Do you have the push button ignition? I've been able to lay the cables down to jump start and sit on seat but yes like Chris said just place your hand on the seat to apply pressure and use the other to crank away. Once started no need for being in the seat.

B

bertsmobile1

In most cases the seat switch is not in the cranking circuit
So as long as the parking brake is set most will start
The exception to this are the mowers with a module ( hour meter that shows battery voltage, & fuel level)
OTOH you can put the - jumper on any metal part and touch the + jumper to the starter + terminal or the solenoid battery terminal which will energise the entire mower .
Just watch where you rest your hands if you do it this way .

R

Rickcin

After a closer look, it seems as though the jumper clamps will fit under the seat when down and when sitting on it if that is needed to start the tractor.

Now the question is, should I just replace the battery since it was manufactured in 2018 and just be guaranteed I’ll get another 5 plus years of problem free operation?

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

Depends on if you have a 5yr warranty on the battery you have now.? Keep your warranty alive if so.

StarTech

StarTech

Most battery warranties are prorated so toward the end they are worthless.

Personally if you got 5+ yrs out the current battery count yourself lucky as most fails 2-3 yrs after install.

R

Rickcin

And, the battery is 5 years old this month so I should probably just replace it with the same MTD battery to be assured I’ll get another 5 years out of one.

B

bertsmobile1

Battery buying is a lottery
Often you will get a premium quality battery with chap battery stickers on it because the factory did not have enough premium batteries to fill the order
OTOH you will almost never get a bad battery with a premium sticker on it unless the shop owner is doing a shonkey.
As they come off the line batteries are subjected to a plethoria of tests .
depending upon the results they get sorted into price ranges then the labels are stuck on

N

nacl9163

You've gotten a good run from the battery. You know when it will fail, and without warning: a) when you are at the farthest point in your mowing area; b) when you have only 1 more pass to finish the job; c) just as it starts to rain; d) 5 minutes after the nearest battery place closes. Save yourself some grief and just get a new battery. Ask me how I know these things......

mechanizm

mechanizm

I have a CC XT2 lawn tractor and the battery is 6 years old and i keep it tendered for the winters here in Virginia.
I’m thinking I should just replace the battery prior to this years season, or, do you get a warning prior to the battery just going completely dead? Thanks
get a "Battery Minder" desulfator / charger. It will charge and desulfate your battery making it last even longer. it can charge a battery when others can't.

mechanizm

mechanizm

You've gotten a good run from the battery. You know when it will fail, and without warning: a) when you are at the farthest point in your mowing area; b) when you have only 1 more pass to finish the job; c) just as it starts to rain; d) 5 minutes after the nearest battery place closes. Save yourself some grief and just get a new battery. Ask me how I know these things......
no, batteries don't do this. when they go bad they won't crank your engine. I never had one go bad in the middle of mowing. PLUS: lawn tractor batteries are made poorly. Buying a new one doesn't guarantee diddly squat. I bought three lawn tractor batteries and one was junk. they wouldn't take it back.

StarTech

StarTech

Now that sound like my luck everytime my equipment breaks it is always at the furtherest point from the shop.

StarTech

StarTech

no, batteries don't do this. when they go bad they won't crank your engine. I never had one go bad in the middle of mowing. PLUS: lawn tractor batteries are made poorly. Buying a new one doesn't guarantee diddly squat. I bought three lawn tractor batteries and one was junk. they wouldn't take it back.
I think he referrring when you get off the mower shutting it down to do something and trying to restart when done. Had it happen to me in my PU vehicle started it drove a 1000 ft, shut down, got what I was doing done, and then the engine would not crank because the battery crashed. Completely dead as it was an internal failure.

F

Freddie21

I am running a couple 2017 batteries. Signs of it going bad is not holding a charge, not charging fully, or a slow engine crank. Then it's time to replace. Walmart's price on their EverStart batteries is $29. I'm running a 2018 in my mower right now. At that price, it won't break your piggy bank if you don't get 5+ years.

M

mgmine

I would wait until it dies (which is what I always do). You can jump it by simply putting on the brake then lift the seat. I have a Youtube video on doing it. As far as buying a battery check out Walmart. I got one there two years ago for something like $ 20 dollars plus trade in. It was their cheapest battery but is still going strong.

R

Rickcin

I am running a couple 2017 batteries. Signs of it going bad is not holding a charge, not charging fully, or a slow engine crank. Then it's time to replace. Walmart's price on their EverStart batteries is $29. I'm running a 2018 in my mower right now. At that price, it won't break your piggy bank if you don't get 5+ years.

R

Rickcin

I’m going to buy one at the local CC dealer for $54and they take my waste oil as well.

I do realize it’s more expensive than a local big box store or tractor supply.

smalltimerpm

smalltimerpm

I’m going to buy one at the local CC dealer for $54and they take my waste oil as well.

I do realize it’s more expensive than a local big box store or tractor supply.
It's More expensive but they always somehow find a way to do More for you! I like that you stick with your local dealer! Shows what a great customer you are!

D

davis2

Sounds like we live in the same world, governed by Mr. Murphy and his damn law!

E

Ericngreenbrier

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

R

Rickcin

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it
In this case, I’d rather avert the no start issue when I’m ready to cut grass😎

S

STEVES

The higher the CCA is usually the better & longer lasting battery. Had not luck with Walmart, just me I guess! And yes, why wait for a problem you know is coming!!

R

Rickcin

The higher the CCA is usually the better & longer lasting battery. Had not luck with Walmart, just me I guess! And yes, why wait for a problem you know is coming!!
I agree with both of your comments; I had a Walmart battery installed on my Honda Element once and it died at least two years sooner than an Interstate battery when the car was in a colder climate. Don’t think that involved any luck!

StarTech

StarTech

You got to remember Tramlaw buys from the cheapest source. I usually go with Duracell batteries from Battery Plus Bulbs. The Tramlaw batteries only have 90 day warranty where the Battery Plus one have 120 day warranty. Just can't afford the Die Hard ones.

R

Rickcin

You got to remember Tramlaw buys from the cheapest source. I usually go with Duracell batteries from Battery Plus Bulbs. The Tramlaw batteries only have 90 day warranty where the Battery Plus one have 120 day warranty. Just can't afford the Die Hard ones.
Agreed, there is definitely a range in quality along with the cost!
The Battery Store wants $59 for my tractor battery, the came price as my local Cub Cadet dealer.

G

Gord Baker

Use it until it no longer starts your tractor and them purchase a new one of equal or higher CCA.
Clean ALL battery cable terminations.

mechanizm

mechanizm

I think he referrring when you get off the mower shutting it down to do something and trying to restart when done. Had it happen to me in my PU vehicle started it drove a 1000 ft, shut down, got what I was doing done, and then the engine would not crank because the battery crashed. Completely dead as it was an internal failure.
sure, but that's the exception not the rule. batteries rarely go bad in the middle of a job.

S

STEVES

I wouldn't say rare, happened to me a couple times & also with my customers over the years. Still, at that age I would replace rather then walking back & going out to buy a battery.

M

motomike

With 4 auto/truck batteries, 2 lawn tractors and a motorcycle in the family I invested in a Foxwell BT-100 battery tester. It will show state of charge and perform a cca test and tell you when its time to replace an old or suspect battery. Well worth the $30 or so.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

With 4 auto/truck batteries, 2 lawn tractors and a motorcycle in the family I invested in a Foxwell BT-100 battery tester. It will show state of charge and perform a cca test and tell you when its time to replace an old or suspect battery. Well worth the $30 or so.
For battery life in a mower, it is all about the cold cranking amps, and how you maintain your battery. If you buy a 230 CCA battery and put it in a 22 ho twin cylinder engine and never trickle charge it, you might get a year or so. If you buy a 340 CCA battery and use it on the same size engine, and trickle charge it once a month, it will last 3-5 years. Your choice, buy an underpowered battery and never add water, trickle charge it etc. and it is not going to last. The brand of battery is less important than the proper CCA selection and maintenance.

M

motomike

I do have a jump start battery pack, however how can you start the tractor when jumping it since the seat sensor will not be enabled?
I've got a CC XT1 GT50 and my NOCO boost box will hook up with the seat down. My battery is dated NOV 19, so 3 1/2 yrs old and still tests like new. It's the OE factory battery. I usually charge it once or twice during the winter down time. Its a 230cca battery on a Kohler 25hp engine.