Battery issues with Snapper Pro 150

Je7255

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2010 Snapper Pro 150. It has been great, but I have been having trouble with the battery drawing down between mowing our yard from week to week. I had battery checked and they said it was still good. I changed voltage regulator. It is actually putting up about 13.8 amps. It never fails we have to put battery charger on it and once battery is charged it cranks and runs fine, but a week later I will have to charge it again. Any help would be appreciat

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the dark disconnect the one battery lead.
If it sparks you have a parrasitic load.
Leave one wire disconnected,
If the battery runs down then the battery is cactus.

AVB

Threads
As Bert said if you disconnect the battery and it drains down a week later. Then battery is bad. I have where batteries tested good but still have casing that had became conductive and drain the battery. Now of I have even batteries to reverse charge themselves too.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want to check for parasitic draw you need to connect a milliamp meter between one of the battery terminals and the wire that connects to the battery and measure, if any, the current draw. I doubt if the problem is parasitic draw. When the battery was checked did they just do a voltage check or did they do a high current amp draw test or an internal resistance test? A simple voltage test won't tell you its capacity. Most likely the battery is just bad. As batteries age the plates sulphate and reduce amp capacity. The battery will charge and work some but won't hold a charge. Partial freezing in the winter will cause about the same issue. Try the disconnect test already suggested.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually the bulk of batteries now days fail mechanically because the plates are so thin the plates break, twist or warp.
The defective plate drops to the bottom and provides an internal short.
It is a big problem for us rigid bike riders.