basket case yth1848xp

muddwrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good evening,
I just acquired a couple of riding lawn mowers that are basket cases one I'm working on now is a Husqvarna yth1848xp with the Kawasaki v twin engine fh531v-bs06 that doesn't run atm
I traced the no start on the engine back to the break switch and ordered a couple of those up, I have checked other ways to see if the engine does fire an run ( which it does). in the mean time I need to move this lawn ornament into the garage so I can work on it and am unable to push it backwards or forwards with out extreme effort. doesn't help that it has 4 flat cracked tires. (extreme push into the garage)
. (what I have done so far)
I've pulled the disengage mechanism from the backside and locked that into position , I've also taken apart the brakes, removed and wire wheeled the break disk which was rusted into place, pulled that off with a gear puller and cleaned and reinstalled back break pad, removed and cleaned pins from break caliper greased up pins with antisize and reinstalled on tractor, checked break linkage running to the pedal just to make sure that it wasn't kinked in any way shape or form (it wasn't).
removed the rear tires and emery clothed the rust off the axel shafts, greased the axels and hubs, aligned the keyway slots and reinstalled the key stalk.
operated the shifting lever to see if anything was frozen up, the mechanism on the side of the trans was moving, so I cleaned that up with some compressed air and sprayed it with pb blaster for lubrication.
the drive belt seems to be loose on the machine, does this have to be tight to be able to push manually one way or the other?

does anyone have any other ideas of something I'm missing.
I'm really hoping it's not the transmission, (if it is that anyone know what the cost of rebuilding that would be) trying to keep expense of repairs to minimum so I can try to resell this and not go broke.
thanks much, Stan

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove deck, remove drive belt & idler pulleys & inspect belt & bearings at center of pulleys for dragging, sloppy play, noise etc., pulleys should be inspected also where belt rides. After replacing drive belt etc., place rear on jack stands & chalk front wheels, both front & rear, crank it up & see if if trans. will go into gear, forward & reverse, let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

muddwrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the reply mark here's what I found out after jacking up the monster I noticed that the belt had a ton of slack in it and after looking at it closer I realized that the belt had been routed the wrong way after rerouting the belt the proper way I was able to move the beast manually. still waiting for interlock switches. thanks again for the help.