Bad coil or not

Threads
Before you decide that a coil is bad two problems i have noticed. Watch the way you tighten the bolts one will pull the coil away from the flywheel and the other will push it closer take your time and watch what happens. And second clean the magnents and and the coil it will revive a "dead coil".

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before you decide that a coil is bad two problems i have noticed. Watch the way you tighten the bolts one will pull the coil away from the flywheel and the other will push it closer take your time and watch what happens. And second clean the magnents and and the coil it will revive a "dead coil".

I just don't see what you are talking about. Any coil I have adjusted the coil is mounted with slotted holes. Install a .012 +/- thick paper card and have the magnet pull the coil plus hold it with one hand and tighten the screws with the other. If you are just talking about a few thousands one way or the other it will not make any difference. Not that I have tryed it but I have read that it could be as far away as .030 and still run. I have yet ever cleaned the rust or dirt off the magnets unless maybe I had a bad buildup of such. If the coil is bad it gets replaced not revived.

Threads
I just don't see what you are talking about. Any coil I have adjusted the coil is mounted with slotted holes. Install a .012 +/- thick paper card and have the magnet pull the coil plus hold it with one hand and tighten the screws with the other. If you are just talking about a few thousands one way or the other it will not make any difference. Not that I have tryed it but I have read that it could be as far away as .030 and still run. I have yet ever cleaned the rust or dirt off the magnets unless maybe I had a bad buildup of such. If the coil is bad it gets replaced not revived.

My team ran a test on a coil that was bad. We adjusted the air gap. Then unhooked the ground wire to elimiate the posability of any ground. Used an adjustable spark tester with an aligator clip cliped to a known good ground and had no fire at several adjustments (spark tester). Then noticing that the coil was rusty and so were the magnents on the flywheel, cleaned the rust off the facing areas and it sparked "to life". As far as the coil adjusting goes that was just an observation that I seen when we adjusted the air gap probaly wont matter but just an observation.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As far as cleaning the magnets and coil I would say if it works, it is a very easy and small job so why not do it. Next time I have the problem I will give it a try. Thanks

roncocenter

Threads
Here we go again if is isn't advertising it's spam.

you will know the coil is goin bad if the machine works for about ten minutes and shuts off and is hard to start right after. only starts after it cools down.
if thats the case the coil is bad and needs to be replaced.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
if you need new coil check out ___________.

roncenter

Appreciate any helpful advice you may have to offer...
BUT as you most likely noticed in the terms of use agreement you accepted when you joined...
NO Advertising.
You will find the Forum Rules & Terms of Use... at the bottom of Every page .

There are Many members here that Could be advertising with their posts.... but they Don't. Hope you will do likewise. :smile:KennyV