Export thread

Bad clutch

M

MJEWELL5

Hello all! Went to mow today, and the blades wouldn't engage. Found a bad 10 amp fuse and replaced it, still nothing. Looked underneath to make sure the clutch was still plugged in, and found that the connector had broken off of the clutch! Is this common? I found a new clutch for $365!! Seems kinda expensive for such a simple problem. Is there another fix for this?

B

bertsmobile1

Yes
You can put a small self tapper into the clutch then add a ring terminal to the broken wire
Once done tie the cables to the clutch with some zip ties.
Tary Fixes All has one of the best You tube videos showing the repair .

Mower King

Mower King

Hello all! Went to mow today, and the blades wouldn't engage. Found a bad 10 amp fuse and replaced it, still nothing. Looked underneath to make sure the clutch was still plugged in, and found that the connector had broken off of the clutch! Is this common? I found a new clutch for $365!! Seems kinda expensive for such a simple problem. Is there another fix for this?
This, a broken clutch connector on clutch, can happen from backing the mower into / over something, I've even seen that happen from backing it on a trailer too far.

M

MJEWELL5

Yes
You can put a small self tapper into the clutch then add a ring terminal to the broken wire
Once done tie the cables to the clutch with some zip ties.
Tary Fixes All has one of the best You tube videos showing the repair .
I also noticed that whatever it is that holds the clutch in place is gone too! It looks like it's supposed to be a 5/16x5-1/2" bolt. Does that sound right?

Mower King

Mower King

I also noticed that whatever it is that holds the clutch in place is gone too! It looks like it's supposed to be a 5/16x5-1/2" bolt. Does that sound right?
Yes, there is a bolt that holds the clutch from spinning on some of the Bad Boys, if you lost the bolt, the clutch spinning could have broke the connector then and not from running into something! When and if you replace whatever you need, use Blue Loctite!

M

MJEWELL5

Yes, there is a bolt that holds the clutch from spinning on some of the Bad Boys, if you lost the bolt, the clutch spinning could have broke the connector then and not from running into something! When and if you replace whatever you need, use Blue Loctite!
Thank you for your help! Much appreciated!

M

MJEWELL5

How hard is it to get the clutch off? I also lost the bolt and washer that holds the clutch on, but it doesn't seem to want to move. Any ideas?

Mower King

Mower King

How hard is it to get the clutch off? I also lost the bolt and washer that holds the clutch on, but it doesn't seem to want to move. Any ideas?
They can be stuck on the crank sometimes, just pull on it real good and or spray PB Blaster on the top of it so it can loosen its grip overnite....I use a puller that I made for clutches. When you do get it off, use Anti-Seize on the inside of the clutch when re-installed, so it will come off easier, if there is a next time! Don't forget Blue Loctite for all the attaching bolt threads though.

H

hlw49

https://xtremeope.com/ try them for the clutch better than OEM clutches and better prices

B

bertsmobile1

And don't pull down directly above your head because when it comes loos it will come down quickly and they are more than heavy enough to break noses let alone spectacles.

Joe Z

Joe Z

All good advice given. I replaced one on a badboy this past summer the clutch was a bear to get off. I used a mix of 50/50 of transmission fluid & acetone. applied a couple of times during the day & soaked it down over night. Next morning with a little "encouraging" it came off. Do not forget to put a bolt back where the missing piece was to keep the clutch from spinning or you will be doing this again. If you are buying new go to my Store Front to get a clutch for a lot less $$$. I did not have any issues with the one I bought there. https://amzn.to/3xeYqSl