Bad Boy ZT 50 bad transaxle?

Mortimer452

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bad Boy ZT 50, 2012 or 2013 model can't remember for sure. My son was mowing earlier this week, right side stopped working, he said it was "acting funny and really slow" before it stopped. I noticed the expansion tank was badly cracked, figured the fluid level maybe just got too low. The handlebar feels a little sloppy but the linkage all looks OK. I bought a new expansion tank (single tank for both sides), thought I would go ahead and change out hydrostatic fluid & filters on both sides.

When I pulled the filter what came out looked like pea soup, clearly some water and other gunk had gotten into the system. Both sides. I let it drain for a day, then lifted the front end and let it drain some more, replaced both filters, replaced expansion tank, and refilled. Still nothing on that right side, I can sorta hear it whine a little when I move the controls but no movement. Belt seems to be working fine I can see the pump turning.

I lifted the rear tires off the ground to investigate further, noticed the right side spins by hand much easier than the left side. Is that transaxle totally bad? Any way to DIY rebuild these things or is buying a new/reman unit pretty much the only option?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is either no oil or excessive wear in the motor.
And yes they are rebuildable

Keep on purging the system and remember the engine must be on the lowest speed it will keep running at or you just froth up the oil and never get the air out.
On some trannies I have resorted to putting my vacuum pump on the tank the suck the air out.

Its Me

Threads
They are all in one the Hydo. and the gear reduction, the more often you change the oil and the filter the longer they will last, don't leave it outside water will get where nothing else will get, if it spins freely you probable looking at a gear and they are not worth a rebuild, I think by the time you price one you will want to get another mower, don't go past 200 hours on the oil and filter change.

Mortimer452

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses. It's only got 250 hours on it, even with some contamination in there, could it really be worn out already?